• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

VIP Experiences

Alastair

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Rise of the Resistance
An interesting new venture by the park, now openly offering things like ERT and exclusive use of areas of the park on the site. I know that this was possible before, but will it now being more obvious increase the number of people that use it?

"we've got lot's of packages to choose from - including the Platinum Fastrack for all rdes - all day!"

Once again - the spelling, punctuation and grammar is top notch!

So they're basically finding a way to exploit guest ignorance and upsell features that have existed for a long time as VIP extras?

I really don't think that priority parking and ERT are that much if a big deal for anyone whos ever booked online, but the bit that made me lose it was the part about reserving a table at the Burger Kitchen. By nature a quick service restaurant is supposed to be quick and easy with high turnover. I'd be pretty pissed off if my local McDonaldsstarted holding tables for 'reservations'.

Not that any sane person that lives on this planet would do that!

Seems confused as to who it's actually aiming at, since it also mentions hiring out a ride after park close...

Not quite the VIP experience I got at Kings Island, where we were taken around the park by a member staff, queue-jumped whatever we wanted, priority seating at shows, buffet lunch, lots of freebies and a tour of the Beast for over $1000 per head...

What's wrong with bringing attention to various products that people who want to spend a lot of money can buy?

Not everyone knows about all that kinda stuff already bring available.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

We can reserve you a table at the new Cloud Cukoo Land Burger Kitchen for a delicious bite to eat.

Because nothing says 'Very Important Person' like a meal at a sub-standard burger joint.

I think the most confusing thing is that it says prices start from £150pp. Are they implying you have to pay that to have a table reserved somewhere? Or for ERT and Express Parking? That can't be right.

Unless of course you have to choose multiple options to create your own VIP package, which would then be more expensive. It just doesn't seem very clear for the starting price they have given.

:)

The reserving a table at Burger Kitchen reminds of the time (around 2006ish ? ) when Chessington were promoting the hire of your very own picnic bench for day for the princely sum of £50. :p

Not a bad idea though on the whole offering a perceived VIP service for a silly price. As long as there are people willing to pay to make themselves feel that bit more special. Costs Towers very little and get a good return. Much better than desperately trying to increase revenue per guest by over flogging Fastrack tickets like they are the be all and end all in terms of generating revenue. Though no doubt that will continue as well. :eek:

Think they need to sort out how to treat their "sub-prime" customers before they start attempting a VIP package myself.

I think these kind of VIP packages are aimed at companies who might have a conference at the hotel, and then towers can offer some ERT, or Express parking as part of the of the package. I doubt your average joe bloggs would ring up and pay a fortune for ERT or to hire a table in burger kitchen. But as a company or big group it is probably something you would be interested in.

Just looks like they are putting all of the premium products on one page on the website, corporate hospitality offer all of this anyway.

It has a limited market but the profit margin is high so it's a no-brainer really.

Rob said:
I think the most confusing thing is that it says prices start from £150pp. Are they implying you have to pay that to have a table reserved somewhere? Or for ERT and Express Parking? That can't be right.

Unless of course you have to choose multiple options to create your own VIP package, which would then be more expensive. It just doesn't seem very clear for the starting price they have given.

:)

I think that's the idea. By not making it clear what you get for £150, it forces you to ring them up anyway and they can then use crappy sales techniques to rob you of your wallet.

I would assume £150 would get you:
- V.I.P Parking and ERT
- Meet and greet in Farmyard
- Pizza Pasta reserved table
- Basic Fastrack package
- Personal planner (they are bound to charge you for that staff member 'planning' your day)

The small text at the bottom adds "From Taxis, to helicopter landings, personal tours to wedding proposals, we can sort it for you! Just give us a call and start your VIP Experience at the Alton Towers Resort" - so this is obviously aimed at those who have a lot of money on them. It's not aimed at your average guest, but is probably aimed at the small percentage of guests who have quite a bit of money. Or those who want to treat someone.

Longleat do VIP experiences - and I think Alton Towers should take note on how their pricing is set out: www.longleat.co.uk/vip - far more appealing and it gives you nice breakdown of what you get. I somehow can see Alton struggling with how they've set out their (very vague) VIP page.

It looks like a last minute attempt to get something on the website to showcase what they can offer for VIP guests, but have chosen awful examples. If that's the best they can suggest, they don't deserve to be charging anyone prices 'from £150'. For example it'd be more logical to have table reservations at Woodcutters or Towers Family Restaurant.

You can tell Merlin is run by marketers when a page on VIP packages doubles as a way for them to plug their new sub par fast food franchise.

Come to think about it, when you also take into account the in park posters and advertising within guide maps, the fact that they're genuinely putting conscious effort into marketing a quick service restaurant is even more testament to just how Greedy M£rlin are. If only they'd run a few more focus groups to get the damn product quality up to scratch!

This is no different than any other theme park or indeed attraction really, they all do it although maybe not advertising it as publicly on the website.

Of course it's expensive, and many would consider a rip off, but cheaply there is some sort of market there. Putting such a premium on this like this ensures it's not overused, aged let's face it won't really cause an impact on everyone else's day.

I know table reservations have been mentioned quite a bit in this topic, and aside from maybe being made for this vip experience stuff (where a staff member is likely with said people to ensure they're on time), I'm dead against this being offered anywhere else as say a single product. The restaurants are small enough without having tables out of use waiting for someone to turn up. It'd drastically reduce their already stretched capacity.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4

Love it. 'Meet and greet with a bunny and a donkey' followed by a reserved seat at the bloody Burger Kitchen. :eek:

I'm all for VIP packages. I love them. Lion keeper for a day, backstage tours, Birds of Prey experiences etc etc. I eat them up. If you can offer me something really unique and different then I'll bite your hand off and replace it with my wallet quite happily, but I fail to see what the 'Bespoke VIP' team can offer me that I can't book/buy myself on the day.

Novas said:
but I fail to see what the 'Bespoke VIP' team can offer me that I can't book/buy myself on the day.

Agree totally with you Novas.

There are two ways to approach this, you value only the wallet, or you value the customer and they pay you handsomely, and often happily for that...

Not sure about this one.

Yeah there are a lot of lazy wealthy people out there, who would be only too happy to throw money at someone to organise their day for them so while yes, there isnt much on there your average Joe Bloggs couldnt organise themselves, I dont think this VIP page is aimed at our average person.

What is interesting however is that if these people have the money, they will be staying in the hotels on site, so how about a hotel VIP package instead.... for example...

------
Stay over in a themed suite
Your own reserved table in one of the restaurants (best tables of course)
Bottle of bubbly
Maybe your own butler for the room
Your own transport into theme park (golf buggies perhaps?)
Car parking of course (or helicopter!)
Waterpark access and VIP changing room (that doesnt have left over kids nappies left in it)
Early ride time
Meet the actors, animals, etc etc in the park during the day
Tables reserved in the theme park
Your own guide for the day to take you around the park (if required)
Fastpass tickets for all the rides
Mini golf (with gold plated golf clubs (only kidding))
Priority exit from the car parks (dont know where, secret VIP road perhaps) to beat the queues
-------

Alton could sell this VIP package for a hefty premium, and I would bet money on it they would have takers. Personally, I dont think selling it as just a theme park add on will be enough, like I said, if you have the money then more likely or not you are also going to stay in the hotels and make the most of your time there.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. Alton Towers website VIP pages have been updated!

Unlike the previous page that just stated "starts from £150" with no clear indication as to what's included, the page now has packages and states what you get! Good move on making it clear what the product is about!

VIP Experiences