• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Visiting Parks Alone

Hew878787

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Do any of you go to Alton towers by yourself? If so what’s it like? I passed my driving test earlier this year and got a merlin pass recently but it’s so hard getting people to go when non of your friends are massively into theme parks. Massive effort to arrange it,

I’d feel like abit of a loner but at the same time I have all these free trips going to waste.:unamused:

Do any of you go to Alton towers by yourself? If so what’s it like? I passed my driving test earlier this year and got a merlin pass recently but it’s so hard getting people to go when non of your friends are massively into theme parks. Massive effort to arrange it,

I’d feel like abit of a loner but at the same time I have all these free trips going to waste.:unamused:

Depends what you are like I guess, I have friends who happily go and do any rides all day on their own and not be fussed, I know others who would happily wonder the park and gardens on their own, but probably not go on any rides on their own.

I’ve been in the past on my own, usually for a few hours or whilst waiting for friends but I don’t tend to do rides as I just feel a bit silly queing on my own and then going on the ride on my own. But it’s nice on a sunny day to sit there and watch the world go by.

Yeah that’s what puts me off being stuck in queues by myself with a load of gobby chavs, and just walking around alone. Think it’s just a confidence thing which I don’t have much of sometimes.

I go on rides by myself if my partner or friends don’t want to. I’ve also wandered around the park by myself. I got majorly judged by a chav in the galactica queue but you see single riders all the time.
There’s always other enthusiasts I’m sure you could meet up and ride with

Do any of you go to Alton towers by yourself?
Going by myself on Friday so ye I do. I get what you mean, walking around, queueing and going on rides on your own looks silly and people might judge you. I went during school trip season full of teenagers and I was fine. If people give me dirty looks I don't care tbh and I just ignore it. Listen, if you want to go to the park but your friends don't like going, then go on your own. It's fine honestly. You only live once so don't waste trips just cus you don't have others to go with. Besides, being on your own means going on rides when you want, whenever you want. I know it's good to have others for company, but it's the rides you go for and the experience is the same whether with someone else or not. If you enjoy a ride more with others, then it shows you enjoy it cus of others company, which makes it a weak ride

Last edited:
Benefits of going on your own:

Choose what time to wake up and go to the park.
Choose what rides to go on and when.
Spend the whole day exploring the Gardens/Towers/Grounds if you want to.
Choose when to eat and what to eat.
Do what ever you want.
Leave whenever you feel like it.

Ask your self this. If you have a day off and have no other plans, what's better? A drive into the countryside and getting some exercise and jumping on a couple of rollercoasters, or lazing around watching some god-awful TV and being bored?

I go to parks on my own when nobody else can get the time off.
Done it for four decades, never bothered me in the slightest, had a great many conversations with other queue sufferers at the time.
Now you have your transport sorted, you have no reason not to.
If you find it hard on your own...stop!
At least you will have given it a shot.

Yeah that’s what puts me off being stuck in queues by myself with a load of gobby chavs, and just walking around alone. Think it’s just a confidence thing which I don’t have much of sometimes.
This is exactly me! It might sound melodramatic but I admire those of you who can do things like that and not "give a ****" what other people think when they see you walking around on your own!

Admins - is there any chance this topic could be made into a thread? Or merged with an existing one if there is one?
I think there's a lot of discussion to be had on visiting parks alone and it may well help those nervous about such issues to overcome them. Thanks!

Last edited:

Well you could always meet me there ay

I only wish I could get going to Towers on my own. Wife always wants to tag along.

I've done Busch gardens, Universal Orlando and SeaWorld Orlando on my own while my Wife, kids and sister in law have went to the Disney parks. I don't like Disney so I drop them off at whatever park they are going to and head off on my merry way elsewhere. I love doing the parks on my own.

Haha yeah.

I need to start going to some meet ups if there are any. Used to back around 2004/2005 with Kaycee & Craig and others who I haven’t spoken to in years off here or the other site I can’t remember.

Well I'm going on my own on Friday and judging on how quiet it's been today, I'm buzzing. The weather is supposed to be similar so great

I'm happy to visit a themepark all on my own. I've done so many times in the past. When I visit with Jess, Jess can't go on the rides due to medical reasons, so I'm often in the queue lines on my own. I'm used to it and it isn't a problem. I do meet over the years many people that visit parks on their own.

Also you get to use the SRQ ;)

Admins - is there any chance this topic could be made into a thread? Or merged with an existing one if there is one?
I think there's a lot of discussion to be had on visiting parks alone and it may well help those nervous about such issues to overcome them. Thanks!

Done! Not too sure whether for General Discussion or Corner Coffee (depends in what direction the chat goes) but I'll leave it here for now :)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to parks by yourself, even if it is better than friends. I essentially did Florida by myself back in May and Universal with the single rider made doing everything so much easier. I went with just my Mum, but she wasn't too bothered about riding certain stuff which I can totally get down with.

I also did Tripsdrill and Holiday Park whilst coming back from a convention in Stuttgart with my friends who aren't interested in parks (not the same way I am at least), but that made it a lot of easier just to pop in to these places, get the creds and just relax for a bit. UK parks in particular as well can be beneficial as if you have a MAP or an annual pass to another park and you can just unwind and get out of the house for a couple of hours. Towers in particular is great at this as you can also explore the gardens, go the hotels, the waterpark, the spa etc at your own pace on multiple visits if you live nearby (although the opening hours don't help...)