• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

War Hero Not Allowed To Ride Air - News Article

I think this is disgraceful... It must of been so upsetting for him to be told he can't ride due too a amputated! All the people staring, laughing! Such a disgrace.

Why would people be laughing?

It's exactly the same as someone not being tall enough, someone not having the mandatory 3 working limbs.. Only thing this article seems to be about, apart from wanting to wind up Daily Mail readers, is that the restrictions have changed.

ThemeParkJack said:
I think this is disgraceful... It must of been so upsetting for him to be told he can't ride due too a amputated! All the people staring, laughing! Such a disgrace.
What would truly have been disgraceful is if they let him on regardless and then something bad happened to him.

The only issue here is Towers I think have lacked in communication to disabled guests about the change at the beginning of the day when they receive their disabled wristbands, he should never have had to hear about it on the station platform. At the end of the day a well respected and very safe manufacturer have said it isn't safe to ride and they wouldn't have done that without reason.

This really wound me up when I saw it.

I dealt with a few similar incidents in my time at the park, and as much as he says it was a humiliating experience, this is someone who has gone running to the papers about it to try and drum up some sympathy... not exactly the actions of someone who feels humiliated, is it? The Daily Mail is exactly the kind of paper to play on the whole 'war hero' thing.
I think the most likely sequence of events was that a member of staff who, to their credit, was more well-versed in the manual regarding disabled restrictions than a lot of staff usually are (which is why I can believe he had been on before), politely explained the situation (all awhile dreading the inevitable backlash), and this guy kicked off big time, drew a load of attention to himself, demanded refunds, threatened to go to the papers, quoted the DDA and then stormed off. I severely doubt people were pointing and laughing, I never ever witnessed other guests pointing and laughing at amputees or any other disabled guest.

I might be wrong. :) But H&S is H&S. And it is a MASSIVE pain in the backside sometimes. I think this guy has lost his dignity all by himself though.