• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wardley's autobiography published

Rob said:
As well as selling Alton Towers: Past and Present, a new book has been on sale in ATH at least (not sure I've seen it on park though). Amusement Park Rides by Martin Easdown. It's a small book on the history of rides and is really nicely put together, apart from the fact it states that Oblivion opened in 2001, oops! So there's no reason why Towers couldn't or shouldn't sell John Wardley's autobiography.

:)

I have that book, was being sold at a local garden centre. Surprised Towers sell it as very little of the book is to do with them, I got the feeling that the author preferred older attractions and barley mentioned Alton. When they did they got a few of the facts wrong so obviously hadn't spent long on that section.

Back on topic this is a good find. I'm owed a birthday present by someone so I might point it out to them ;)

Rob said:
As well as selling Alton Towers: Past and Present, a new book has been on sale in ATH at least (not sure I've seen it on park though). Amusement Park Rides by Martin Easdown. It's a small book on the history of rides and is really nicely put together, apart from the fact it states that Oblivion opened in 2001, oops! So there's no reason why Towers couldn't or shouldn't sell John Wardley's autobiography.

I've got that book too! But I ordered mine off Amazon. Some glorious photos in their of turn-of-the-century rides, particularly from Blackpool. I love the 'Rainbow Wheel', basically a cross between Hex and a ferris wheel!

I'm very excited to read about this new venture by Wardley and I'm planning on buying the book at some point, either for myself or for another geek's birthday (ahem, Cheese), but I'd like to hear reviews first on the content before buying.

Quite incredibly, this is currently the 55th best selling book on Amazon! Never underestimate the power of enthusiasts! :p

John Wardley is currently outselling Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, the Hobbit and every Harry Potter book.

Probably because its first day of release versus years and years later. There's only so many times you can buy the hobbit or harry potter. ;)

I'm not really interested until it comes out on kindle, then I may grab it.

Really would have liked this to come out on Kindle, that said i have never been a star struck person but getting to speak to John a few times allowed me to come close to that (having 4 bottles of wine appear at our table during a meal, bought by Mr Wardley does indeed appear high in my lift of epic moments in life).

He is top of the field he works in, hard to find people who fit that bill really.

Spotted it on pre-order, already received it from Amazon. A good read, but could have done without the glossy 'John at Home' centrefold pages. Especially the topless shots.

And who knew Claude Mabillard is also Switzerland's most successful Subway franchisee. It's full of great tidbits like that.

I hope that he takes the opportunity to air some greivances. Everyone has them in life and it'd be interesting to hear his frustrations within the industry. He's been very diplomatic and almost politician-like when questioned about some issues in the past. At the end of the day he can talk about what he wishes, but here's hoping.

Finally. a holy book of Wardleyism :D

*Orders copy and then sits by letterbox wearing John Wardley mask*

I wonder how long it's going to take me to learn the book by heart? :D

The kindle version is out now and it's even cheaper at £6.17

Think ill buy it on kindle and read it on my devices as I'm not good at waiting

Just finished the first two chapters, and its a brilliant read so far. I think I might be working late tonight to make up for a long lunch :)

After my longish lunch, and reading this evening, I have finished the book. I really enjoyed it, and think most people will to.

I am not going to spoil it, but I think there will be a few surprises in it for people.

I just wish I could ask if he still feels the same way about Merlin now, as he did when he wrote the book, after seeing what has happened to his rides at CWOA? (Flume and RMT)

Ian

davewazere said:
The kindle version is out now and it's even cheaper at £6.17

Think ill buy it on kindle and read it on my devices as I'm not good at waiting
Ahhhhh balls! Knew I should have waited!!

cubwolf said:
I have John joining me on my radio show Friday at 11.30 to chat about the book etc.

You can listen live at www.harbororoughfm.co.uk or via tune in radio and I will upload it somewhere afterwards if you cant listen live.

Potential Spolier From Book

Ask him if there is any chance he will publish the video of him doing the magic trick at 9 years old on You Tube :)

Thanks,

Ian

Would have has the book by now... if I had bothered to update my card details with Amazon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2