• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wardley's autobiography published

935930_582031125161403_1280437200_n.jpg

The Alton Towers Guide:
"John Wardley's signed autobiography now available in Buy The Smiler"

So, anyone here going to rush to The Smiler to buy a signed copy? :p

Good to see Alton Towers selling copies, they would have been fools not to!

James said:
935930_582031125161403_1280437200_n.jpg

The Alton Towers Guide:
"John Wardley's signed autobiography now available in Buy The Smiler"

So, anyone here going to rush to The Smiler to buy a signed copy? :p

Good to see Alton Towers selling copies, they would have been fools not to!
I don't know whether buy it or not

GaryH said:
Is it true later Kindle versions of the book have a section towards the end about The Smiler?

Yep, which is kind of ironic considering the signed paperback being sold in The Smiler shop doesn't contain anything about The Smiler (or Thirteen). It explains why the final chapter in the paperback ended quite abruptly as well.

I wonder whether Alton Towers requested for this to be removed as it was released before The Smiler opened, or whether it was just a publishing error?

My copy of the book has The Smiler in it :)

It's a paperback version from Amazon but it's marked third edition inside the cover, I didn't realise that actually meant stuff had been added.

No mention of The Smiler in the copy I have. How many pages does the book that mentions The Smiler have? My version ends on page 156.

:)

157, so there can't be much more, just a paragraph or so... which is odd as the Smiler section takes up quite a few pages :S

He mentions some of the reasons the project was delayed which might be why it was initially cut. The very last bit is also him ridding it which I swear didn't happen until after the books initial release (which makes sense now I know it's been changed)?

If I get chance later I'll give a brief overview of The Smiler section for those feeling left out :)

Well that sure sucks. I'm not going to buy it again for the sake of a few pages though.

Im really disappointed by this - the release of the book should have been delayed until the smiler opened then, i feel short changed.

I'm disappointed too. Bit of a shame. Hopefully someone may go to the lengths of putting up a transcript of The Smiler section online.

Can you get MAP discount on the book in park?

It wouldn't surprise me if in a few weeks towers do have copies that have the Smiler section, after they have sold through of the old versions.

James said:
Hopefully someone may go to the lengths of putting up a transcript of The Smiler section online.
I think there would be copywrite issues with that.

Seems entirely ridiculous that the book was released and within a couple of months has now had extras added :/

Yeah it's really quite strange. I'd love to lead the new bits about The Smiler, but I'm not sure that I want to pay £10 for another copy of the book.

James said:
Hopefully someone may go to the lengths of putting up a transcript of The Smiler section online.

I won't just copy and paste it as I'm sure that would break some copyright rules (especially as some people that read this probably haven't bought the book at all) plus I don't know where the original version ends. But I will try and put a summery up of the really interesting stuff although sadly I won't have time tonight (or tomorrow). That is unless some else can beat me to it.

Yeah, I guess it would tread into copyright issues.

I had a little look at the 'look inside' on Amazon to see whether The Smiler section is on there but it only goes up to Th13teen and The Swarm.

Edit: Tim: The original version skips Th13teen completely and ends with a small, rushed bit about The Swarm. :)

Does it end with the line "Perhaps designing theme park rides isn't so fatuous and puerile after all."?

Didn't realise it cut out Th13teen as well although to be fair it's not a very large bit and nothing I can think of we didn't already know.

I've just had a look at the preview on Amazon. Chapter 11 on the preview seems to start on page 106 whereas in the original copy it starts on page 110. So it does look like parts may have been cut from the book. Tim, does your version contain photographs? Just wondering if these are the pages that have been cut.