• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Water parks

Yep I can understand why then it is such an issue. Will be interesting to see if they do react to any of the feedback that’s been left on social media since yesterday’s announcement. Plus if people do cancel which might force them to change the policy.

I think for now they have covid considerations to hide behind so we won't see any movement more than a small increase in slot duration any time soon.

Hopefully it'll cost them heavily enough in cafe food and drink spend as people won't waste their time doing that while in the dome fo them to rethink.

The water park is pretty much the only thing included in the premium price of a Center Parcs break. Continuing the restrictions in this way is surely going to put some people off, but if there is a drive to restrict or monetise entry, now is unfortunately probably the best time to implement that.

I agree that a large part of the appeal of the pool for me is the opportunity to relax and have a beer in the pleasant environment. Restricting time slots will really limit that type of visit.

Incident at Waterworld in Stoke yesterday, they had to evacuate after people started experiencing eye irritation, nausea and other symptoms.

What I find odd is that tests on the water came back normal according to the article below, what would have caused such a reaction then?

Finally my waterpark knowledge has a use ...

In the park I have worked in, the pools were divided into several sections, so water from one pool couldn't flow/be pumped into another section. Therefore you had to test in several specified locations and a reading that you got one would never mirror what you got in another.

However, what typically happens in this kind of instance is an uncontrolled release of something that is pretty grim when concentrated but is safe and does good things with its intended mix. By the time you take the reading it's fully diluted but the damage is done.

For this reason, some water parks don't do any sort of chemical release during opening hours but if you get a certain reading during operation, you sometimes need to respond.

Incident at Waterworld in Stoke yesterday, they had to evacuate after people started experiencing eye irritation, nausea and other symptoms.

What I find odd is that tests on the water came back normal according to the article below, what would have caused such a reaction then?

Looking at tripadvisor reviews, this is an ongoing issue and has been a thing for a while now. We were looking at going in March before stumbling upon the less-than-complimentary trip reports. How they can still be allowed to operate with such a problem I've no idea.

Finally my waterpark knowledge has a use ...

In the park I have worked in, the pools were divided into several sections, so water from one pool couldn't flow/be pumped into another section. Therefore you had to test in several specified locations and a reading that you got one would never mirror what you got in another.

However, what typically happens in this kind of instance is an uncontrolled release of something that is pretty grim when concentrated but is safe and does good things with its intended mix. By the time you take the reading it's fully diluted but the damage is done.

For this reason, some water parks don't do any sort of chemical release during opening hours but if you get a certain reading during operation, you sometimes need to respond.
Thanks for sharing! Really interesting, I don’t really know much about water parks and how they operate.
Looking at tripadvisor reviews, this is an ongoing issue and has been a thing for a while now. We were looking at going in March before stumbling upon the less-than-complimentary trip reports. How they can still be allowed to operate with such a problem I've no idea.
Yeah this definitely isn’t the first time something like this has happened at Waterworld, I’m sure I’ve read similar reports before. My family and I went back in October, I was nervous as I had read some poor reviews after booking, but we ended up having a fun day there with no issues luckily. I have been put off going again though, as this seems to be an ongoing issue that needs sorting.

I don’t really feel the response in the article from Waterworld is acceptable either ‘blown out of proportion’ really? You had to evacuate and customers required medical treatment, that’s pretty serious in my opinion. No one goes to a water park and expects to come out at the end of it unwell.

The problem is often caused by an accidental mixing of cleaning stuff containing chemicals that react with the pool water treatment stuff, sodium hypochlorite.
Gives off chlorine gas, bad irritant.
Some people like to sterilise their changing cubicle before using it, and if they use an ammonia based cleaner, eyes can start to sting.

I have always felt Waterworld has been badly run over the years, and the management come across as very arrogant, often dismissing customer feedback and almost accusing people of lying on reviews etc.

The latest reviews from people who have been at the venue over the last few days are an interesting read, including lifeguards not being able to see due to the chemicals and asking customers what colour the lights were on the slides, to management telling customers the vents were broken and couldn’t be fixed.

Following on from the closed topic on water parks, there does seem a very north south divide on them… in the north you have scarbourgh, blackpool , Stoke and towers in the south. ? Are there even any left outside of the likes of butlins/center parcs ?

Yes we have Coral reef at Bracknell, but i still struggle to see it as a major park