• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

WDW Animal Kingdom: General Discussion

I think Star Wars would be much more suited for Epcot than Animal Kingdom. I still remain with a "meh" reaction to this entire Avatar project however.

The Disney Research Hub have posted a YouTube video online which shows an animatronic robot that can catch and juggle coloured balls, one-up on the Mr. Potato Head from Toy Story Mania. It really is rather intriguing.

http://youtu.be/83eGcht7IiI

Potential for the new Avatarland perhaps?

From Screamscape:

2013/2014 - New Festival of the Lion King Show - Rumor - (1/3/13) Screamscape sources tell us that a small group of Imagineers were spotted backstage at Animal Kingdom, plans in hand. From what I’m told the plans did not look to be anythin

g to do with Avatar, and the location they were poking around in also seems to confirm this as well.
If the information is correct, they were looking at an empty plot of land that runs between the Dawa Bar and a perimeter road around the edge of the park. I’ve attached a rough image showing off the general area where I’ve been led to believe they were looking, though the actual site may only be a portion of the area I’ve marked on the map. So the million dollar question is… just what are they planning on putting here?
If I had to speculate a bit, I’d guess that this could possibly be the new future home for The Festival of the Lion King show. This assumes that the park is still planning on saving the show and moving it to a new location when Camp Minnie-Mickey is transformed into Pandora: The World of Avatar. Putting a new version of the Lion King show here would actually fit right into the existing Africa theme of the land, and add a new attraction to this corner of the park which has previously only had the Safari tour. Again… assuming that they want to save and move the Lion King show, it would be smart to begin work on the new show venue first. Since Avatar will also bring an end to the character meet ‘n greet facilities at Camp Minnie-Mickey, I would also assume that we could also see some kind of new character meet ‘n greet area added here as well. Perhaps something indoor, similar to the newly opened Pete’s Sideshow at The Magic Kingdom. If anyone else knows more, please do fill us in.

db_2013_0103_AKWorkSite1.jpg

Screamscape now has proof that the new Lion King show will be moving to the sight highlighted above:

2013/2014 - New Festival of the Lion King Show - Rumor - (1/4/13) Today we’ve got proof of the plan to move The Festival of the Lion King show to Africa, in the form of improvement blueprints Disney submitted ahead of construction. As you can see in the new image, not only with the pathway in front of Dawa lead into a new African expansion area that will include a new copy of the Lion King show venue (layered over the plans) but will also involve the construction of a new pathway to the South, ending at the Cast Member bridge for now, but this pathway will eventually connect into the backside of the Avatar land as well, allowing for better traffic flow in and out of Avatar than it would have now with the existing one path in and out.
It also looks like a few little things here and there will be added as part of the expansion, which could be a new character meet ‘n greet area. I’m told some of this area is currently used as a start-up point for the Wild Animal Trek upcharge experience, so that could also be incorporated as well.
db_AK_LionKinginAfrica1.jpg

WDW gate checks are mostly to reassure the public and make them feel safe, but frankly if someone actually wanted to get a gun or other weapon into any park they could do so with ease.

If you wanted to full proof about it you'd have to have the equivalent of airport security in place, which would be impossible with the gate numbers that they get.

Minor, but positive, news. :)

Screamscape said:
General Park News - (6/11/13) WDW News Today reports that after a 15 year absence, a number of the original ‘laser’ generated special effects that soon vanished from the attraction back when it opened as Countdown To Extinction have suddenly returned as part of the special effects sequence for the start and ending time travel moments.

I've tried to see if there is any mention of this elsewhere, but couldn't find anything. I know I'm quite slow off the mark here, but it seems the flying dragon that was rumoured for Avatar Land was to open New Fantasyland...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqve5mPRK0c

Apologies if this has been seen elsewhere. I'm having a Disney video evening!

Yup they basically denied the Dragon to start with that was seen flying over Magic Kingdom as a teaser then it appeared at the opening of new Fantasyland and hasn't been seen since. I really hope Avatarland doesn't come into being which is the same thoughts as quite a lot of the Disney Fan community, so I hope they listen to us.

I would quite like to see it. Sure, it's a rubbish film, but the environment that they could create would be amazing. AK certainly needs more to it than it currently has, although if it's down to replacement then get rid of Dinoland USA

You can NOT get rid of DINOSAUR the ride which is in Dinoland, one of the best rides in the park, why not make a artic themed area?

Screamscape said:
2017 - PANDORA:
THE WORLD OF AVATAR
(10/12/13) The Disney Parks Blog surprised everyone this morning with an update with artwork for the Avatar land, now coming to Animal Kingdom in 2017. The details were first leaked at the D23 Expo in Japan this week and now online to everyone. According to the description, guests will encounter awe-inspiring floating mountains, wander through a nighttime jungle of bioluminescent plants that are alive with light and sound and discover what it feels like to fly in the sky riding a Banshee.
When Avatar opens, more changes will also come to the rest of the Animal Kingdom park. They will open a new nighttime spectacular show full of music, floating lanterns, water screens and animal imagery on the Discovery River. Other nighttiume entertainment will be added around the park including live performers and a new nighttime version of the Kilimanjaro Safaris. In other words… Animal Kingdom’s hours will finally be increased and the park will likely be open after dark nightly.

Ooft, suddenly not quite as anti-Avatar as I was at first! Here's the link to the Disney Parks Blog post.

Only small pics available unfortunately.

nUu9x3v.jpg

O9PxUsb.jpg

cIXsnVR.jpg

czQQNdM.jpg

fsWMwQc.jpg

Boat ride is looking delectable.

Wow that looks stunning! It's going to be one heck of a challenge to build by the looks of things, something only Disney could dare dream to do.

:)

This looks amazing :) Can't see this being easy project to do! Problery the hardest thing they will do to date.

As Rob said, it something only Disney would think of doing and pulling it off.

A few more things I've just come across regarding Avatar Land. Firstly this video from Disney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3fkuaQNGHI#

Secondly, this article is well worth a read. It outlines some of the details and rumours for the new land.

The new E Ticket ride is likely to be similar to Soarin' however the article claims that this version will add more punch to the ride. They also think that once on board the seats will tilt forward a la B&M flying coaster and the screens will be below the loading platform.

I personally think this development is extremely exciting and possibly the most ambitious theme park development undertaken ever. The ride systems may not sound as exciting as what Universal have done and are doing with Harry Potter but this is going to be a truly immersive land on a grand scale.

:)