WDW Animal Kingdom: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Sam, 29th Jun 2012.

1. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    It's been a while so here is a new Avatar update.

First of all a couple of new aerial photos from MickeyXtreme:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some ground level photos from bioreconstruct on Twitter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not too sure about the smaller floating mountains on sticks, they look a bit silly really, especially from the car park. I'm not sure how Disney could make them look better either.

The boat ride will apparently be the same ride system as Pirates in Shanghai although will not use screens in the same way; their use is more limited and it will have a different type of wow factor.

:)

2. tayspru

tayspru TowersStreet Member

That last photo seems to be taken from the cast member access road - it's the same view I had every day on the way to work on the F bus , so don't think it's a real guest perspective !

3. cptnmingo

cptnmingo TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    How can I pick just one?
    WOW! Awesome photos, must have used a drone for the overheads... I am excited for this but it's still a long way off. We're visiting in late March 2017, does anybody have any idea what new stuff will be ready by then?

4. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

It's likely to be Summer 2017 at the earliest, possibly could be fall 2017

5. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    More new aerial photos from MickeyXtreme:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Considering this is meant to be opening sometime in 2017 there is still a lot to do. I still can't wait to see the finished product though.

Scott and jon81uk like this.
  6. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

I've seen lots of rumours that it is heavily delayed. Should still open in 2017, but more like November 2017 not the originally planned before summer 2017.

7. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    At the D23 Destination D event held over the weekend, it was confirmed that Pandora - The World of Avatar is set to open in summer 2017. They also showed off the bridge that will connect the area with the rest of the park:

[​IMG]

You can read more on the Disney Parks Blog.

8. KingNemesis

KingNemesis TowersStreet Member

The link you provided just lead to the image, I assume you were referencing this

Also they have shown off the Animatronics and wow... we are on our way to uncanny valley here people, everybody on the hype train!

For a quick 15 second clip:

For a 10 minute clip of the presentation:

and...

Last edited: 21st Nov 2016
  9. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Some stunning new aerial photos from WDWMAGIC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the details are really showing through now!

Mi-Nigle and AstroDan like this.
  10. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    It has just been announced by Bob Iger that Pandora - The World of Avatar will open on May 27th!

[​IMG]

EDIT:

And after huge delays, Disney have announced that the Rivers of Light nighttime show will officially open on Friday 17th February.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9th Feb 2017
    Andrew likes this.
  11. Maelstrom

Great video below which aired on the ABC TV network in America yesterday. Great tour of the Pandora and includes shots on board the rides (you get a good luck at the boat ride). The area looks amazing and looks like Disney have done a fantastic job.

Marcus likes this.
  12. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    With only a month to go until opening day here are a few stunning photos of the area:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really is going to be something else at night!

MrJinx likes this.
  13. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Huge picture update over on TPR. There are too many pictures to pick out the best, but just seeing that it seems like maybe Disney have outdone Universal with HPWW here. Absolutely insane detail!

James and Rob like this.
  14. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Absolutely superb.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

15. Maelstrom

It looks like Disney have done an amazing Job, the area just looks fantastic. I think the area will prove a lot of people wrong from 5+ years ago when the area was first announced who said Disney had made the wrong decision to build this area and it was in the wrong park.

Animal Kingdom has always been my favourite theming wise of the Disney World parks and with the addition of Pandora and the recently opened Rivers of Light make this truly a full day/night park now. Cant wait to visit in person next year.

Rob and KingNemesis like this.
  16. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Wow, wow, WOW! Okay, I've said for a long time that I felt this was going to be unlike anything else ever even attempted in a theme park and it does not look like I am going to be disappointed. This is an incredible and immersive themed area with spectacular visuals and a level of detail that you do not often see.

This could be controversial, especially amongst Potter fans, but I feel that Disney have more than surpassed both Harry Potter areas at Universal Orlando. Of course I need to visit to confirm my thoughts however from what I can tell the theming here just seems so much more intense and the area more complex/explorable. But the big point is this, and to be fair to Alvey he gets it spot on, because Pandora is based on the world overall and not the film or events in the film it can be fully enjoyed and appreciated by all. I'm not saying that the Harry Potter areas can't be but you do need some understanding of the films to make sense of what's going on in the rides and to appreciate what is what in Hogsmede/Diagon Alley. However in Pandora is does not matter, it is just a themed area based on a world that anyone can look at and think 'wow'. Disney/James Cameron have got it spot on.

Great to hear that Flight of Passage really does take Soarin' to another level in terms of the experience and thrill. The boat ride seems to be a delight too.

But on to the big question, will this be as successful as Harry Potter? Of course not, there is no way in a million years that this will generate even half of the merchandise/F&B sales that the Potter areas have. And that is the big difference between a strong and weak IP. Avatar is a perfect IP for Animal Kingdom (I know many disagree but just look at the photos and try telling me that it does not enhance what is already a beautiful park) but it is just not as marketable. Disney will be hoping that Star Wars is the Harry Potter competitor.

Disney have well and truly upped it here. I cannot wait to see Universal's response with Super Nintendo World! Let the theme park wars continue!

AstroDan and Tim like this.
  17. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I've said from day one that if they based this on the world of Pandora rather than the movie we'd have something spectacular. So glad that they have done this (and honestly knew they would when the name was revealed as Pandora, not Avatar Land).

as a massive Harry Potter fan I cant quite agree this is better (maybe better than Hogsmeade but not Diagon Alley) but this further elevated Animal Kingdom as my favourite park.

18. evilcod

evilcod TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean - Paris
    Looks amazing!
    I'd love to hear updated opinions from people who posted on page 1 of this topic. (@Sam )

Sam, Jordan and Panda like this.
  19. Jordan

Jordan TS Contributor

I enjoyed the re-reading the original posts this morning but wasn't going to say anything ;)

Sam likes this.
  20. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I'm just going to leave this incredible drone footage here: