• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

WDW Epcot: General Discussion

Benzin said:
The idea of a Frozen themed ride fills me with immense joy...

It would even fit into the Norway area with rather minimal clashing...

Just imagine them providing an immense sequence with 'Let It Go' blasting out several speakers... Offt...
But which version of "Let it go"? Demi or Idina Menzel? :p

Screamscape said:
Late 2013 - Spice Road Table - (1/14/14) Pictures of the new Spice Road Table, now soft-open, at the Morocco Pavilion at Epcot can be found at the OrlandoSentinel.

Looks reaaaaal nice in those photos, well done Disney. :)

Screamscape said:
Disney - (2/10/14) Following the runaway success of Frozen, which has now surpassed The Lion King as Disney’s all-time highest-grossing animation film, Variety reports we can expect to see the Frozen IP kept alive and well for years to come through various new projects. They are already looking into possible film sequels, a Broadway adaptation, video games and of course… ways to integrate Frozen into Disney’s theme park empire.

Seems closer and closer to being confirmed. :)

Well here it is, official conformation Frozen is coming to Epcot, replacing Maelstrom (as expected). And to polish the turd even more, Disney are adding a 'Frozen' touch to Cinderella's castle come November:

FCS796642.png

I don't mind the changes to the castle, it might seem to be messing with tradition a little, but ultimately there's still the princess link there anyway. As for Epcot though - ugh! The whole World Showcase area isn't there for characters to be shoehorned in. Any rides/attractions in there should be related to the relevant country, not just to chuck an IP in. Seems like a knee jerk change on the cheap to me - with a little thought (and money) they could have done something half decent in New Fantasyland, where stuff like this belongs.

The whole point of the World Showcase is to indulge in mini pockets of culture from various corners of the globe, with the occasional faint whiff of Disney making their mark such as the Donald boat ride in Mexico. But it's obvious Frozen will become glaringly obvious with its arrival in Norway, most likely tarnishing the pavillion, being labelled as a major investment when it'll be nothing of the sort and milked for the next decade.

I'll miss Maelstrom as it's one of the attractions at Disney I immediately thought that Blackpool had whipped with its own version (Valhalla).

I know very little about Epcot but it does seem a strange addition. I have no idea what Maelstrom was either? Is this likely to be a substantial ride of any sorts? They could have done something pretty special with Frozen if they'd put their minds to it but it does appear to be a rushed job to get something in quickly just because of how popular it is.

:)

It was Disney's much smaller and more child friendly version of Valhalla, quite a charming yet seemingly underrated ride. It was never meant to be a substantial attraction, and seeing as Frozen will just be a re theme, it's safe to say that won't be a substantial attraction either. Disney will however market it as one.

Looks like Maelstrom shuts on the 5th Oct, as i can book fast pass+ up until that date, from the 6th its no longer an option. I am visiting on the 2nd Oct so will get one last ride. Although i thought it was overall a poor ride when ridden previously.

Maelstrom also had the creepy jingoistic Norwegian film post-ride didn't it? Wonder what they'll do with that.

Disney were reportedly in a difficult position with regards to Norway. Generally the Government of the country foots a yearly bill for upkeep of the area and for improvements needed to keep the area 'fresh' - however Norway hasn't really done much in the way of donations for nearly a decade now. It was starting to get a bit sad - that post Maelstrom film was so dated it was hilarious. From what I've read Disney gave an 'update this or lose it' offer to Norway, which they weren't prepared to match. Norway apparently feel that their country is being used to advertise for the slightly more fictional Arendelle already and are a bit peeved.

On one hand, I'm pleased they'll be updating a more tired area of EPCOT (thought admittedly one of my favourites, I'd love to visit Scandanavia), but on the other it seems very out of place to dump a movie themed area in the middle of showcase. I admire the total lack of Disney characters at EPCOT (other than minor attractions and meet and greets) and the more adult feel - I just hope that this doesn't destroy some of that.

That said, I can't see anything other than an overlay to the existing ride structure.

I don't understand why this is being built at EPCOT. Shouldn't it be in Studios?

Studios space has always been limited, the planners own fault - squashed between 2 major roads and hemmed in by its own carpark has made outward expansion difficult. If they got rid of the Motor stunt show they'd have plenty of room but that looks unlikely. I agree, it should be in studios or Magic Kingdom, but one has just finished a massive expansion and the other is out of room.

This is the quick and easy option, sadly. Lot's of people are getting cross because they're getting rid of a classic ride - I don't buy into that, renewal is progress, but I still feel that this is in completely the wrong place. Will change the aesthetic of the park no end.

Studios are expected to announce a major expansion next year with Stars Wars land, which is expected to replace existing areas/attractions around Star Tours. Disney have now confirmed they are working on new stars wars theme park projects and will be announced in 2015. So they wont build any other rides at the studios with the star wars project due.

I don't know about that but I certainly think its far too early to be basing a whole attraction on a movie that came out last year.

Frozen was a runaway success, there's no doubting that, but only time can distinguish a classic from a flash in the pan. The last time Disney based an attraction off the runaway success of a movie was Stitch at Magic Kingdom, and subsequently said ride has fallen out of popularity with both critics and guests, rarely ever receiving a queue.

A Frozen attraction using the Maelstrom ride system is still just Maelstrom, a grossly underwhelming ride with camp appeal for a few select fans. Once the Frozen fever has thawed all we will be left with is a mediocre ride tarted up with Frozen theming. Not great, but at least we're not losing a AAA attraction in the process. A mediocre ride is getting tarted up, will get an injection of popularity before falling back into mediocrity. The cycle continues. If WDI have any sense they'll have to add a serious USP to this ride as opposed to a cheap reskin.

Wouldn't call stitch a runaway success it only made 260m at the world wide box office, that's fairly poor for a major Disney release. Frozen has made over 1b at the box office.

I have not seen frozen and have no plans to, and also not saying Epcot is the right place for it. However I can fully see why Disney would be adding an attraction, it's their biggest animated release, existing frozen attractions have Huge queues, the only way to have a remote chance of getting a fast pass+ for the frozen princess meet and greet is to be staying on site so can book 60 days out and on the site at 5am uk time which is when booking opens, then the fast pass's are gone within minutes. It makes business sense to continue to build on that success. Plus in last many people have said Disney too slow to build attractions based on successful properties.

Also Maelstrom is a very poor and dated ride, the ride will be shut from 6th oct and not reopen until early 2016. This isn't just a cheap/quick re theme and will be to a very high standard.