• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What accent do you speak with?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. After a discussion started in the “Britain and foreign languages” thread about the wide array of regional accents in Britain, it got me thinking about my own accent. With that in mind, I’d be intrigued to know; what accent would you say you speak with?

I’ll get the ball rolling with my own answer.

Interestingly given that I come from a region with quite a strong regional accent (the Forest of Dean), I’ve determined that I simply have an incredibly generic English accent. I thought I was developing a Forest-y twang with age, but my mum shot that theory down when I asked her, saying that I sounded nothing like a Forester whatsoever (my mum has a fair Forester accent), yet I also didn’t inherit my dad’s Kent accent either (my dad grew up in Kent). She described both me and my sister as “accentless”.

As it turns out, what I thought was a “Forest-y twang” was simply my generic English accent growing less posh with age. When I was a child, I honestly sounded like one of those stereotypical British people from foreign films, with properly posh pronunciation (for instance, bath pronounced as “bar-th” and castle pronounced as “car-stle”) and enunciation of every sound without fail! These days, though, I seem to revert to more informal pronunciation, and my enunciation is far less frequent (although I occasionally do still enunciate).

But what accent do you speak with?

I don't think there is a name for my accent. It's Shropshire Wales border.
If i go to the welsh coast locals think i am from Wolverhampton/ Birmingham.
If i go to Wolverhampton/ Birmingham locals think i am from wales.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

couldn’t this be part of the other thread
I wasn't sure, so I decided to separate this as I thought it was an interesting topic, and it’s not expressly linked to “Britain and foreign languages”.

I can technically answer this with two seperate answers!

Re mouth voice I've been told I don't have an accent which I'm not sure is right? I'm from derby.

Re voice I tend to use most often now (aac) Scott is VERY clearly American

Very very common Yorkshire. Including Yorkshire languages a phrases. I used to work in a Call Centre type environment and my manager tried to reprimand me for not talking proper.

Additionally I find the Welsh accent very very sexy. Like a lass could say anything with a Welsh accent and I’m drawn to them.(TMI?)