• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What accent do you speak with?

Talking Proper:The Rise of the accent as social symbol.
A very boring book on my "Get to sleep" bedtime reading shelf.
Also have a very interesting book on postcodes.
And ants.

Are you a midlander as well?
Technically, yes.

Birth (November 1992) to August 1993 - Birmingham
August 1993 to August 1999 - Cinderford, Gloucestershire
August 1999 to August 2004 - St Ives, Cornwall
August 2004 to August 2013 - St Dennis, Cornwall (though I did live at uni in Falmouth, Cornwall between September 2011 and June 2013, coming home in holidays)
August 2013 to July 2016 - Biddulph, Staffordshire
July 2016 to present - Congleton, Cheshire (though we did move to another property in Congleton in July 2019)

On the subject of accents, I weirdly find the Stoke accent can sometimes be harder to understand than the Scottish accents you get in the Highlands. Can't for the life of me understand why.

On the subject of accents, I weirdly find the Stoke accent can sometimes be harder to understand than the Scottish accents you get in the Highlands. Can't for the life of me understand why.
I haven't had too much trouble with people understanding me at uni to be fair, only really with my pronunciation of 'bus' (buzz) and 'book' (long oo rather than 'buck') and words like 'mither' which are local

I think we are heading into local dialect. With that

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Very very common Yorkshire. Including Yorkshire languages a phrases. I used to work in a Call Centre type environment and my manager tried to reprimand me for not talking proper.

Additionally I find the Welsh accent very very sexy. Like a lass could say anything with a Welsh accent and I’m drawn to them.(TMI?)
Same here with regards to Welsh females. Absolutely love it.

Tamworth accent..I am told we have a distinct accent. It is a mixture of Birmingham (16 miles west), Burton Upon Trent (17 miles north) and finally Nuneaton (16 miles south). All those places have very distinct accents from one another. Making ours a sort of mixture of the 3.

Probably have a slightly heavier Birmingham twan in the accent than the other two.

Then, when I am head over heels into a bottle of some fine rum, I speak pure Pirate and crap.

Tamworth accent..I am told we have a distinct accent. It is a mixture of Birmingham (16 miles west), Burton Upon Trent (17 miles north) and finally Nuneaton (16 miles south). All those places have very distinct accents from one another. Making ours a sort of mixture of the 3.
Living not that far from Tamworth I can confirm you Tanworthians(?) definitely have a distinct accent. I'd say you are right in describing it as a mix, I would say though that it doesn't seem to me to be that strong.

Essex, innit. The letter T is largely lost on me.

Pretty much noone actually speaks (or acts) like they do on Towie, that's just pantomime.

Another vote for the Welsh accent doing inexplicable things to me, and for balance the Scouse accent must be the least attractive noise on the planet.

Essex, innit. The letter T is largely lost on me.

Pretty much noone actually speaks (or acts) like they do on Towie, that's just pantomime.

Another vote for the Welsh accent doing inexplicable things to me, and for balance the Scouse accent must be the least attractive noise on the planet.

And there was me imagining you with fake tan and bright white teeth.

I wish I felt the same about the Welsh accent being an attractive trait in ladies. But I can't because my 93 year old grandmother is Welsh so that it where my association is.

I don't mind a Scouse accent. But I hate the accents around here, nothing less attractive for me. I hate hearing my voice back for that reason and my accent isn't even strong.

I think that I speak with a fairly traditional mildly posh 'southern' accent, but I apparently also have a twinge of Scouse (quite a lot of my dad's side of the family is in that area).

I speak with the Fife accent...words like 'know' becomes 'ken'...actually a lot of East Coast Scottish accents shares a lot with Geordie and even Dutch words due to historical reasons over the centuries and Fife is no exception...the West Coast find us as imbred farmers with our accents I must confess.

Bored at work so having a browse through old topics

I speak with a Leeds/Castleford accent. Usually becomes very broad if on the phone or if I am travelling.

Been told by the wife that I can drift into deep Scouse whilst in Liverpool. (Especially Anfield) also drift into Scouse if unhappy, ordering at a bar or nervous.

A few delivery drivers get a "cheers Dare la'" at times.

I don't actually know. Blackpool is an odd location in that it's surrounded by places with strong Lancashire accents but we don't really have a Lancashire accent. I've just got a fairly standard English but with some Northern ("bath" has an A as in cat, "garage" sounds like "garridge" rather than "garahhge").

I live two or three miles from most of my punters...on the rough lancashire/posh Ribble Valley border.
I do lots and lots of garridge/garahhge leg pulling.
At the weekend...
"I just picked a lovely ripe courgette out of an old clay pot on the balcony...
Didn't realise I was so flipping* posh."
Me at a nice pub close to the Ribble on Sunday.

Edit...It wasn't flipping obviously.
Coffee Shop, not Tavern.

I'm Dorset born and have lived here my whole life but I often get told I talk 'like Mary Poppins' 😂 - Personally I'd say I have no accent at all. Like plain toast or ready salted crisps. Bland.