• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What car do you drive?

I remember my first car insurance policy when I started to drive (many years ago) and it was extortionate back then.

The best advice I could give would be if you go on another policy ensure you get your own no claims so when you have a policy just in your name you can bring it across with you.

I recall year two being much cheaper!

I'm up to about £700, 30% increase after a mid year car change...business whacks it up a lot.
Volvo tanks can do big damage!

First car insurance just after I passed was £1300 per year third party only on a 1.3ltr 1986 Astra. With inflation, that has to be somewhere around the region of £2k these days. I thought £2000 to £2500 was quite typical for new young drivers or has that got a lot cheaper in recent years? For new drivers, I'd insure a cheap low insurance group runaround for a few years and hardly use it. Prtoect no claims as soon as you can. Really starts to plumet in your late 20's and into your 30's.

Paid £380 last renewal. group 18 car, 12 years no claim protection, fully comp. That was £60 more than the year before! Was £290 3 years ago. Getting very expensive.

It is getting very expensive I agree. Then again…. What isn’t these days! Had our house insurance renewal through last week!!

Gone are the days where provided you didn’t make a claim your renewal would go down!

Currently driving a 2011 Corsa - nothing daft!

Bought second hand about 3 years ago, the back windscreen wiper turns itself on, the indicators make no noise, and the engine light is always on. Pure character.

Wouldn’t trade it for anything newer as the monthly payments saved fund our holidays!

Currently driving a 2011 Corsa - nothing daft!

Bought second hand about 3 years ago, the back windscreen wiper turns itself on, the indicators make no noise, and the engine light is always on. Pure character.

Wouldn’t trade it for anything newer as the monthly payments saved fund our holidays!

Probably the wiring from the body of the car to the hatch causing the rear wiper issue. My 25 did the same. Easy enough fix.

To put a slight spin on this thread -

How much was your car insurance last time you bought it and how much did it go up (or down) compared to last renewal?

Mine this year with Aviva fully comp was £289. It went up about £50 compared to last renewal.

Looks to be about £190 this year, I do have a theft and a write off with a chunky compensation claim on it though. 1 year no claims on that car. The other car has about 9 years NCD and will be about £300.

I don't even use my car that much. Me and my other half are on each others policies and we use both cars interchangeably. Car insurance is just one of those bills you have to have I suppose? I wonder if it would even be significantly more if I just cancelled for a couple of years and gave up all the no claims? I have no idea how it all works.

Buildings and Contents is £150. Life insurance something like £8 per month each. Phone insurance, worldwide travel insurance, and breakdown cover is an absolute steal though. £13 per month for all three with my bank account! I'm never letting that account go.

Probably the wiring from the body of the car to the hatch causing the rear wiper issue. My 25 did the same. Easy enough fix.
I thought as much - just never got round to asking someone to fix it haha

Funny thing is that it stopped over winter and now it’s less rainy, the wiper’s going again 😂

I thought as much - just never got round to asking someone to fix it haha

Funny thing is that it stopped over winter and now it’s less rainy, the wiper’s going again 😂

Mine started doing it whilst driving through Belgium. Never when it's convenient is it?

NCB protection isn't worth taking these days. You have to declare all your accidents, regardless of who was at fault. If you don't declare them, insurers have access to an industry-wide claims database and will still understand what happened, they just might treat you as being less honest.

The fact you have a clean recent record is worth far more to them than an arbitrary number which they themselves sell a workaround for.

It's just another way for insurers to make money.

Ii would tend to disagree. If you have an own fault bump you would lose possibly two years of your NCD. I believe there are different bands of discount depending how many years NCD discount you have built up. Having two years knocked off could put you back in a more expensive band due to less discount.

It costs me about £2 a month to protect my NCD so if I have a bump that’s my fault I won’t lose any discount.

Yes my premium would go up a bit due to having to declare the accident, but, I would still be entitled to the (x) years of NCD as opposed to an increase from declaring the accident AND the loss of two years worth of NCD.

What I disagree with in terms of insurance is having to declare any accidents or bumps you were involved with where you were not at fault. Even these will put up your premium when it was through no fault of your own.

What I disagree with in terms of insurance is having to declare any accidents or bumps you were involved with where you were not at fault. Even these will put up your premium when it was through no fault of your own.

Depends on your circumstances but generally it’s not worth claiming outside of major damage as you’ll just end up paying it back plus more with long term price increases.

Ii would tend to disagree. If you have an own fault bump you would lose possibly two years of your NCD. I believe there are different bands of discount depending how many years NCD discount you have built up. Having two years knocked off could put you back in a more expensive band due to less discount.

It costs me about £2 a month to protect my NCD so if I have a bump that’s my fault I won’t lose any discount.

Yes my premium would go up a bit due to having to declare the accident, but, I would still be entitled to the (x) years of NCD as opposed to an increase from declaring the accident AND the loss of two years worth of NCD.

You have to remember that all insurance is in fact gambling.
You are simply laying off risks by betting you are going to lose.
I am not a gambling person, so I keep my insurance costs right down, absolute budget cover, maximised excess/voluntary excess...but still covered.
Never had NCD cover, it really is a high profit cover, like white goods extra cover.
You are betting on betting that you are going to lose.
Insurance companies and betting companies are making massive profits from gambling, and carefully measuring the odds for a payout...good or bad.
These companies never lose.
Their shareholders never lose.
The mug punter does.
Over a lifetime I have saved an absolute fortune thanks to the advice of my A level Economics teacher.
Cheers again Mr Owl.
Very wise.
Wish I could remember his real name.

White seat Leon (my ecto1) estate. Had it nearly 6 years and it's done me good. Couple of things need a bit of TLC, should do for another couple of years I hope.

Previous include

A Peugeot 106, that never had such a severe issue, even Peugeot didn't know how to fix, luckily the issue wasn't a factor when I part ex for a VW 1.0 litre lupo, the last new one to roll out of the dealership. Best car I owned. But, being young and naive I traded it for a mini cooper park lane. Which was alright, till it fell apart. It's then you realise its just a BMW, with an exhaust held up with tie wraps, that was traded for a ford focus. Which managed to develop stop/start technology all by itself. After the engine light came on when driving at 50mph, we traded for the seat.

Have a look see what your NCB discount actually is. I suspect you'll find it isn't quantified anywhere - and that's probably because it's nil.

It was a real thing, for a bit - in the days between instant quotations becoming the norm (90s), but before all data was actually available to insurers at point of quote (about 10 years ago). In that period, it was useful because insurers could partially shift the risk on to the customer. The whole thing relied on insurers co-operating with eachother and collective belief in the stat, and was undone when some clever product developer came up with the concept of protecting your NCB. Ironically this was one of the driving forces behind the surprising late move to actually get and assess data before making a quote.

With that in place almost universally (possibly completely now, it's been 4 years since I worked in the insurance industry), why would any insurer put any stock behind it? They know definitively what claims you've had, how much they cost etc etc... why would they care about a fuzzy number created to hint at the numbers they do have?

The only reason it exists is because they make money for nothing by offering NCB protection. And it might be 'only' £24 but remember that's pure profit, zero cost difference to them. If they stopped asking how much NCB you'd have the jig would be up.