• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What changes to operations should we expect post Covid-19?

I imagine it’s more to do with controlling staffing costs and undertaking any extra cleaning on rides at the end of the day.

Legoland have updated their website to confirm rides will be closing at 4pm every day in July. Could the other Merlin parks follow suit?

MmeFNYL.jpg

Legoland also has the benefit of Mini-land and other non-ride things to look at.

What if they had a Ghostbuster blaster-style gun spray - the ones I've seen on the news spraying school classrooms - spray that then by the time pod comes round again (30-40 mins later), it would be safe for people to enter it? If they did this each revolution along with wiping the rails at the same time, by the end of the day each pod would probably be cleaner than an operating theatre! :D
That is called fogging and is very expensive

Boris Johnson is heavily rumoured to be announcing a new “1m+” rule tomorrow that will be in place from 4th July, meaning that you can only be 1m apart from someone if you take alternative measures to protect yourself. Do we think that Towers will take advantage of this and make face masks compulsory, but let more people into the park?

In a way, I hope they do; I saw a BBC News clip that used Wicker Man as a case study, saying that with 2m distancing, the train could only be able to leave with as few as 6 people, but with 1m distancing, it could run at full capacity. 1m distancing would be hugely beneficial for Towers and the other Merlin parks if they took advantage of it, in my opinion.

Boris Johnson is heavily rumoured to be announcing a new “1m+” rule tomorrow that will be in place from 4th July, meaning that you can only be 1m apart from someone if you take alternative measures to protect yourself. Do we think that Towers will take advantage of this and make face masks compulsory, but let more people into the park?
I can't imagine the trade-off will be face masks - the reduction to 1m is mainly aimed at the likes of pubs and restaurants, where facemasks aren't exactly feasible when eating/drinking.

More likely to be other measures that have been rumoured, such as (with pubs/restaurants), 'signing in' when you visit such a place, to make infection-tracing possible.

Ah OK. Do you think Towers could pull off 1m distancing merely by being mostly outside, as well, as apparently being outdoors is seen as an adequate precaution to take?

I’d really love it if Towers took advantage of 1m distancing, because having the ability to do things like having full coaster trains would be great, in my opinion!

From Sky:

"Under a new "one-metre-plus" plan, it is thought Mr Johnson will emphasise that people must remain two metres apart unless they are wearing a mask"

Masks mandatory at Towers then one can assume?

Last edited:
I'd imagine they might take the same approach as say Europa-Park. So you do not need a mask when entering or walking around the park, but must put one on when entering any queue line or food establishment and wear until you are off the ride/out of the establishment.

It would be a good idea for masks to be worn on rides. I don't particularly want Chantelle's spittle flying into my face when I'm sitting a few rows behind her on Rita because she can't stop screaming.

It would be a good idea for masks to be worn on rides. I don't particularly want Chantelle's spittle flying into my face when I'm sitting a few rows behind her on Rita because she can't stop screaming.
Masks on rides such as Rita are not a good idea. Do you want your mask to potentially suffocate you when flying down the launch track from a standstill? Riders already loose their breath temporarily during the sudden acceleration, so masks would exacerbate that.

Has there been any evidence of riders suffocating to death on any other launch rides around the world due to wearing a mask?
Another “problem” I’ve seen elsewhere is someone asking what happens when a mask flies off and lands on someone.

Chessington are currently encouraging people to wear masks. Apart from staff I didn’t see any public wearing them on Friday.

Somewhere along the line you've even got to rely on our members of society to be able to place a mask on their face in a sensible and secure fashion. I agree it's asking a lot from some of the dregs of our society but we may as well just keep everything closed if we're worrying about people not being able to secure a mask across their mouths.

Masks on rides such as Rita are not a good idea. Do you want your mask to potentially suffocate you when flying down the launch track from a standstill? Riders already loose their breath temporarily during the sudden acceleration, so masks would exacerbate that.

Rubbish. A mask will not suffocate you and this has been proven to work at parks throughout the world. Wearing them on rides is a sensible measure to minimise risk.

If this is anything to go by, masks will be all over your face if not tight enough (watch from 3:55).

There will be some who say that’s not a good advert for Mandy’s masks if they move like that.

Of course that video was filmed for “comedy” so who knows what’s genuine with it.

There will be some who say that’s not a good advert for Mandy’s masks if they move like that.

Of course that video was filmed for “comedy” so who knows what’s genuine with it.
Doesn't matter what make the mask it is, if people find it moves over their eyes when wearing it, they'll pull them down under their chin when they leave the station on each ride.