What changes to operations should we expect post Covid-19?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Croftybaby, 31st Mar 2020.

1. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

If they were keen on installing one-way systems, they'd have installed them in the gardens because some of those paths are very narrow.

skyscraper likes this.
  2. themeparkfan

themeparkfan TowersStreet Member

As a potential customer to merlin attractions , they imposed a ban on staff to travel to affected countries in early march to reassure me it was safe to visit their attractions. Fastforward to July how are they going to reassure me when a city just along the A50 is in lockdown with people not allowed to leave or enter? I feel this is relevant to this thread considering these local lockdowns may become the normal.

3. TPJames

TPJames TowersStreet Member

Sorry this is a bit of a personal gripe but the topic title annoys me, we are not "post Covid-19", the park is opening amidst the pandemic. It's just a a bit misleading really given the restrictions are in place to prevent an increase in infections.

I think the "local lockdown" in Leicester is more of a "please follow the rules" rather than it actually being enforced. I don't think there will be any police patrolling the lockdown perimeter and therefore it is perfectly feasible someone who is supposed to be in lockdown could be in the pub in the next village along or similarly in one of the theme parks. And with the British public, I can't trust they are going to do the right thing.

Regardless of the safety measures all these parks put in place, visiting any of them is a risk in the current situation. There will always be people who don't comply to distancing or mask requirements, and similarly there could be people in the park who are supposed to be in a local lockdown or supposed to be self-isolating due to contact tracing. It's simply too difficult to enforce and unfortunately relies on goodwill and common sense from the British population, which unfortunately a lot of Britain doesn't have.

There's always going to be risk of infection outbreak when the parks reopen, but the fact the parks are majority outdoors really helps, as we know outdoors is safer than indoor areas. If it's anything to go by, parks in Europe have been open for up to a month now and none have been closed due to infection outbreaks, so they don't seem to be the main source of localised outbreaks (probably due to mainly being outside- whereas outbreaks now tend to be in supermarkets and factories, indoor areas).

jon81uk likes this.
  4. Burbs

Burbs TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    This is true, but I'm in Leicester and I've seen one of my locals that falls just outside of the lockdown border saying they'll be checking ID to make sure no one is coming in when they shouldn't be. How well this will work I've no idea, but they're trying, I guess.

Another I've seen is staying closed entirely, despite again, being outside of the lockdown zone.

TPJames likes this.
  5. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    The Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and Chessington apps have been updated.
    The Alton Towers app shows which rides will be open and which will be closed, the Chessington app only shows open rides and the Thorpe Park app only shows 14 rides?!

6. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?
    A report from ITV Central news on what to expect with the new measures at Alton Towers

7. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

Towers have just posted a video explaining measures in place and there is a welcome return of Francis! :p

Rojo, Alsty, Matt N and 1 other person like this.
  8. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I don't get why both masks and social distancing are required on the rides. If everyone's wearing a mask, surely social distancing isn't necessary? :confused: The general advice is wear a mask if social distancing isn't possible.

9. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Helpful measure+helpful measure=fairly helpful measure.

10. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Screaming projects your breath further, so a mask will help prevent droplets travelling if you involuntary scream on the thrill rides. That's why on lower thrill rides it is distancing only no masks.

This is also why currently most theatre and similar is a no go, because singing projects your breath further too.

Rojo and Danscott22 like this.
  11. Swarm Chris

Swarm Chris TowersStreet Member

Both Duel and SeaLife will require masks to be worn from Friday, presumably as they exit via the gift shop.

skyscraper, Matt N and AT86 like this.
  12. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Posted on Towers' YouTube

Last edited: 25th Jul 2020
    Rojo, Alsty and Matt N like this.
  13. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?
    I would like to see the interviews/reviews that ended up on the cutting room floor o_O

Swarm Chris and skyscraper like this.
  14. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Very busy at Towers today. Promised myself not to get wound up by the space invaders but had a word with one bloke in the Wicker queue who seemed to want to stand right behind me, and then eventually bumped into me.

Very frustrating tbh, fair enough 1 person might be a bit careless but in a group of 8 people how can not one of the idiots not realise that the chevrons are there and it might be a good idea to stand behind them?

There were a couple of announcements over the queues but you can't hear them very clearly and people don't listen anyway. The staff are doing a great job but I'd like to see them maybe remind everyone of the rules when they enter the queue.

BarryZola, Rojo and Alsty like this.
  15. imanautie

Ala rapids remain seated?

16. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    "You need to wear a facemask to ride ______, also please stand behind the chevrons on the floor". Something along those lines I heard in the Wicker queue every 20 mins or so.

Walked past The Smiler and heard a similar, louder accouncment. Absolutely no chance I was going in that 90 min queue.

17. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

People don't respect authority in this country any more, seemingly even less after Covid started, so you have no chance of them listening to anything leisure/retail assistants want them to do if they just can't be bothered or don't want to do it. Absolute nation of mouth-breathers.

imanautie likes this.
  18. imanautie

There's a few definitions of mouth breathers, which one are you meaning?

19. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

The gormless ones who walk around half-soaked with mouths open who it seems haven't seen an episode of the news for the past 4 months. Self centred morons basically.

imanautie likes this.
  20. imanautie

Well if several riders at the island yesterday were anything to go by there's quite a few...

BarryZola likes this.