What changes to operations should we expect post Covid-19?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Croftybaby, 31st Mar 2020.

1. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Nowt wrong with a straw in your bottle of beer on a coaster.
    Stops you spilling.

2. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

ringo, jon81uk and Matt N like this.
  3. Mr Pearse

Mr Pearse TowersStreet Member

It didn’t say what indoor attractions but I was expecting Tussaud’s and sealife to open. I’m quite surprised they was able to operate Blackpool tower but it will interesting to see what the full range of midways are actually open.

4. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

Yeah it didn't specifically say which ones, but did mention Blackpool Tower MT and Sealife are opening which were all discussed yesterday in this thread.

ringo likes this.
  5. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

Good to see and was completely expected. Merlin know from other sites around the globe how to adapt them and get them open in accordance with local restrictions.

It has to be said Merlin for once have been great with the responses and what they’ve done regarding passes, tickets etc

And bonus points the restraints won’t smell of sweat anymore be like a brand one each time :D

6. Orange Ribena

Orange Ribena TowersStreet Member

In theory Tussauds should be fine but I don't think I've ever been in a more crowded indoor space that the London attractive outside of a nightclub. The Blackpool one should be fine but the London one will have to get strict with capacity although I would imagine the number of tourists floating about London is probably on the low side at the moment.

Matt N and jon81uk like this.
  7. Mr Pearse

Mr Pearse TowersStreet Member

They haven’t actually stated what will reopen apart from Blackpool tower,sealife and Tussaud’s. Because everything is on prebook basis only for now the sort of walk up trade is gone this year so all tourists have to pre book in advance.

8. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

So it appears the monorail could well be closed this season. Also looks like the Galactica gate will be used for hotel guests to enter the park.

Andrew, Matt N and imanautie like this.
  9. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Called it!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

10. Andrew

Andrew TS Contributor

Monorail closed just because it’s shot to death or because they can’t be bothered batching for social distancing?

11. imanautie

Latter I think but I'm guessing merlin just can't be bothered because it's so broken.

Andrew likes this.
  12. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

I’m guessing it gives them a perfect excuse to close it and save a ton of cash in maintenance and operating costs.

imanautie likes this.
  13. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Is the Monorail really that broken, though? It still functions, as far as I’m aware!

There was mention during the off-season that the ride was going to be given a refurbishment for 2020; maybe Merlin is doing a grander refurbishment of it for 2021, as I’d imagine that that might be when they really try and push the park’s 40th birthday celebrations if they can’t do so in 2020?

14. imanautie

Well it's so old it had William ****ner as part of the opening ceremony on footage that looks like it was on the primative end of VCR technology.

Matt N likes this.
  15. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

The monorail was used on the buy out days in March so it was clearly going to used this year. However it does cost a fair amount in staffing and tech services man hours etc so at a time when they have been losing millions a month it’s no surprise they have decided to keep it closed, at least temporarily.

Maybe when things begin to ramp up in the next few weeks it will reopen.

16. Andrew

Andrew TS Contributor

To be fair, if things improved to the point where they had a bit of cash flowing in again then I’d rather them keep the Monorail shut if possible and spend some money on it, even if it’s just new vinyl wraps that celebrate the park and don’t obscure the windows.

Unlikely obviously but I can dream

17. themeparkfan

themeparkfan TowersStreet Member

So guys after the relaxation of lockdown so far cases have started to rise in certain areas. This morning home secretary has announced that Leicester might have to consider local lockdown eventhough the metropolitan mayor is dragging his feet. If this local lockdown was enforced do merlin stop anyone with a LE postcode from entry? I know it sounds crazy but if cases rise matt Hancock has said local lock down is the answer like in Germany so how are merlin going to deal with that scenario?

18. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

It wouldn't be down to Merlin to police, just as you couldn't police a beach or countryside area to ensure no one from a certain area visits.

James, jon81uk and AT86 like this.
  19. imanautie

There's no good way for merlin to do it, someone could have an LE billing postcode but not me in Leicester and obviously anyone flaunting a lockdown isn't going to admit it when asked.

20. themeparkfan

themeparkfan TowersStreet Member

So no point in the local lockdown then if nothing is policed or any action taken. Just let the virus spread!