• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What developments will happen after 2018?

Bradley Wayne has updated his LinkedIn profile to include a 2019 attraction coming to Alton Towers, however this could be a Cbeebies Land expansion or a CCL retheme but at the minute it could be anything for all we know.

Anyone else unnerved about how happy he looks with that VR unit? :(

Sorry Bert but this Merlin, they'll wring every week they can get out Gear VR before replacing it with newer technology or scrapping it entirely. If they were to replace it with anything I'd imagine daydream would be a more likely replacement, given that Oculus isn't portable and is more comparable to the Vive on DGBT.

Personally I hope the whole VR thing was to cheaply fill a hole until SW8 was completed and will be removed at the end of the 2018 season

VR is still quite new and new devices are being made, so it won't die out any time soon.

When it comes to Towers however, I would be surprised if VR stays on Galactica for more than 3 or 4 seasons.

I disagree, because if that was the case they would have just stuck VR on Air and not re-themed it.

This was just what I hope happens. What actually will happen only AT/Merlin will know the long term future.

For what its worth I agree that Galactica and its theme (mainly the fantastic looking portal :) ) will be in the park for the foreseeable future. However VR is a feature that can either be enhanced or removed at any time.

VR will be gone as soon as someones headset fully falls off and breaks there nose or something like that. Sad, but eventually it will happen whether its down to an individuals stupidity or a genuine issue with someone not having it mega tight and not holding it, but alton will do virtually any thing to stay out of bad press.

I dont think VR is too bad on air, because it has always lacked something. Its a fun ride and it was always a fun ride and it still is a fun ride. It has a double station, so the longer dispatches are deal-able. If it was a ride like the smiler, nemesis, minetrain or something without a double station it would be awful. Look what six flags are doing with there VR rides.... Skip to 5 min and watch this, Six flags america loading VR. That is when the line takes it to awful.

To be honest, VR takes nothing away from galactica, its optional too

VR works on DBGT, because that is designed for VR. Air, and all the rest of these coasters weren't. It doesn't work as an add on for me.

I get where you are coming from but before it turned to galactica everyone here complained about how it was a weak coaster, diddnt fit the theme, forceless ect. Now, its one of tower's main attractions again. Its definitely paid off to the GP. Like it or not, merlin will continue to put VR on coasters in there chain, Im just hoping when its chessingtons turn they dont do it to vampire. Like if they did it to nemesis, it would ruin the full ride. I hope they get a dark ride on that huge plot of land near dragons fury like Arthur at EP. VR or not, the UK still lacks a strong family dark ride. Lego land looks to be getting a decent one however.

Back to towers, what do you think the future to CCL will be? I think that will be the next focus area of towers

I get where you are coming from but before it turned to galactica everyone here complained about how it was a weak coaster, diddnt fit the theme, forceless ect. Now, its one of tower's main attractions again.

It still doesn't fit the theme, only now it clashes even more.

It's still relatively forceless because it's the same ride as before.

None of what was disliked about Air has been improved by Galactica (save from the portal theming maybe).

The VR headsets are faddy, clunky and will unlikely last longer than 4-5 years.

Without those all that will be left is a lame half arsed space theme on what used to be a decent concept ride.

It still doesn't fit the theme, only now it clashes even more.

It's still relatively forceless because it's the same ride as before.

None of what was disliked about Air has been improved by Galactica (save from the portal theming maybe).

The VR headsets are faddy, clunky and will unlikely last longer than 4-5 years.

Without those all that will be left is a lame half arsed space theme on what used to be a decent concept ride.
I think they could do with more theming around air and I agree that the VR is crap and will go soon. The new soundtrack and portal are good also I think the restaurant and shop are good. The VR breaks all the time and they have to pay for figment to be on site.