• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What separates enthusiasts from the GP?

Back in the day they were teacups ;)

When the "Log Flume" became "The Flume" (baths) I still refer the ride as the "Log Flume" even today :)
Technically speaking isn't "The log flume" and "the teacups" correct regardless of the rides name because it's the type of the ride?

As I think I’ve said before, I don’t personally believe that anything separates enthusiasts from non-enthusiasts (I’ll admit I’m personally not a fan of the term GP) besides having a more intense interest in the obscure minutiae of theme parks than your average visitor.

We all pay our admission fee to get into the parks in exactly the same way and have exactly the same privileges available to us once inside. Every visitor to a theme park is free to enjoy it in exactly the same way. Everyone gleams different types of enjoyment from these theme parks, whether that be riding rides, appreciating themed environments, watching shows, conversing about the minute details or something else entirely, and that’s fine by me!

So for that reason, while people are of course free to think and say what they want, I don’t personally want to segregate enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts.

A few times I have ended up talking to strangers about my hobby and I'd say they all considered it pretty cool. They all thought travelling around the world with friends and people into similar things, just having fun and experiencing some crazy rides was great. They normally then tell me about some of the things they've done, or ask me questions about what I have done (normally ask what is the scariest, fastest, tallest). It's generally a positive experience.

I always find this interesting because it contrasts with my own opinion of the community. I always think from the outside it looks "anoraky", much like trainspotting, and therefore not that cool. I guess this is because being inside the community I see things that the outsiders do not. Outsiders see the travel, the social side, the having fun. I see things like credit counting, chasing every Wacky Worm and coaster handshakes.

A few times I have ended up talking to strangers about my hobby and I'd say they all considered it pretty cool. They all thought travelling around the world with friends and people into similar things, just having fun and experiencing some crazy rides was great. They normally then tell me about some of the things they've done, or ask me questions about what I have done (normally ask what is the scariest, fastest, tallest). It's generally a positive experience.

I always find this interesting because it contrasts with my own opinion of the community. I always think from the outside it looks "anoraky", much like trainspotting, and therefore not that cool. I guess this is because being inside the community I see things that the outsiders do not. Outsiders see the travel, the social side, the having fun. I see things like credit counting, chasing every Wacky Worm and coaster handshakes.

Agreed. Everyone at work thinks I'm a crazy thrill seeker who enjoys travelling the world to visit all these different theme parks (which is correct, of course)!

I think it has a a lot to do with us knowing how things work, and the media. It’s a lot like football to me, I don’t know anything about football, I can’t list any players, or niche rules and culture. It’s the same for me as it is for them, just instead of “did you see the footie last night?” It’s “how are you finding the new Vekoma Madhouse”.

There is one hole in my point, football is massive. Everyone knows when people on the internet are giving them a bunch of porkies, but the general public have no idea about theme parks. They will trust the “Top 10 most insane rides1!1!1!1!” Video, because they don’t know, and do I blame them? No. They just aren’t that interested in it.

Also ego