• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

When were you last scared on a ride ?

Rick

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Crux
Do enthusiasts still get scared ?

After our Jolly Boys winter weekend trip to the Pleasure Beach last year we went up to the temporary Star Flyer at Tower Headland. I don't think it was a particularly well engineered ride in the first place, but in the winds that were bashing the coast it felt pretty unsafe with the seat feeling like it could fall backwards (it couldn't) but it felt unsettling.

At Energylandia last week, I was reminded how much I don't like being restrained in a boat, but perhaps wouldn't go as far to say I was scared.

The big wheel at Legendia.

The thing was absolutely enormous, your completely open to the elements, and you can spin the carriage as well.

Great views when on it though.

Speaking of restrained boats I remember feeling really uneasy on Shoot The Rapids at Cedar Point, which turned out to be for very good reason.

When I did the Pterodactyl star flyer ride at Flamingo Land earlier this year. I wouldn’t quite say that I was scared but I definitely didn’t feel so comfortable on it and it’s damn fast and windy up there andi just wanted the cycle to finish and go back down again. I’ve always said that star flyers and boosters are the only two rides that unnerve me. My son absolutely loves star flyers so I’ve done a couple with him but I’ve not yet done a booster. The thing that gets me about star flyers is how you are that high up sitting in what’s basically a plastic garden seat without a proper restraint and with only a couple of chains holding you up.

Despite loving drop towers and all manner of tall coasters and gyro swing rides I’m actually not always comfortable with heights that you get on ferris wheels. I think it’s because they go up so slowly compared to a ride and there’s a little bit of a claustrophobia element as well. Both my rides on The London Eye and the Energylandia wheel this year I’ve loved the views but not quite loved the experience and felt a bit anxious on them.

Last edited:
The big wheel at Legendia.

The thing was absolutely enormous, your completely open to the elements, and you can spin the carriage as well.

Great views when on it though.

Speaking of restrained boats I remember feeling really uneasy on Shoot The Rapids at Cedar Point, which turned out to be for very good reason.
Second the Big Wheel at Legendia! But we were even more shocked at the fact they let us take our beers on it. But i must admit Hurakan Condor was giving me butterflies, but as soon as I’d done it I wanted to go again.

Hurakan Condor at PortAventura recently was a big thrill that got adrenaline pumping and my hands shaking. It's really the first drop tower I've done. Nobody would go with me (also the reason I haven't done apocalypse at Drayton) and so being alone increased the thrill / scare factor.

Outside of "rides" the trap door slides at Rulantica were really very fear inducing the first time. Again was shaking getting into the capsule and for a good 5 minutes afterwards.

Really that feeling is why I'm an enthusiast. It gets harder to find as I ride more rides, but such an amazing feeling when you do get it.

The first ever ride to give me that feeling was Furious Baco, which was the first big ride I ever dared go on. It sparked me love for coasters and parks and being able to go back and experience it again was a full circle moment.

As a bit of a claustrophobic I'm no big fan breakdowns or stacking waits in restraints. That feeling of panic setting in is about as 'scared' as I get.

As a bit of a claustrophobic I'm no big fan breakdowns or stacking waits in restraints. That feeling of panic setting in is about as 'scared' as I get.

This never used to bother me, but suddenly it's crept in over the past year. It's a dreadful feeling.

This never used to bother me, but suddenly it's crept in over the past year. It's a dreadful feeling.
Yep, it's something that only seems to grow in me. A decade ago it was a niggling little uncomfortable feeling, now it's something closer to panic that I have to use distraction and breathing to get through. Doesn't matter that conscious me knows it is totally irrational, my body has a physical response to the situation. It's much worse for me if I'm inside, I dread the atrocious operations on Vampire these days!

Had a moment with a slightly loose restraint on Mako last month where I did feel like I was genuinely going to get ejected.

Probably Summit Plummet at Blizard Beach if that counts.

Was absolutely bricking it. I'm OK with heights but at the top you have to shuffle your body forwards towards the drop and it's so steep you can't even see the slide. You're essentially edging yourself off a cliff.

Just look at it o_O

disneys-blizzard-beach-summit-scaled.jpg

Was bricking it a bit on Stealth last weekend, that thing just looks so tall and you really don't believe you're going to make it over the top. Also there's the fact that occasionally it doesn't to sow a real seed of doubt in your mind!

I'll third that one. I panic when I can't move. I've had moments at night where the other half has rolled over and taken the duvet with her but my body weight is holding my side down. This tightness around my arms and legs makes me wake up in panic. I was stuck on Ramesis Revenge once and I was absolutely terrified because I couldn't move an inch.

But as for a ride a feel scared of every time, there's only one contender here. That's the AT Sky Ride. Coasters rarely bother me, drop towers do but I've never regretted one and I'm usually up for going again afterwards. But no matter how hard I try, I can't get used to the Skyride. I've been known to jump face down on the floor of a gondola in terror before, with my own kids and another family laughing at me because it's stopped and started swaying above the valley. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

This thing nearly caused me to soil myself

MickeysFunWheel1.png

We had to use the sick bag on Mickey's not-so-fun wheel.

Probably Summit Plummet at Blizard Beach if that counts.

Was absolutely bricking it. I'm OK with heights but at the top you have to shuffle your body forwards towards the drop and it's so steep you can't even see the slide. You're essentially edging yourself off a cliff.

Just look at it o_O

disneys-blizzard-beach-summit-scaled.jpg

I did a trapdoor slide for the first time at Volcano Bay a few weeks ago, but not sure if that was worse than Summit Plummit or not, but was pretty terrifying.

You would never get me on one of those star flyers as I know I would almost certainly soil myself.

The last rides that properly scared the bejesus out of me were the old S&S sky sling at Fantasy Island and Dodonpa.