• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

When were you last scared on a ride ?

Can't member the last time but can certainly remember the first time....

Alice Ride - Blackpool Pleasure Beach - 1971

Can't quite remember what it was that upset me but I left in floods of tears.

In my defence I was 4 at the time.

Apocalypse always gives me the fear, it just feels so damn high and open to the elements when you’re up there. Really sad to see it go.

Oblivion does sometimes too. I always think I’m not scared anymore after so many rides on it but it nearly always gets me at the last second before the drop. Kind of like that feeling though it adds to the ride.

For some reason I find vertical lift hills unnerving, the primal part of my brain seems to think we are going to fall backwards/out of the train. So I always get a bit nervous on smiler’s second lift hill and on Saw’s lift hill. Hope I never have the misfortune of getting stuck on one.

Last edited:
2018. Top Thrill Dragster.

Even though I'd already done Kingda Ka previously whilst living in New York.....TDD definitely gave me the butterflies before my first go. It's very intimidating and the fact it's not got OTSR's definitely adds to the nerves.

Second go around I was fine though. Just laughed my head off at how utterly bonkers it was.

For some reason I find vertical lift hills unnerving, the primal part of my brain seems to think we are going to fall backwards/out of the train. So I always get a bit nervous on smiler’s second lift hill and on Saw’s lift hill. Hope I never have the misfortune of getting stuck on one.
Vertical lift hills are horrible. Think it's something about not being able to see where you're going.

Vertical lift hills are horrible. Think it's something about not being able to see where you're going.

That’s what I think is so great about them, it’s something a little bit unnerving that (literally) takes you outside of your comfort zone by making you traverse a lift hill flat on your back physically and psychologically the anticipation of what is to come as you can’t see the drop on the other side.

We often give Gertslauer some stick for the roughness and rattle of some of their coasters but their combination of vertical lift hill followed by a beyond vertical drop is a classic and innovative one.

Drop towers are essentially all that does it for me nowadays. I think it's because of how slow the ascent usually is and how exposed you feel (also to @Burbs point, on most of them there would be 0% chance of survival should the restraint fail).

Lex Luthor at SFMM is the worst I've done, particularly because it shakes and sways to hell every time Superman launches!

It is very rare that a coaster scares me these days.

Big ass drop Towers still give me a fright, but I enjoy them. And weirdly exposed ferris wheels do also. The most scared I have been on a ride in recent history though was the massive Sky Coaster at Fun Spot in Florida, terrifying slow winch to the top but an incredible adrenaline rush once in freefall.

I don’t like drop towers so don’t do them but from a rollercoaster perspective the last time I had that pre-boarding fear was X2 (though absolutely loved it once riding). The GIB at parc Warner also got the nerves going in the queue a few years earlier.

Another Apocalypse vote.
Camping trip with kids for a number of years, we looked forward to the new stand up floorless option.
All dangling in a line, waving at the refusers on the ground, then screaming and swearing all the way down, I was the only one to do it all no handed.
I won the four pack of Special Brew, and I didn't even share.

I slid a bit in my seat on Hyperion which was brown trousers.

Ultimate I nearly departed the train on the unbanked right hander near the CCTV camera on the second part. That was properly scary and hugely fun.

Slight nerves on drop Towers because of the 100% death thing but only really decent height ones like HangOver

As mentioned earlier, whichever trap door slide I did at Rulantica was probably the last time I got nervous about a ride. I'm not that keen on speed slides anyway - one splash to the face and you're effectively blind until the bottom, where you'll probably get another with a noseful to boot. Start that experience by getting into a box where the floor gives way? No thanks.

Other than that I get a bit twitchy about drop towers, but I always do them and actually tend to find the less impressively engineered ones to be more thrilling (within reason). I'm itching to ride Donjon de l'Extreme again - ridiculously tall, spindly lattice structure, exposed seating, late brakes and a very obvious feeling of the mechanisms preparing to drop you. Atmosfear meanwhile is similarly tall, but feels almost reassuringly over-engineered.

With coasters or anything else it's basically the opposite - I'm fine unless a ride gives me reason to wonder if the engineering know-how involved in building it was only just sufficient for it to work. The GIB at Parque Warner is pretty alarming to experience - it's amazing, but refined it is not. Shockwave at Brean (Pinfari looper) was outright horrifying, with minimal OTSRs and wheelsets whose design looked to have been directly lifted from a big apple and scaled up a bit.

The most recent coaster to worry me was Kärnan, which seemed like a combination of multiple concerning factors - huge speeds, Gerstlauer comfort, an enormous vertical lift with those unnerving tilted back seats, and absolutely nothing to brace yourself against when things start getting really ridiculous!

As mentioned earlier, whichever trap door slide I did at Rulantica was probably the last time I got nervous about a ride. I'm not that keen on speed slides anyway - one splash to the face and you're effectively blind until the bottom, where you'll probably get another with a noseful to boot. Start that experience by getting into a box where the floor gives way? No thanks.

Other than that I get a bit twitchy about drop towers, but I always do them and actually tend to find the less impressively engineered ones to be more thrilling (within reason). I'm itching to ride Donjon de l'Extreme again - ridiculously tall, spindly lattice structure, exposed seating, late brakes and a very obvious feeling of the mechanisms preparing to drop you. Atmosfear meanwhile is similarly tall, but feels almost reassuringly over-engineered.

With coasters or anything else it's basically the opposite - I'm fine unless a ride gives me reason to wonder if the engineering know-how involved in building it was only just sufficient for it to work. The GIB at Parque Warner is pretty alarming to experience - it's amazing, but refined it is not. Shockwave at Brean (Pinfari looper) was outright horrifying, with minimal OTSRs and wheelsets whose design looked to have been directly lifted from a big apple and scaled up a bit.

The most recent coaster to worry me was Kärnan, which seemed like a combination of multiple concerning factors - huge speeds, Gerstlauer comfort, an enormous vertical lift with those unnerving tilted back seats, and absolutely nothing to brace yourself against when things start getting really ridiculous!

I forgot about Kärnan, that made me nervous pre-ride. Didn’t help that it broke down as we boarded so had to get back off again and was the first train out after they fixed it!

Another one thats just popped into my head is Mystery Castle. Specifically the bit where you're held at the top and the lights come on.

Hard to explain but it makes me feel incredibly uneasy being that high up with all the ride mechanism lit up and seeing the people on opposite towers.

Edit: Christ, there's a full lights on video 🤮

I slid a bit in my seat on Hyperion which was brown trousers.

Ultimate I nearly departed the train on the unbanked right hander near the CCTV camera on the second part. That was properly scary and hugely fun.
Sat on the back row of Hyperion, gave myself a bit of "restraint space" and then did hands up on the first drop. Closest I've ever felt to leaving the train.

Probably Slammer.

The whole thing just gave off a vibe of ‘something is waiting to go wrong here’ to me and that led to a very nervous ride that I was happy to never do again!
I definitely agree with slammer, there was something about the dodgy feeling restraints and the lack of being able to hold on to anything. The thought that if the restraint opened mid ride got really would just fall to your death.