• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which of the Parks Former Dark Rides would you want back?

Which would you want and which would be most Successful in today's Standards?

• Around The World in 80 Days

• The Haunted House

• Toyland Tours

• Nemesis Sub-Terra

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trooper Looper

TS Member
Hi everyone, I've always been intrigued on what everyone's Favorite former Dark Ride at the Park would want to be brought back in the present?
As many of them are Favorites to us, I'm interested to see which will have the highest results.

Last edited:
I'm going to be very bold here and stick my neck out, to say that I don't think Sub Terra's going to win.
Interesting choice, but a very Understandable one, especially when Nemesis will undergo its retrack, it'll be a great filler attraction.

EDIT: Misread, sorry. Yeah it's a great FILLER attraction, not a main attraction unlike the others in this list. So yeah, can't see it winning anytime soon.

Last edited:
I have the most nostalgia for Toyland. Duel is basically if HH had a midlife crisis and started wearing a leather jacket and bought a motorbike - it's still there just looking rather sad and sporting a silly moustache and wearing an ear ring in its left ear to pretend it hasn't got lame, old, wrinkly and fat and thus a shadow if it's former sexy and youthful self. Toyland would have aged even worse. So I'd go for 80 days. I probably miss that the most on balance. I still look at the theming of the Skyride stations and think of good 'ol phileas fogg before he started making crisps.

I mean it is, in that it's dark and it's a ride. But it isn't a "Dark Ride".

Exactly, it is a ride in the dark.

It is definitly not a dark ride.
It is an indoor roller coaster and simply enclosing a roller coaster does not make it a dark ride. However some rollercoasters such as the Dragon at Legoland have dark ride sections despite the majority of the rolling and coasting being outdoors.

Sorry, I disagree.
It is a dark ride, and an enclosing an indoor rollercoaster does indeed make it a dark ride.
Semantics and pedantics all the way.
Go to that font of all knowledge wikipedia once again...you will find that indoor rollercoasters are indeed listed...under the overall heading of "dark rides".
It is a ride in the dark, however you try to classify it, it is simply that.
It's like listing big coasters as giga, mega, hyper...people argue over heights, drops and so on, they are all just big coasters.
The Black Hole was a dark ride, so was the Space Invader.
My truth, and probably 99% of the publics too.

I think it’s one of those interesting little enthusiast-isms that no one can universally agree on.

I guess Black Hole could be considered a dark ride, but I also get why it generally wasn’t considered one. I think it depends very much on what you take the definition of dark ride to be.

Was Black Hole a dark ride in the most literal sense, in that it was a ride in the dark? Yes.

Was Black Hole a dark ride in the sense that most enthusiasts mean when talking about dark rides, as in a slow-moving non-coaster ride system that takes guests through various different scenes and tells a story throughout? No.

I voted Sub-Terra and honestly mean it.

I don't want to see an old dated dark ride brought back from the 90s. I'd much rather the Haunted House and Toyland Tours become something new and interesting.

But Sub-Terra I thought was a great concept and really unique as a ride. Given a few alterations it could have stood alongside Hex as an Alton Towers classic.
In the world of dark rides it's such a fine line between 'sucking' and being a 'cult classic'. Sub-Terra sadly just slipped to the wrong side of that line.

Having Darren Brown's Ghost Train still exist while Sub-Terra sits abandoned is a real tragedy.

Sub Terra was a concept that could have worked but I was never a fan and rarely rode even when others in my group did - I'd just do Ripsaw instead. The choice of ride system was a strange one coming shortly off the back of Thirteen whilst the experience surrounding it was basically just a series of unpleasant things happening to you. Once I knew what was coming there seemed little value in repeating the experience, a feeling that appeared to be shared by the public at large as its popularity declined very quickly after opening season.

I never rode Around the World but from what I've seen I think it would look very dated if it was still around, even if it had been properly maintained. It falls into the same bracket as BPB's River Caves of trying to play it straight and relying on the strength of the recreation of real-world scenes, rather than telling its own story, which is less relevant in the modern world where travel is much easier.

Haunted House is an odd one to include here, as it's is basically still around. OK Duel was barely working by the end of last season but some parts of the ride are basically unchanged since the ride opened back in 92. Ultimately though, anyone can do a ghost train.

I still maintain that Toyland would be regarded as one of the best UK family dark rides if it opened right now just as it had been in 1994 (though obviously the sonic section complete with early-90s graphics would look a bit odd). Whilst I'd be the first to admit that nostalgia for it influences my opinion significantly, it was clearly an order of magnitude more detailed than anything we've seen recently.

I’m so confused as just reading up on dark rides and some coasters are classed as Dark rides as they got scenes and visual effects like space mountain which Black Hole also had in sections. Even the Mummy coaster is classed as a dark ride.

Wow, I'm genuinely surprised that Toyland Tours has the Upper hand over the Haunted House so far. I'd love to know why you guys prefer each other over one another.

I can presently understand why people would have it over The Haunted House though. To me it gives lf a Combined tone of Its a small world and Professor Burps Bubbleworks, which both are cult classics in their own rights. The sets are colourful, the jokes are clever, and some of the animatromics are still impressive by their sheer size. No wonder people love it so much, what's not to hate about it?