• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which of the Parks Former Dark Rides would you want back?

Which would you want and which would be most Successful in today's Standards?

• Around The World in 80 Days

• The Haunted House

• Toyland Tours

• Nemesis Sub-Terra

Results are only viewable after voting.
@Trooper Looper i think the issue with HH ‘it winning is that to a certain extent it’s still there.

I would also hazard a guess that the majority of this forum is of an age where TT being back nostalgic memories. For me this is certainly the case. I still remember the theme tune to this day and that triggers a lot of positive memories. That simply doesn’t happen with HH,Hex or Sub terra (which by the way is probably the most interesting concept)

On that note, the ride could have stayed relevant if scenes were updated to move with the times.

@Jb85

I'd definitely think that Towers would benefit If Toyland Tours was still around and was updated over time since the park lacks a lot of family themed rides, and no, I don't class TWODW as a family area, with the only family attraction there being GG, and the rest are just simple junior flat rides and a half rotten Jr Racing course.

The problem is that same could be said for any of the other rides there, most notably the Haunted House. You're right, it may not give us that happy feeling when Toyland Tours soundtrack comes to mind, but heck it looked to be one hell of an impressive Dark Ride experience and still to this day back in 92 when it wasn't tampered with over time.

Both rides have pros and cons on how'd they'd come back and hoe well received they would be. Toyland Tours would be great and it'd be a lot easier than retheming the Dungeons to an IP to TWODW since the S.S. Toyland Tour is still in there and in pretty good condition. The boats would need a repaint of course for the happy theme. Kids are still very into toys and games these days so I can't see why TT would fail nowerdays. The only real challenge in the ride would be retheming the Sonic Scene to a new IP. Maybe Lego? Super Mario?

On the other hand, The Haunted House would probably be the cheapest out of all the options here, with Nemesis Sub Terra just behind it. Most of the scenes are still there, the props would only need a lick of paint back to their more sinister looks, the lighting is a major issue, but probably not wicked expensive to bring back that mystical theatrical lighting to it, and replace a few animatromic mechanics (e.g., the Crazy guy in the cave, and the column monster.). Oh, and time to get rid of the targets and blasters.

The biggest issue though, is the finale, are there is almost no photos or clear footage of what exactly the Swamp looked like and what it's blueprint layout was. I can imagine this retrofit already reaching the £1,200,000 Mark, which by no means is cheap at all.

I dont see why people call the ride outdated though, BPB still has the first ever ghost train with many of the props and scenes in there over 50 years old. Disneys Haunted Mansion has changed very little since its original opening, with only a few changes, such as the Ghost Hijack scene, and a scene replacement (the attic if I recall replaced that scene). But that's expected from a ride that's over 50 years old. Tokyo Disneylands Haunted Mansion is practically what the HM at California looked like on its opening day with its original effects and scenes, plus its still around to this day with very little complaints from guests saying it looks outdated.

If Disney has an old ride that hasn't really had major changes since its opening day, I don't see why Alton Towers has to consider hugely modernising a ride that's only 30 years old, with its effects, even half ran down are still pretty decent...

Fine, apart from the screaming heads of course. God that scene is in dire relighting and maintenance.

As a whole, both rides are loved for very different reasons from one another.

Last edited:
I voted Sub Terra as it’s the only one I did. I was probably one of its bigger fans, thought it was really under appreciated and I liked the whole idea of it (post improvement) wish it was still around

Loved this ride as a kid. No IP needed (apart from the Sonic section), just good honest fun. Here’s a couple of pics from the transition from TT to CATCF.

Attachments

• C84ECA33-B6F6-49A0-9483-4B2AE056DE9A.jpeg
    C84ECA33-B6F6-49A0-9483-4B2AE056DE9A.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 31AE202F-E297-45E5-BF80-4A272AB83899.jpeg
    31AE202F-E297-45E5-BF80-4A272AB83899.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 53
Loved this ride as a kid. No IP needed (apart from the Sonic section), just good honest fun. Here’s a couple of pics from the transition from TT to CATCF.
It's likely that more or less all the Toyland Tours theming you can see in those pics is still there today. When it was turned in CATCF, the bridge and the other side of the station were simply walled off. The SS Toyland was still in situ backstage for the entire run of CATCF, and I can't imagine they would have ripped it out for the Dungeons update.

The model railway in the towers.

I suppose technically it was a dark exhibit , before anyone points out it wasn't a ride !

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I've more nostalgia for Toyland Tours, and is definitely a ride that is sorely missed in that area of the park (even CatCF was usually ridden on visits). Aside from the Sonic area was fairly timeless as well.

I'm sure the hippo at the end caused some interesting moments in many a young visitor though.

It would also be nice to have Around the World in 80 Days back. I believe that it was superior to Toyland Tours, which replaced it, although Toyland also looks really good from POVs.