• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which theme parks are you most worried about during Covid-19 lockdown?

Which theme parks are you most worried about in this time?

• Total voters
If the parks do reopen this year they will more then likely limit the numbers coming in. But if the rough guess is that they possibly reopen in September mid weeks would still be really quiet.

If the parks do reopen this year they will more then likely limit the numbers coming in. But if the rough guess is that they possibly reopen in September mid weeks would still be really quiet.
I wouldn't be surprised if they used the LDC pre-book model (mandatory free pre-book for passholders) for a short while to help manage capacity.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

"Britain is a nation of ‘quaran-dreamers’ who fantasise about what they will do when the lockdown is over" - Blackpool Gazette

Apparently when they did the survey, they said to people, “What do you fantasise about doing when the lockdown finishes?". Most of them looked a bit shifty, and then said, “Visiting theme parks”.

Oakwood will be fine. It’s owned by Aspro who are massive and we’re very financially stable before this lockdown. They operate mostly small parks which don’t cost as much to run and invest little in them, but manage to maintain a comfortable, albeit low, flow of guests. This is of course a very different business model to Merlin, for example, who basically run in the opposite way to Aspro.

The parks I’m most concerned about are BPB, Drayton Manor and Lightwater Valley. These parks seemed to be struggling long before the lockdown, particularly the latter two.

It will be interesting to see how the Diggerland parks fare too. Would be a real shame if we lost them.

It’s a worse situation for Lightwater then BPB or Drayton. If Lightwater went bust I find that would be harder for an investor to turn it around in a short amount of time. due to the awkward location of where the park is based and the low visitor numbers it would take a miracle in this current situation to turn it around. Drayton on the other hand I mentioned before is an easier investment long as certain things are sorted then you have a park ready to go in a good location and steady visitor numbers. Blackpool won’t go I could be wrong but I always thought that it’s the pleasure beach that still brings people to Blackpool and that the local council wouldn’t want them to disappear. But I can’t see Blackpool going anytime soon the worst case situation in that the current owners will have to sell up can’t see that happening anytime soon tho but if they did once again an investor would snap your hands off for a park like Blackpool good clean park steady visitor numbers and rides all ready to go in a perfect location.

I forgot- M&Ds!

Their website already states public ally that they’ve had to lay off staff who’ve been with them for many years.

I’ve never been to M&Ds but it sounds like they were in trouble even before this virus. Sadly it seems that the virus may just tip them over the edge, leaving Scotland with no theme parks at all. Seems odd to have no theme parks in a place the size of Scotland.

I forgot- M&Ds!

Their website already states public ally that they’ve had to lay off staff who’ve been with them for many years.

I’ve never been to M&Ds but it sounds like they were in trouble even before this virus. Sadly it seems that the virus may just tip them over the edge, leaving Scotland with no theme parks at all. Seems odd to have no theme parks in a place the size of Scotland.
There are one or two really small places, but M&D's was the largest.

If Drayton does close and its gone forever then I hope a UK park that survives can rescue Thomas Land and take it to their park. Its an important IP for people with young families and we've all had experience I bet with it in our lives. Be a shame to lose it.

Probably got a few other rides worth saving too like Air Race, Malestrom etc.

Hopefully it can survive and it doesn't come to this but I can't see it.

Lightwater Valley will definitely go.

Thomas Land IP will go somewhere, may even end up at Paultons seeing as Merlin have bought out the Peppa rights

If Merlin got hold of the rights to Thomas then gawd help us. The thing that Drayton got right with Thomas land is that it’s immersive and you feel like time and passion has gone into. Now Merlin on the other hand would just put stickers and cardboard cut outs and say job done. Obviously I could be wrong but the way they done CBeebies land left me with that impression.

Paultons don't need it given PL land is here to stay. Towers have Cbeebies and David Walliams now. Thorpe clearly not right market.

Think it would be better going to Flamingo land personally should Drayton have to close. However given their new coaster they would probably be strapped for cash themselves.

Chessington possibly could work.

Paultons don't need it given PL land is here to stay. Towers have Cbeebies and David Walliams now. Thorpe clearly not right market.

Think it would be better going to Flamingo land personally should Drayton have to close. However given their new coaster they would probably be strapped for cash themselves.

Chessington possibly could work.
Wouldn't it fit better with Legoland?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think Drayton Manor having the hotel and function rooms will be the biggest selling point as I know that hotel is full most Friday and Saturday nights with contractors staying there in the week.

No one will ever know how much this is effecting Merlin until it’s too late. To lose all your attractions and have up to 3-5 months without any income is going to rock you hard. But to then possibly go another up to 5 months with only half of the attractions open is going to affect them even more. If they lose the summer season like most tourist attractions will then obviously that’s going to have a big impact. Merlin is a big company but to have that many attractions in your portfolio and not gain any income for up to 4 months is definitely going to affect big time.

I was reading what the Orange country want in place so Florida attractions can reopen and thinking of Merlin attractions.
I can see none of the dungeons reopening as it’s too much of a risk for the actors and them rooms ain’t that big so be hard for everyone to keep 2m apart and families can’t really go there.
I can also see the wax works been closed as everyone will be touching the models and having there photo taken so staff will be always having to go round cleaning there faces and hands. It also will be hard to pick 2m away from each group.
Not sure on the sea life centres as they could easily let families go in every 5 mins but the queue will get big waiting if some families take longer than others can cause some problems with people waiting. Also the surfaces and glass will need to be regularly cleaned, touch pools and staff interaction will be cancelled to future notice.
Legoland discovery centres I can also see theses been closed as it be tough to regularly clean the rides down and regularly cleaning surfaces. The Lego build areas will have to stay closed.
Other Midway attractions it’s also gonna be tough to see them open if it involves groups and interaction with staff and surfaces been cleaned down after every group been round.

At the moment, I think no business big or small is safe from the current crisis. The bigger the business, the harder they will fall. It is not how much money the business has made or is worth, it is all about cash flow. At the moment, during lock down, the only way the cash is flowing, is out. Many businesses will have ongoing overheads, the bigger the overheads, the more at risks these companies will be during the crisis. This is a worrying times for all, especially for the leisure and tourist industry. I also fear for our economy and there is also a danger that this country as a whole (and many others) could go bust, and then we all will be in real trouble

I fear that we will emerge from this crisis and many of our well loved attractions including themeparks, Zoo's and seaside attractions that we visited on a regular basis will no longer exist.