• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which theme parks are you most worried about during Covid-19 lockdown?

Which theme parks are you most worried about in this time?

• Total voters
They asked people what they missed most during the lockdown and the top 3 were: Football, Pubs and seeing family and friends. I wonder where Leisure places were on the list?
At the moment I be more happy to just go back to work as with just Furlough pay I won’t be able to afford to go anywhere.

Sea life’s could open with timed tickets, but then you follow your own path and as a regular visitor to the Birmingham. on a busy day it’s absolutely rammed and with people stopping and starting could make 2m distancing a problem.

Dungeons definitely have no chance so that’s 5 attractions lost till the end of the year possibly .

Discovery centres I can’t see these being able to reopen a small space with no chance of social distancing, with the play areas I could be wrong but if not there’s another 2 attractions down.

Shrek I doubt this could open as it’s the same sort of set up as dungeons so another attraction down.

Blackpool tower now I was in two minds about this fine the 4d cinema thing is fine for social distancing, but once you all have to go into a lift and then on the viewing you haven’t got a massive space. you could social distance but it’s still a small space so I’m still unsure about this one.

Warwick castle this could possibly reopen ok obviously the towers would have to close, certain areas also would close, If it was to reopen I’d expect just the grounds to be open and possibly the house.

London eye could technically reopen but would it be worth the hassle, I could be wrong but being in a small pod with complete strangers could put people off but we shall see.

Madam Tussaud’s possibly could open the London one as it’s pretty big but then it’s the most popular, Blackpool could reopen but it’s smaller and I don’t know how they could social distance easy.

All the parks live for Easter, the school trip season and the summer. We've already lost one of those things and most definitely will be losing the school trips too. And if they do open up in July there will be a lot of measures put in place so they may as well not bother opening. If they have to limit guests but still plan to open most rides then they are screwed. Same overheads and less money through the gates.

I think we are going to lose a lot of parks this year. Some may be saved and reopened once there's a vaccine so it might not be permanent for all.

This is the biggest problem for most of the tourist industry, they have lost 2 major income factors. Even if schools in the unlikely situation go back I hardly doubt they will end up with end of year trips. So then it’s summer and I doubt many places tho I could be wrong could open till at least mid August even if they could open at the start of August due to limiting the amount of people I doubt they will generate the same income as they would in a normal August month. We will see many places close down or set up crowdfunders, I doubt we will see more then 2 parks close but we will see many smaller tourist attractions having to close up.

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but Marcus Gaines of Coaster Touring just put this on Twitter (he does have industry connections, so I’d say he’s quite a reliable source):

I wonder which park it could be? I did see someone suggest Oakwood, as that park apparently has 30 rides, but I guess we can’t be too sure!

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but Marcus Gaines of Coaster Touring just put this on Twitter (he does have industry connections, so I’d say he’s quite a reliable source):

I wonder which park it could be? I did see someone suggest Oakwood, as that park apparently has 30 rides, but I guess we can’t be too sure!

Christ knows what park it is I think the big clue is what park has unique rides to the uk. From my memory Oakwood don’t have any stand out rides that are unique.

Christ knows what park it is I think the big clue is what park has unique rides to the uk. From my memory Oakwood don’t have any stand out rides that are unique.
They do have quite a few; Drenched is a notable example. It’s unique to the UK in being the only Intamin Super Splash model in Britain (in fact, I think it’s now the only operating one in the world, correct me if I’m wrong), and things like Waterfall are also very unique.

However, on the park’s Wikipedia listing, which was being cited as a source for it matching up with the 30 rides figure, it’s listed as having 5 coasters, 4 water rides and 17 other rides, which equals 26 rides in total. So I’m really not sure.

It said opportunities for offers ended yesterday, so we may well hear some news about a UK park acquisition fairly soon! But in the meantime, can anyone think of a UK park with 30 rides, some of which are unique to the UK? I’ve been racking my brains, but can’t think of one; I’ll look through all the major parks in Britain and see if I can establish a candidate!

Is it normal for a park to be in such dire straights that it's up for sale, with offers being accepted, with this somehow being entirely concealed from the media? Seems a touch unlikely.

Is it normal for a park to be in such dire straights that it's up for sale, with offers being accepted, with this somehow being entirely concealed from the media? Seems a touch unlikely.
It's not exactly unheard of for businesses in general to try to keep it quiet that they need cash.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

General public don’t normally know what’s going on behind the scenes. So any park could be in major financial trouble or maybe the park operator just wanted out quickly. Could be anything just goto wait and see if it was true.

Enthusiasts dont normally know what is going on behind the scenes either.
Some think they do, but when it gets to the top financial matters, most havent got a clue.
Probably any from Oakwood, Lightwater, Yarmouth or Drayton would accept a reasonably good offer to get out of the industry in their current situation.

Has M&D's got 30 rides though? I think Oakwood is the most possible, but we'll wait and see.

Thorpe Park.
Interestingly, Thorpe Park actually doesn’t have enough rides to qualify, with only 26! I’m not sure whether 30 would be an exact number or a rough range, however...
EDIT: Fantasy Island apparently has 31; that’s pretty close. And quite a few of them are unique to the UK.

Last edited:
Interestingly, Thorpe Park actually doesn’t have enough rides to qualify, with only 26! I’m not sure whether 30 would be an exact number or a rough range

Well, there’s actual counting. And there is Merlin counting.

2ATYl7p.jpg

The classic catch all "and attractions", there. Pretty sure BPB used to claim they had (over?) 125 at one stage - no idea how they came up with that number.

Most UK parks are probably in the 20-25 region, I think BPB are in the mid-30s these days.