• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Who will win 2018's new coaster battle?

Which coaster will be the bigger success for its respective park?

• Icon

Votes: 80 60.6%
  • Wicker Man

Votes: 52 39.4%

• Total voters
They have many themed rides, but I get what you are saying. I'm not criticising them either, more drawing attention to the fact that the comparisons in this 'battle' aren't completely fair.
Yes, in many ways these to projects are entirely different.

At the end of the day, I'm just going to judge it by how much fun I've had at the end of the ride sitting on the brake run. I will be surprised if SW8 beats Icon for this.

Ok, obviously I haven't ridden either coaster yet, but when I created this thread, SW8 looked small and disappointing on the plans and whilst I felt that Merlin's marketing team would ensure the largest increase in visitors,I also felt that Icon would be by far the better ride.

Against all the odds, it looks to be coming down to the wire. It looks like we have a great thrill coaster and a great family thrill coaster with amazing theming and effects (if they maintain them).

I think both parks have done well and I wish them every success. I think that WM looks as though it may justify the "World Class Experience" claim, though apart from a lot of digging, I don't see where the "groundbreaking" claim comes in.

Will be a while before I get to ride them both, but really looking forward to it. At this stage, I'm expecting two excellent, but very different coasters, but I suspect that King Nemesis will retain it's crown.

Won't know for sure until I've ridden them.

Yeah both parks are on to winners this year and it's pretty unfair to compare the two as they are totally different and for different audiences.

Blackpool needed a state of the art coaster far more though. They may have quite a few coasters already but most are very old.

It's all bit surreal really having both in one year. As I'm from Manchester I'm perfectly positioned to visit both often as possible this year. :)

I voted Icon back when the poll opened, but after those night rides on Wicker Man, I suspect Icon may not be my favourite of the two!*

In terms of winner and loser. They can both be winners for the parks, as countless people have said.

* Daytime rides on Wicker Man without copious amounts of free alcohol and food might not be as good.

Last edited:
I voted Icon back when the poll opened, but after those night rides on Wicker Man, I suspect Icon may not be my favourite of the two!*

In terms of winner and loser. They can both be winners for the parks, as countless people have said.

* Daytime rides on Wicker Man without copious amounts of free alcohol and food might not be as good.
Free alcohol... Boy have I missed out!

Honestly, I couldn't really put in my two cents as I have yet to go on either. But... If I had to hazard a guess then I would say for me Wicker Man is most likely to be my favorite. I just cannot see the hypocrisy that some enthusiasts have when they complain UK rides don't have EU level theming and one comes around which could rival it and they say 'Actually I prefer the other one' and then proceed to complain about rides which have little to no theming again.

Yes, I know a few people who are like this.

For me Wicker Man looks to be the complete experience. For what looks like a better Icon I'd go to Liseberg, flights are not that expensive. For a better (or rather more thrilling) GCI I'd go to Europa, which has a Mack Multi-Launch anyway.

So for me I'd rather ride Wicker Man. Not to say that Icon will be bad, i'm sure it won't, I just like the complete package. A good ride and great theming rather than a great ride and non-existent/minimal theming.

Just my Opinion though.

To add to this too actually, I think they are both completely different types of ride. I'll most likely love them both. I guess maybe I've always felt a bit odd one out with the rest of you lot for thinking BPB was very 'meh' when I went and I much prefer my time at Towers.

...Couldn't put in my two cents...five paragraphs later!
I live very close to Blackpool, I'm glad I live closer to Icon than Wickerman.
We won't really know until they are both open and being ridden, but lets say I hope Blackpool have better weather for the opening.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did not use the right wording. I meant something more like take what I say with a grain of salt.

I think it depends on what the guest is looking for in a ride TBH. If they want a completely themed experience with a ride that is very re-rideable (albeit with a queue to match) that will appeal to a very broad age range (1.2m height restriction too) then Wicker Man will win hands-down.

If they are looking for something more extreme that may not be as re-rideable (but it will still have a good queue) then Icon is probably the ride for them.

I mention re-rideability, only because as much as I enjoy extreme rides, there is a limit before I need a break. At SeaWorld we bought q-jump wristbands and did Manta 5 times in a row (getting off & immediately rejoining the QuickQueue line) followed by Kraken 4 times in a row and needed a break afterwards. This was before Mako opened mind - can ride that all day as it's pure floaty airtime as opposed to the extreme G's Manta pulls. White Lightning at FunSpot Orlando is immensely re-rideable as the forces are less intense (& the ride staff were letting us stay on for multiple rides!)

At the end of the day, both Wicker Man & Icon will be good rides, with each focused at a slightly different demographic group. One is heavily themed, the other will be much less so - but BPB have never claimed to be a theme park.

Rode Wickerman yesterday and all I can say is ICON has big shoes to fill. WM has enough speed and thrills about it to not even be a family coaster at all for me and the overall finish and experience is simply stunning as we can all see.

The area, the queue line, the views, the soundtrack, the pre show, the stafion even the bloody shop...... they've not missed a trick.

It looked a forgone conclusion months ago for ICON but I'm not so sure anymore. They have to make an effort with the station and theming for me or it will just feel like another coaster in a sea of coasters.....albeit a shiny new one.

Wait for the "new coaster smell" to fade away on both rides, and we shall see. I suggest holding another poll in five years time, when none of the effects on WM work, the preshow is scrapped, and both coasters are only running one train.

Wait for the "new coaster smell" to fade away on both rides, and we shall see. I suggest holding another poll in five years time, when none of the effects on WM work, the preshow is scrapped, and both coasters are only running one train.

This.

I remember after The Smiler opened people, including Sanbrooke, hailed it as the greatest ride in the world.

Need to let the champagne to fizz out for a year or so until you get true, honest reviews.

Can't believe anyone could call The Smiler the greatest ride in the world. It's not even the best ride in X Sector.

Looking forward to Wicker Man on Monday though, all the touches towers have made make it look a complete experience.

I remember after The Smiler opened people also slating the masses of concrete, the ugly station building, the cheap materials on The Marmaliser (bins and 'the car wash') and saying the the ride was rough and uncomfortable. It was hardly praised to high heaven as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

There is of course the exciting 'a new ride' period where people praise a ride more than they will in 5 years time... although the key difference between Wicker Man and The Smiler (and even Rita, Spinball and Air) is that Wicker Man from the off is an immersive experience, feels complete, has a good queue, has great quality theming and great attention to detail. There little to nothing to complain about, the last time I can remember there being a coaster like that was Oblivion. It bodes out well for the future.

Enjoy both rides in the moment I would say. It's a great year for the UK theme park industry.

For me now:

1. Nemmy / Wickerman
* Need at least 3 or 4 more rides on WM to know for sure
3. Blivy
4. Galactica (minus the awful VR)
5. Smiler
6. Thirteen
7. Rita

Didn't even come off Smiler on its 2013 opening day blown away never mind now.