• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Why Europa-Park is still my favourite theme park

Gosh, that's very unfortunate and disappointing to hear about Silver Lake and Food Loop. Did your friend get to eat without trouble in the end or was it like that throughout the whole trip?

Gosh, that's very unfortunate and disappointing to hear about Silver Lake and Food Loop. Did your friend get to eat without trouble in the end or was it like that throughout the whole trip?

She eventually had to get food from the Lidl by Bell Rock.

Translation: "Your alergies are makink you veek, unt you should be removink yourself from ze gene pool, ja?"

I’d say Europa is up there for best park food along with Epcot & IMG World of Adventures. Yes they do have some very average outlets but they have so much variety it really is one of the best parks for food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The French Bakery is my favourite. There aren't many Theme Parks that let you buy a loaf of bread and eat it throughout the day. It's nice to have options that aren't fast food or sit down meal, especially when they are Theme specific. The fish trailer in Iceland is another great example.

On the whole I would say EP is pretty good for those with allergies, especially the hotels since the introduction of the new EU allergen regulations in December 2014 (EU FTW). All hotel restaurants offer menus that detail which of the 14 allergens that must be declared are in each dish. I always carry translation cards with me so that the serving staff and chefs fully understand the severity of my allergy.

Having said that, Walt Disney World go above and beyond when it comes to allergies, exceptionally good service.

:)

Beyond the Burger of Joy, Europa Park's food is nowhere near some of the best offerings (such as say, Dollywood, nor Polle's Kuchen)...

If you're rhapsodising about a burger then you're not eating the best food at EP. Flammlachs in Iceland, tapas at the Bodega, Ammolite... the list goes on.

If you're one of those people (of whom there are a surprising number) who don't venture far beyond chips and a vaguely gourmet burger then you're probably right, EP food isn't the best in that area. Maybe they should get a branch of Meatliquor in.

Meat Liquor would be a better option than the Rock Cafe though...

I doubt I'd ever be able to afford Ammolite, the menu makes my wallet cry (and has only existed on one of my trips to the park, this is what happens when you don't visit a park several times a year)... But having 3/4 high quality restaurants is no different to DLP having Walt's, Blue Lagoon and Chez de Remy in amongst the crap service places no? Especially when looking at the offerings in the parks alone (not hotels, few standard visitors would eat in such places)...

It's not like I ever said the food was bad, just mostly standard park fayre and not exactly the best sliced bread (especially as that's in the Efteling hotel apparently)... I know to say anything remotely negative is wrong on here but tis my opinion that the food isn't amazing, especially given most responses relate to the variety on offer rather than the quality across the park...

Hey, I'm all for defending EP's food, but let's not go slagging off Meatliquor here!

(Besides, what they actually want is a Patty and Bun)

Reactions: Sam
Meat Liquor would be a better option than the Rock Cafe though...

I doubt I'd ever be able to afford Ammolite, the menu makes my wallet cry (and has only existed on one of my trips to the park, this is what happens when you don't visit a park several times a year)... But having 3/4 high quality restaurants is no different to DLP having Walt's, Blue Lagoon and Chez de Remy in amongst the crap service places no? Especially when looking at the offerings in the parks alone (not hotels, few standard visitors would eat in such places)...

Rock Cafe... Ammolite... it sounds like you've missed the mid-range stuff at which the park excels, but which DLP doesn't have (at DLP it's either high end or crap lowest-common-denominator self-service stuff like Three Little Piglets / EuroBurger at EP). The Bodega, the Flammlachs hut, Mille Fleurs in France, Schloss Balthasar, Don Quixote, the cheaper end of the Captain's Finest menu. All excellent and high quality mid-range options, plus all the cheap but good snackier places (the bakery, tarte flambée, Kaffi Hús). To be fair, not sure how many of these were there at your last visit. :)

It's pretty much fine that there are some poorer restaurants on park. I don't walk into a McDonald's for example and expect the best. I get that some people want your basic, cheap burger. And EP provide that for those that want it. As any park does - and should.

What I am saying about food at EP is that there are at least 10-15 good quality places to eat, which I really enjoy. I actively look forward to the food experience whilst I am staying there.

I don't go to Rock Café. I don't go to The Three Piglets. I don't go to Euro Burger and I don't go to Euro-Mir burger either.

One of the key differences between DLP and EP though is price: the better restaurants in the parks at DLP will set you back €40 for a 3-course meal, easily. On the other hand, the most expensive restaurants in the park at EP will cost you around €25.

Other foods I love at EP are poffertjes (dutch pancakes), the choose-and-mix noodles from Bamboe Baai, the bakery items from the Boulangerie in France and the Magenbrot from the queueline kiosk in Fjord Rafting! Spices is also cracking!

It all adds up to make a great eating experience and I believe the quality is very good.

Benzin - please don't throw the card out about "I know it's not allowed to say anything bad about EP on here" - you know it's not true, and like I said - I made it clear that I didn't feel Europa was the best in the world for coasters, theming or entertainment. But factoring in everything, on balance, the product is fantastic and I know you think so, too! I don't mind if you don't rate the food, not at all. But make sure you have tried everything! That is, in itself hard - because there's about 50 places to eat...!

Here's to EP's own pale ale coming out soon!

:)

Last edited:
I must say, the pretzels are pretty good. :p

Freshly baked goods each morning... can't complain!

Just to turn this topic away from food, I agree with all the points made about Europa being one of the best parks in the world and being exceptional at everything they do.

Over the past couple of years, the attention of British enthusiasts seems to have turned away from Europa and more in favour of Phantasialand. Why?? I like Phantasia but Europa is clearly the superior park in every way, yet since Taron enthusiasm for Europa seems to have gone quiet and I don’t really get it.

My guess would be that's because PL is the better park for thrills, and it's been a while since EP has opened anything major. A lot of people still visit EP and still love the place, of course. And there are still plenty of excited first time trip reports on here.

I get that, but EP is clearly the superior park. I always respect difference of opinions and some of the parks/ rides which I enjoy are ones which totally go against public opinion, but I find it strange that, pre-Traon, there was so much love for EP yet in recent years that seems to have totally shifted. PL is great but has a lot of flaws; flaws which EP just doesn’t have.

If you could teleport me to either for 1 day it would be Phantasialand. If it was for 3 day break I'd say Europa.

It's difficult to compare the two as they're completely different experiences.

Edit: also reading back through the thread it seems I've missed out on a lot of the food offering at Europa. I usually go for a Tarte flambee or a standard currywurst.

The best thing about EP is the hotels and the whole resort feel that it has. Yes you pay a premium but they have a way of making the cost feel worth it.

Heck, I even went for 3 nights in the closed season. I think what's always been clear to me is the love that goes into the place, the family are really proud of their achievements. This in turn gets passed to the guest who can tell by their surroundings that the park is made with Love.

It's just overall a nice place to be. I've lost count of how many people you see just strolling through the park, walking their dogs. The atmosphere and landscaping is great.