• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

I don't know why everyone sticks up for Nemesis all the time. It's not rough but certainly not as smooth as wicker man. But tbh that should be expected based on the layouts. Nemesis is a raucous ride same with the smiler so you should expect them to throw you around more

I don't know why everyone sticks up for Nemesis all the time. It's not rough but certainly not as smooth as wicker man. But tbh that should be expected based on the layouts. Nemesis is a raucous ride same with the smiler so you should expect them to throw you around more
Nah Nemmy is definitely smoother than Wicker Man. :tearsofjoy:
That's why I rate her above it, and why I prefer Icon over Wicker Man.
*Cue controversy*

I wouldn’t say Nemesis is unbearably rough by any means, but the head banging definitely hurts my ears a bit, which definitely detracts from the experience for me. I still enjoy Nemesis, but I’d definitely enjoy it more if it didn’t have those head banging moments. I could also feel a little bit of a rattle through the train, but that didn’t detract from the experience for me. I definitely don’t find Nemesis rough, but I wouldn’t call it glass smooth by any means, either.

Then again, I haven’t really been getting the hype for Nemesis in general from my recent rides; I know it’s controversial, but it’s only my 4th favourite coaster at Towers these days, and I do actually rank Inferno above it.

I don’t really enjoy The Smiler much these days, as I find it a bit too rough for my liking, and I just don’t think it’s my kind of coaster in general these days. My last ride on it really hurt.
Nah Nemmy is definitely smother than Wicker Man. :tearsofjoy:
That's why I rate her above it, and why I prefer Icon over Wicker Man.
*Cue controversy*
Does Wicker Man’s roughness detract from the experience for you, or is it just that those other rides do more for you?

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Wicker Man is smoother than Nemesis per se, because a wooden coaster is naturally going to have a slight rattle by nature, but I definitely find it less painful than Nemesis; I feel no pain at all coming off Wicker Man, while Nemesis does make my ears hurt a bit. For a traditional wooden coaster, I think Wicker Man is probably about as smooth as it gets, and its level of smoothness definitely doesn’t detract from the experience for me.

I wouldn’t say Nemesis is unbearably rough by any means, but the head banging definitely hurts my ears a bit, which definitely detracts from the experience for me. I still enjoy Nemesis, but I’d definitely enjoy it more if it didn’t have those head banging moments. I could also feel a little bit of a rattle through the train, but that didn’t detract from the experience for me. I definitely don’t find Nemesis rough, but I wouldn’t call it glass smooth by any means, either.

Then again, I haven’t really been getting the hype for Nemesis in general from my recent rides; I know it’s controversial, but it’s only my 4th favourite coaster at Towers these days, and I do actually rank Inferno above it.

I don’t really enjoy The Smiler much these days, as I find it a bit too rough for my liking, and I just don’t think it’s my kind of coaster in general these days. My last ride on it really hurt.

Does Wicker Man’s roughness detract from the experience for you, or is it just that those other rides do more for you?

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Wicker Man is smoother than Nemesis per se, because a wooden coaster is naturally going to have a slight rattle by nature, but I definitely find it less painful than Nemesis; I feel no pain at all coming off Wicker Man, while Nemesis does make my ears hurt a bit. For a traditional wooden coaster, I think Wicker Man is probably about as smooth as it gets, and its level of smoothness definitely doesn’t detract from the experience for me.
I just prefer smooth coasters. :p
Wicker Man is fine, can be rattly but I put up with it as that's normal for a woodie.

Theres 5 rough coasters in this country imo and 3 of them are at Blackpool. Those 5 are the ultimate, Hero, Grand national, Big dipper and Infusion. The likes of Saw, Colossus, Rita, Big one and Spinball certainly aren't smooth though

Saw hurts my head...but inside...no banging either just a sharp burning sensation

It's a really strange feeling and leaves me with a headache...no other ride has ever left me feeling like it does

Only been on it twice and won't be going on it again as happened both times

Wicker Man does have a slight rattle, it did today but when I say slight. Had two fantastic rides first on row 9 and later on row 6. And blimey, the second ride on row 6 felt as fast as row 12 to me (which is the row I've ridden most when I visit in October with my cousin who has RAP). This is why I'm gonna be controversial and say again this thing is so much better than Icon (feels natural to compare as they opened the same year), it just gets better and better and still sits comfortably at my Towers No.2.

Wicker Man does have a slight rattle, it did today but when I say slight. Had two fantastic rides first on row 9 and later on row 6. And blimey, the second ride on row 6 felt as fast as row 12 to me (which is the row I've ridden most when I visit in October with my cousin who has RAP). This is why I'm gonna be controversial and say again this thing is so much better than Icon (feels natural to compare as they opened the same year), it just gets better and better and still sits comfortably at my Towers No.2.

Almost everything about is is better than icon . Pacing, Theming, you feel the speed more on wickerman too. Icon doesn't even beat it for airtime in my opinion, icon just seems 5mph to slow to me.

Almost everything about is is better than icon . Pacing, Theming, you feel the speed more on wickerman too. Icon doesn't even beat it for airtime in my opinion, icon just seems 5mph to slow to me.
Yeah the problem I personally have with Icon is I think it looks like a good product but is just slow and boring. Also, speaking of which, Wicker Man's airtime was incredible yesterday! I just think it is streets ahead. Wicker Man and The Smiler are the two absolute UK standouts for me and probably always will be.

Yeah the problem I personally have with Icon is I think it looks like a good product but is just slow and boring. Also, speaking of which, Wicker Man's airtime was incredible yesterday! I just think it is streets ahead. Wicker Man and The Smiler are the two absolute UK standouts for me and probably always will be.

Oh yes! It's not just me who's been getting some good pops of floater on it recently then, I think it's developed slightly more airtime than since opening year somehow. And couldn't agree with more with what you say about icon

I'd say that icon is still the best ride in the uk. In terms of top 10 uk I'd say:
1. Icon
2. Wicker man
3. Smiler
4. Nemesis
5. Inferno
6. Swarm
7. Saw
8. Stealth
9. Oblivion
10. Galactica

On the topic of Icon vs Wicker Man, I personally opted for Icon as I think it’s more my sort of thing, but it’s very, very close; Wicker Man was running phenomenally on my last visit! Quite a bit of airtime & blisteringly fast pacing, while also staying relatively comfortable (by wooden coaster standards) and extremely rerideable; no pain at all while still providing a really thrilling, fun experience!

I know it’s a controversial opinion, but they are easily my two favourite UK roller coasters, and both make my overall top 3 (Icon at #2 and Wicker Man at #3; I told you it was close!). The fact that they are 2 of the 3 roller coasters that make my 10/10 tier speaks volumes about my love for them (if you’re wondering, the 3rd is Mako at SeaWorld Orlando, which is my overall #1. For clarity, I’ve been on 72 roller coasters).

In terms of my UK top 10, out of what I’ve ridden, I would personally opt for:
  1. Icon (overall #2)
  2. Wicker Man (overall #3)
  3. The Swarm (overall #7)
  4. Nemesis Inferno (overall #9)
  5. Megafobia (overall #10)
  6. Galactica (overall #14)
  7. Stealth (overall #15)
  8. Oblivion (overall #18)
  9. Nemesis (overall #20)
  10. Shockwave (Drayton Manor) (overall #22)

On the topic of Icon vs Wicker Man, I personally opted for Icon as I think it’s more my sort of thing, but it’s very, very close; Wicker Man was running phenomenally on my last visit! Quite a bit of airtime & blisteringly fast pacing, while also staying relatively comfortable (by wooden coaster standards) and extremely rerideable; no pain at all while still providing a really thrilling, fun experience!

I know it’s a controversial opinion, but they are easily my two favourite UK roller coasters, and both make my overall top 3 (Icon at #2 and Wicker Man at #3; I told you it was close!). The fact that they are 2 of the 3 roller coasters that make my 10/10 tier speaks volumes about my love for them (if you’re wondering, the 3rd is Mako at SeaWorld Orlando, which is my overall #1. For clarity, I’ve been on 72 roller coasters).

In terms of my UK top 10, out of what I’ve ridden, I would personally opt for:
  1. Icon (overall #2)
  2. Wicker Man (overall #3)
  3. The Swarm (overall #7)
  4. Nemesis Inferno (overall #9)
  5. Megafobia (overall #10)
  6. Galactica (overall #14)
  7. Stealth (overall #15)
  8. Oblivion (overall #18)
  9. Nemesis (overall #20)
  10. Shockwave (Drayton Manor) (overall #22)

I always think a way to know a good coaster is if you can't decide your favourite part or element and that's the case with wickerman for me. I'm still yet to ride another GCI to compare it to though, but I do now thing it's the UK's best woodie too, however some more rides on megafobia soon could change that. A little off topic but for those interested in Woodies, there is a great page on Instagram called "hammerbrosuk", some great content of the refurbs they do across Europe.

Talking about favourite element, my favourite parts of each of the big 7
Smiler- 1st inversion and 2nd airtime
Wicker man- first drop and s bend
Nemesis- helix
Oblivion- drop (obvious)
Galactica- fly to ly
Rita- launch and airtime at the end
Th13teen- first drop and track drop

I dont think Wicker Man is rough at all, GCI’s just inherently have an out of control feel to them.

If you want a rough woodie go and ride Coaster Express at Parque Warner. That thing deserves to be burnt to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Random Wicker Man-related question; one thing I’ve noticed that it does that no other coaster I’ve ever been on has done (even other woodies) is that I’ve noticed it jerks back and forth a lot when it initially engages with the lift hill. Does anyone know why it does this, and do any other coasters do it?

I took my first ride of the season on it on Saturday, had to wait 90 minutes which was annoying, but what a ride it was! Got the back row, airtime was more than i've ever experience on it before.

I think it's pushing Nemesis out of it's number two position on my favourite tower's rides list.

1. Smiler
2. Wicker Man
3. Nemesis

Pretty decend top 3 there really. Didn't manage to get on Nemesis or Smiler at the weekend as the mate i was with refuses to go upside down.