Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig, 14th Mar 2018.

1. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Well Alton Towers is going ahead and opening a brand new indoor ride in two weeks time.

2. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Which most likely will be very successful and popular. I imagine it'll get big crowds and waits

3. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

Which was scheduled to open last year, but missed a whole season due to the pandemic, and is now opening late, and at reduced capacity, this season.And one that was announced and planned before the pandemic.

I was pondering how safe an investment a big new headline dark ride would be in these uncertain times?

The Indian variant of the Covid is scheduled to be announced of being "of concern" tomorrow, this could go on for years, with the possibility that a flagship new attraction may not be open for months at a time.

You'd think another flagship coaster would be a more certain investment.

To be honest, i've ridden them both recently, and having to wear a mask is no problem, the adrenalin helps with that - and the queueing isn't too bad really, got on Wickerman three times in a hour last week, and could've done more if i wanted too. Nemesis is often on a short wait time.

Last edited by a moderator: 6th May 2021
    pluk likes this.
  4. George Williams

George Williams TowersStreet Member

Wow what a incredible ride, rode 3 times yesterday and snagged a back row at the end of the day just after it had been raining and holy cow it was like a completely different ride I'm so glad I got to experience that.
    The air time moments on that last ride I've never experienced anything like it, seriously one of the best rides in the country.

Skyscraper, Connor98, Steve74 and 4 others like this.
  5. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

Was yesterday your first time on it?

6. George Williams

George Williams TowersStreet Member

I also had a loose lap bar on my last ride which helped accelerate the air time too
    It was indeed

7. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I rode WM in the back row towards the end of the day in the rain the Sunday just gone, and wow, it flew! Was suprisingly really smooth, which was completely unexpected. Could the fact it was raining have had something to do with that? I know the combination of water and oil reduces friction, increasing speed.

Last edited: 26th May 2021
    Brad97 and Matt N like this.
  8. Loui Richards

Loui Richards TowersStreet Member

just wondering but in 2018 and 2019 there was a large mist effect in the second tunnel of big bob on the side of the tunnel furthest from the path and it hasnt been on ever since 2019, did they take it out? To be fair im confused, they seem to have renewed the mist effects in the tunnels but not on big bob himself...

9. Ethan

I wonder if they'll ever bring the lighting package back on Wicker man. Maybe not to the full extent of 2018 but it would be nice to have it how it was in 2019 again. Last year with there being no lights it felt like we'd lost what was an outstanding night ride. The lighting package at night really was what made it so special

10. Loui Richards

Loui Richards TowersStreet Member

yeah i dont see why they cant,they had loads of extra lights for the garden walk last year, and extra 2 or 3 for wicker man shouldnt make much difference.

Skyscraper likes this.
  11. themeparkfan

themeparkfan TowersStreet Member

It would be nice to just be able to ride it

Skyscraper and NuttySquirrel like this.
  12. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    On Friday we when entered the queue just before 7pm, there were a bunch of tech men (I assume) looking up and around the the track just before the second pass through of the structure. Does this happen everyday? Or could it be something to do with why it's down? I assume not as it operated Saturday and Sunday but just curious.

13. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    This area of track was also being worked on yesterday. Obviously a repeat offender...

14. Ethan

God first it was the first pass through the structure and now its the 2nd pass through! One problem after another

15. Steve74

I wouldn't be surprised if this is temperature related (less than 7 days ago it was virtually single figure temps and very very wet and all of a sudden it's mid-high 20s and dry) and therefore could happen to any wooden coaster

jon81uk, Ethan and Skyscraper like this.
  16. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Wooden Coasters are living, breathing things.

Sadly one of those things. Hope the carpenters/technicians/engineers can fix it up ASAP - it's much missed.

17. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    Wonder if that area gets damp/affected by the misters? Would help explain it possibly?

Skyscraper likes this.
  18. Steve74

You'd like to think that the constant dampness from the misters will be within the design tolerances of the ride - I'd really like to think that GCI were told what the plan was with the misters and they gave it the all clear!

Skyscraper likes this.
  19. s_g_k

s_g_k TowersStreet Member

He’s finally open!

Matt N and Thameslink Rail like this.
  20. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

Feed the flames, etc etc.

Rick and Alsty like this.