• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

but it's got to be better than more queueing!?!
Ofcourse, its better than nothing.

Had a great WM night ride, very enjoyable. I still feel it's abit short, but it is what it is. Seems to be bedding in nicely and picking up pace over the year.

Thing letting it down now is the preshow door not closing most of the time, ruins the ambience. Plus 2 trains yesterday, they could do with the 3rd this weekend

They almost need a turnstile and counter (a la Hex) to count the correct number of people into the preshow room. A few times they've been unable to shut the exit doors due to too many people being admitted, and a few times I've seen them cut the preshow short (presumably not enough in the previous batch).

Ofcourse, its better than nothing.

Had a great WM night ride, very enjoyable. I still feel it's abit short, but it is what it is. Seems to be bedding in nicely and picking up pace over the year.

Thing letting it down now is the preshow door not closing most of the time, ruins the ambience. Plus 2 trains yesterday, they could do with the 3rd this weekend

So the pre show is better than nothing but you would prefer to skip it and have nothing? Not trying to be rude but it just made me laugh

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep cut half of the experience package to keep this man happy. I suppose you HATE Hex then?

To be fair, I think the suggestion is for there to be a way to evade the pre show, rather than cut it.

Having said that I think it’s excellent. I think everything about the ride is excellent through to be honest.

I don't understand the mentality. If you want to ride the ride, suck it up and stand through the pre-show that lasts for a minute or 2.

Yep cut half of the experience package to keep this man happy. I suppose you HATE Hex then?
Hex pre show is good but once you've seen the pre show you've seen it.

Back to Wickerman, it's a rollercoaster. Does it really need the pre Show?

On the plus side they do keep it fairly short.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Surely the idea is that it’s not just a rollercoaster. You are in a theme park, suspend reality and go with it. It’s an experience, an attraction and the preshow is integral to that entire package.

Long live the preshow.

Out of interest, does anyone know what sort of wheels Wicker Man runs? Because I've heard that certain types of wheel can affect the ride experience; for example, I've heard that nylon and polyeutherane wheels make the ride slower, whereas steel wheels make a ride faster. I've also heard about soft and hard wheel compounds, where softer wheel compounds apparently provide a smoother but slower experience whereas harder wheel compounds provide a rougher but faster experience. Am I right in saying all of this?

On the note of the pre-show, I love it and don't personally want it to go, although I can understand why someone wouldn't like it!

Back to Wickerman, it's a rollercoaster. Does it really need the pre Show?
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I think that the problem with Wickerman is that theme wise, nothing else in the queue, or on much of the ride experience itself matches up to the pre-show, so it is seen as a 'pre-show' segment, and 'getting the story out of the way' rather than part of a wider journey/context through the Wickerman ride, which I think disregards the show as a result. If the ride was more integrated around the story/theme, like Hex is with each room being equally elaborate, then I'm sure the pre-show would be appreciated more, and Wickerman wouldn't just be seen as a coaster but rather as a themed experience, which is what it was supposed to be. The pre show is really good and precisely because of the reasons above, it must never be neglected and the option of passing through should never be offered. It's everything else that should be changed, (minus the statue and the shop, both of which are already fantastic)

It is both practical and expected that a coaster of its type and size is highly themed, ideally to the extent that rides like ROTM and Expedition Everest are. If this was a debate about a B&M hyper, fair enough. The practicality of theming becomes more moot, and the emphasis can shift to ride forces alone. But a small GCI wooden coaster? No way.

Being as someone who is a certified Merlin criticiser and despiser, I will give credit to them for Wicker Man. I have ridden it three times now, once in day light, one at dusk, and one at night. And each time I have exited the ride with a massive smile on my face. It's an incredible ride, and is currently my favourite ride on the park. I think the theming is executed tremendously, as is the ride itself, within the limitations of what they had. The first drop is probably the my favourite drop on park, the airtime you get on the back row left me speechless, and the ride doesn't let go once it's warmed up.

I think it's a perfect fit for the park, so more of this please and less cringe inducing additions...Oh wait it's 2019 next year, isn't it? Bugger.

I like the pre-show, If I'm at the back, while everyone has their eyes on the pre-show, I just quietly sneak to the front of the group o_O

(Disclaimer! I don't really do this :D)