Wicksteed Park - Northamptonshire

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by LordOfDarkness, 4th Jul 2012.

1. LordOfDarkness

LordOfDarkness TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    A park with masses of potential, Recently installed Lodge Cabins and a clown coaster!

With the right investment I could see this place kicking off, They have loads of land just haven't utilized it!

Thoughts? :)

Posted 4th Jul 2012
  2. BigT

BigT TowersStreet Member

Do they still have that old water shoot (spelling?), I remember going on that as a very young child.

Posted 4th Jul 2012
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    The Nautic Jets? They did, but the last I heard was that they were getting removed. On my sole visit to the park in 2006, they were one of the highlights of my visit! :(

Posted 4th Jul 2012
  4. Mattmash

Mattmash TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Nautic Jets ftw!

Posted 5th Jul 2012
  5. Adam James

Adam James TS Contributor

Favourite Ride:
    Blue Fire
    I believe the Water Chute is still there - there's another one rather similar in Scarborough too.
    As for the Nautic Jets, they are being removed at some point this season.

Posted 5th Jul 2012
  6. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Well that sucks. I'd never even heard of the place util a couple of months ago and was going to visit when I was nearby pretty much only for a go on the Nautic Jets, which I think look like great fun.

Guess I won't bother at all now.

Posted 5th Jul 2012
  7. smudge

smudge TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    The water chute is still there, it looked old even when I was a kid, but it's still sanding.

I love the old decaying building it is in an the winch that looks like it Is powered by good will alone.

The nautic jets are death traps, but my fave ride there. They really are fun. I remember a couple of instances where they have flipped over nearly downing the riders. Very surprised h&amp;d haven't shut them/it down.

There really is an abundance of space. Also the pavilion hosts a large variety of events, weddings, proms, soul nights etc. The gardens really are lovely too.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but the pirate ships were te largest in the uk at some point.

They really are the most intimidating double pirate ships imaginable. The noise is epic, they really are old school.

Sadly i never see any real investment though :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted 5th Jul 2012
  8. Thomas

Thomas TowersStreet Member

I like Wicksteed Park, it's a proper family day out. Do I dare say as well it's the cheapest in the UK because of the token system they use, in that, if you bring your Gran and she doesn't ride anything she can still visit without having to pay an entrance fee.

I went last September, the nautic jets were ace! Only thing was that the rollercoaster was down that day due to high winds I believe. I don't think we'll ever see massive investments, with the logflume probably as big and as themed as it'll get, but I'd love to see a couple of new thrilling flat rides or a travelling cheap rollercoaster.

Nothing better than a Picnic with Wicky Bear!

Posted 5th Jul 2012
  9. ParkLogic_Chris

ParkLogic_Chris TowersStreet Member

Local park to me, used to absolutely love it as a kid and visit every day in the summer holidays pretty much...did work experience there, had a great time.

Unfortunately now it's turned to crap, disorganised staff, rude staff on park and removals left and right of more popular rides with no worth while replacements. The log flume was a step in the right direction however they back pedalled fast and since then haven't bothered. I also don't expect to ring up 4 times to be told 4 different answers to then be told they're not bothering anymore.

Nice gardens, decent pirate ship, water chute is good and the train provides a nice way to relax but even that's had cuts....the play park is free but to be honest it has nothing going for it otherwise.

Posted 5th Jul 2012
  10. MrMutterson

MrMutterson TowersStreet Member

Wicksteed is sadly looking very tired and dated. I Used to go every year with the entire family.

The nautic Jets were brilliant but often went a little to far (deep) into the water. I believe one season they introduced a 14 stone weight limit to prevent this.

The old boat shoot still operational although was modified a few years back to prevent it derailing when rocked by the riders.... Always good for an extra couple of drops as they attempted to get it back on the rails. Spoil sports! Lol

Sadly unless someone big buys the place out,with very aged rides, increasing costs and falling visitors, the cracks are well formed to suffer the same ill fate as American Adventure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Posted 5th Jul 2012
  11. BigAl

BigAl TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    I wouldn't worry about Wicksteed looking so tired for much longer (not that I'd know as I've never been :p ) as there's a new Managing Director who's on a mission to get the park back on-track and broaden the park's appeal!

An article on Blooloop goes into detail about the new Managing Director , Alasdair McNee, who moved from Chester Zoo as their Commercial Director to work at Wicksteed. At Chester Zoo he apparently...
    His plans include...
    McNee is keen to enhance the park's green spaces and the educational side of things, as well as get the local community and older guests more involved.

Make sure to read the full article as it's really interesting to see what's going to be going on at this attraction over the coming years. :)

12. MiserableMonkey

MiserableMonkey TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    X2
    Posted 9th Nov 2014
  13. smudge

smudge TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    No! No, just no :'(

This is the most intense Pirate Ship I've even been on, the sheer sound is intimidating on its own! It's easily the best attraction at Wicksteed.

Perhaps they are selling it because of its location. its right on its own at the top of the park, by the playground. Maybe it's noise complaints from the residents. Although I'd never dream of complaining, you can hear it over everything else. The shoddy maintenance is maybe taking its toll too? It certainly couldn't be moved. Apparently there are less than half of the amount of bolts in place to hold it down than required. Although at £80k, maybe remortgage? Don't think it would fit in the garden though :(

14. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Matt N, MattyH and Burbs like this.
    Posted 6th Mar 2020
  15. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Matt N likes this.
  16. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

Very sad news. Wicksteed is part of our history, and a really nice place to visit.

skyscraper likes this.
  17. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Looks like Wicksteed will likely return. Good news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-53403000

Joel3, Matt N and skyscraper like this.
  18. MattyH

MattyH TowersStreet Member

On the basketball court inside the Matterhorn
    Favourite Ride:
    It's a smal world