• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wifi on the way?

It can go either way I suppose.

But i think its a nice touch they are launching wifi tho - yey for towers (and yay for some good news - finally)

It's about time since the app is being encouraged to download with the new monorail audio. Q-Line Fun might actually be used more often now. I'm hoping for a more extensive app and hopefully it will make the locator for the maps and queuetimes to be more accurate on the app now.

To promote this I wouldn't be surprised to see another check-in day to reel in some secondary spenders.

I would personally much prefer that money to be spent on opening rides on time, to be honest i am not usually thinking about checking my notifications on park, however I do appreciate any *free* service from towers

This is a very welcome if somewhat overdue move!

i for one struggle to get any signal on resort, thus making the much talked about Alton Towers App pretty much useless, along with Facebook and Twitter.

It took me a while to work out what those little boxes were i saw one the other Friday some of us were on park outside spooks are us, its nice to see they are making this effort to bring the parks communication infrastructure into the 21st century, seeing as while the rest of the world is preparing for 4G, Towers still have woefully inadequate 3G signal!

Now I know some beady eyed TSTer will have taken a photo of these wireless boxes to share...

cotda said:
I would personally much prefer that money to be spent on opening rides on time, to be honest i am not usually thinking about checking my notifications on park, however I do appreciate any *free* service from towers

I think the contracts for all of this where signed before the "cuts" came into affect...

At the end of the day this can only be good news and well done to who-ever's hard work it was to pull it off, it's nice to have positives to talk about :)

Do we know for sure if it will be free or not? As they could have actually awarded the contract to a company who we're willing to foot the installation bill in return for a % of profits.

The only prominent places with any form of 3G on park seems to be the Monorail Station and Sub-Terra's queue line at the moment, so it's good to see the park potentially putting free wi-fi throughout the park.

It'll certainly make check-ins and updates for twitter that bit easier. :)

If you go onto The Cloud website, Alton Towers is located as WiFi hotspot area on their map. Im glad they're getting WiFi, I've always thought why don't they get it since the Mobile Reception at the Towers is all ready awful. Having a already large presence on the Social Media, will also help with Promotion through "Check-ins" and "Status/Tweet". I just pray it's free, which I think it will be.
Well Done Alton Towers :D

Three provide great 3G signal right across the park. easily get around 4Mbps on my phone. You just need the best 3G network!

Wi-Fi will still be a great addition though! :)

This is certainly good news, I'm sure a lot of people will want to make use of on-park WiFi. I'm confident that it will be free as I highly doubt enough people would be willing to pay for it to make it worthwhile. They will be doing it to enhance the use of social media which is something they see as very important I feel. A good move for both the park and guests alike!

:)

I can just see it now, ''Prometheus was at Nemesis' Loop - 1 minute ago'' :p

Seriously though, if free it'll be a marketing jackpot. Plus, if towers can update the queue times efficiently for the resort app then this could hopefully even out the guest spread? At the end of the day, guests in short queues are happier guests.

I really hope that with this, the park sorts out the Facebook check-in situation.

Checking into 'Alton Towers' is fine, but the rest are just a mess! Either you have to check into 'Rita!!!!!!!' or 'Nemisis Sub Terror' or numerous other misspelt or poorly worded locations, because they have become the de-facto official check-ins for their respective rides due to the number of hits.

Is there any way Alton can sort all that out, merge some together, and have uniform check-ins for each ride across the park?

oldgitben said:
Now I know some beady eyed TSTer will have taken a photo of these wireless boxes to share...

Funny you should say that, Ben! Why not check out the news article and our Facebook page for photos of just those things!

mrbrightside said:
It will allow much wider use of the Resort app and will encourage more to use it... Currently the only thing loadable frequently are the queue times.

I hope that this will bring about a refresh of the app too. With a more immersive experience as data usage will be less of an issue. More little games and fun for killing time in the queues would be welcomed!

The Resort app is awful at the moment. Every time I attempted to use it, the queue times function wouldn't work because it said I "wasn't at the park" - even when I had a full 3G connection. The rest of the app works well, if slowly, although most of it is basically useless - especially the "plan your visit" thing which merely allows you to order the rides. :mad:

depending on the type of Wireless Access point (WAP), means they could use it in a corporate way.

Some WAP's offer a dual network connection configuration, that allows two separate networks to use the single WAP. so they can have a visible insecure free public connection and a hidden secure corporate connection.

If they have then, it gives flexibility to their data systems.

Oooh, Wi-Fi! Finally!

This is awesome! On a day out with friends & family, I can now spend all my time on Facebook & Twitter - YAY! It just goes to show how times change!

But in all seriousness, this IS awesome news! :) As much as they are trying to maximise profits, I doubt they would charge for Wi-Fi as hardly anyone would buy it, would they?
Especially as giving out free Wi-Fi gives them free advertising, it would be silly not to!

Plus, the stereotypical guest on park doesn't complain that much, as they don't really notice the changes as much as we, the geeks do. They just see it as a very fun day out - maybe a little over-priced! However we have seen the changes so we can see how stupid the money saving issues get!
And if they do have a bad day, say all the rides break down, or there is a park wide power cut of some sort, they might prepare themselves better and because of that, lots of positive feedback for the fan pages (Like the beginning of the year - FREE FAST TRACKS!)

As for interactivity and apps!

As Mags said, There are endless possibilities for this! Pure genius!

• People can give their views on things as they go around on park about anything! Rides, The queue times, food restaurants (If any are open), the shows, hotels, waterpark and lots more
  • Queue times for restaurants
  • How to make the most of your day - When to buy & use your fast tracks
  • Duel leaderboards for the hour/day/month/season/all time
  • Photo Galleries, upload photos of you having a great time at Towers
  • Deals and Offers for completing things
  • Heck, even live interviews with Dean about how he got his annual pass ;)

My brain isn't that creative atm, it's late - But there are SO MANY ideas that Towers could utilize for their benefit! If done correctly of course!

I take it I'm the only one who couldn't care less then? I view a trip to a park as a chance to escape reality, and that includes the internet.

Don't worry, I'll see myself out...