• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

WWTP Radio, Thorpe Park's iconic radio station!

I'd like to imagine the music keeps the parents / older people occupied whilst the youngsters are queuing for the rides haha

Another fun fact. In 2003-2005, the 50s/60s music that’s played in Amity was so popular (I assume it was due to popularity anyway) the type of 50s and 60s music that we hear on WWTP was also played in the admissions area and over the bridge, albeit with a different playlist. Not really sure what the logic was behind that, but I liked it.

Wish they'd do that today, although I'd imagine that music has fallen out of favour with most of the public nowadays - I still catch a couple of people singing a few of the songs though lol

Another fun fact. In 2003-2005, the 50s/60s music that’s played in Amity was so popular (I assume it was due to popularity anyway) the type of 50s and 60s music that we hear on WWTP was also played in the admissions area and over the bridge, albeit with a different playlist. Not really sure what the logic was behind that, but I liked it.
It was pop music played rather than WWTP. Played admissions, bridge and beach and created lots of mixed discussion on forums back in the day.

Loggers Leap and Canada Creek also had a playlist, with country and western music. Everyone used to go mad when 9 to 5, Joleyn and 5,6,7,8 to name a few came on!

It was pop music played rather than WWTP. Played admissions, bridge and beach and created lots of mixed discussion on forums back in the day.

Loggers Leap and Canada Creek also had a playlist, with country and western music. Everyone used to go mad when 9 to 5, Joleyn and 5,6,7,8 to name a few came on!
I think the Canada Creek playlist was just that - a playlist. For ambience, whereas WWTP is meant to be a radio station.

I could be completely wrong though...

In other news, I'm hoping someday someone finds the full Tidal loop because it would really cool for that to surface lol

I think the Canada Creek playlist was just that - a playlist. For ambience, whereas WWTP is meant to be a radio station.

I could be completely wrong though...

In other news, I'm hoping someday someone finds the full Tidal loop because it would really cool for that to surface lol
Yes you are right it wasn't a radio station, but it was nice to have areas of the park with actual songs.

I never said it was WWTP played at Admissions and on the bridge. I said it was 50s and 60s music which was played in these areas in the mid 00s. It was not pop music as you stated.

Pop music was however, played at Admissions and on the beach around 2011-2015 which, as you’ve said, did cause controversy.

From 2003-2005, and for a bit of 2006, 50s and 60s music, like would be heard on WWTP, was 100% played at Admissions and on the bridge.

So just the music but without the ads etc?
I never said it was WWTP played at Admissions and on the bridge. I said it was 50s and 60s music which was played in these areas in the mid 00s. It was not pop music as you stated.

Pop music was however, played at Admissions and on the beach around 2011-2015 which, as you’ve said, did cause controversy.

From 2003-2005, and for a bit of 2006, 50s and 60s music, like would be heard on WWTP, was 100% played at Admissions and on the bridge.

Yep the Loggers Leap playlist was brilliant. I'm still very bitter about how that ride was closed and left to rot.

Thorpe’s audio has always been a huge passion of mine. In my younger years I was a regular (weekly) visitor to the park and this was from around 2003 to 2009 which was, in my opinion, the golden era for Thorpe audio, so this topic has triggered a lot of memories.

In regards to the Canada Creek playlist, for the vast majority of its life, it was just a playlist with no ads, comedy inserts etc, however (and I imagine most people have tried to erase this from their memories), for a very, very brief period in the autumn of 2004, Thorpe experimented with CCTP Radio playing around Canada Creek and in Loggers queue line, presumably to capitalise on the success of WWTP.

CCTP Radio only lasted for literally a few weeks before being pulled and them reverting back to the simple playlist. And honestly it was awful. The inserts were terrible and sounded like they’d been recorded on a dictaphone. The accents of the voice actors were very unconvincing, and there was next to no humour in it at all. I remember people on the Thorpe Park forums were outraged at the time and had nothing but criticism for it. I imagine that the staff and guests felt the same, and it was very quickly pulled.

The Canada Creek playlist actually was completely changed in early summer 2011, when all the likes of Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Steps etc, were seen as too outdated for Thorpe’s demographic. The 2011 onwards playlist was much less upbeat and featured songs from Kings of Leon, Jessica Simpson, Nickelback and Matchbox Twenty, all of which were kind of country in their style but never quite hit the same as Cotton Eyed Joe and all the previous playlist’s songs.

How does the queueline "fact" they proudly display on their screens, that you can still see parts of Loggers Leap from Hyperia, make you feel?
Despite having spent a lot of time in the Hyperia queue, I haven't actually anything Loggers related on the screens. Just Mr Silkstones boat race on repeat.

I accidentally photographed some rotting Loggers Leap remains whilst trying to get a pic of the Swan couple that has moved into the Hyperia swamp last week...

1000040536.jpg

Good to know a little bit of Loggers is still knocking about lol
Despite having spent a lot of time in the Hyperia queue, I haven't actually anything Loggers related on the screens. Just Mr Silkstones boat race on repeat.

I accidentally photographed some rotting Loggers Leap remains whilst trying to get a pic of the Swan couple that has moved into the Hyperia swamp last week...

1000040536.jpg

1000040536.jpg
I could have sworn I've seen it on the screens, but it's certainly featured in the app.
1000023059.png
I'm not terribly sure why you'd boast that you hadn't gone to the effort to fully remove a ride, or clean up the area, though.

So an interesting fact about WWTP radio at Stealth that I've not seen posted here (and not sure how well known it is), is the way in which it originally* worked.

The system comprised of two media players (Golding DMS3000 units for fellow AV nerds 🤓); one for jingles, one for music tracks. Each was set to play in a random order (but complete all tracks before starting again in a new random order).

One player would trigger, and play a random jingle. The end of this audio file would create a trigger sent to the other media player, to play a random music file. The end of that audio file would create a trigger sent to the first media player, to play a random jingle... and so on and so on.

In this way, you get a random mix of music and jingles, constantly changing, never in the same order, and thus having the illusion of being extremely long! I mean it was extremely long - with over 45 jingles and 150 music files - but the random nature just added to the illusion. Ingenious really.

* - in later years, it was definitely just a single long mix-down track - in fact I've no idea how long the above lasted for, though I imagine a fair few years from the ride's opening in 2006. My guess is that it would've been replaced with the simpler single mix-down track around the time Project Link occurred, linking all the park's audio infrastructure, around the 2013-15 mark.

One of my favourite parts about visiting Thorpe! It does create a very nice, and somewhat atmospheric, energy around Amity and the song choices themselves are great. Makes queuing for Stealth especially a lot more bearable