• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

x factor

I don't want to hijack the topic with my views on the farce that is Fuhrer Cowell's attempt to dumb down society and water down and freeze culture, but I will say the X Factor is an insult to the industry.

Talented, original, hard-working musicians will never reach an audience because these karaoke fraudsters fast track their way to fame, and for what? A year or two of fame, singing songs they didn't write and turning the Christmas lights on in small, low income towns?

I mean, why slog it out for years playing to no one, creating your own sound, image, identity and slowly building up a fan base, getting bigger and better, when you can go on tv, sing some covers exactly like the original version and have a label create the image for you? It will be one of the three or four images every pop star since the 80s have had, but hey, at least you didn't have to put any effort it, right?

EDIT:
Remember this gem?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9RunljdHow[/youtube]

I think the show was actually pretty good for say, the first five seasons. But the whole thing has become overly staged and hyped with a load of fluff added to try and make up for the increasing lack of talent year on year. You always expect a show like this to be highly edited to a certain degree, but the last few seasons have become a huge farce. I mean the fact that they stick random contestants together, tell them to talk about a certain topic and then edit this conversation further is proof enough. It's so desperate they now resort to opening the competition up to those with record contracts. And yet, the standard of talent is still poor.

I mean, what happened to the auditions with just the contestants facing the judges? It was far more entertaining. And few of the people feel genuine anymore, instead we get a load of Essex type characters with a cruddy TOWIE style edit to reflect this. The whole thing needs stripping right back, and then completely rebranded and relaunched. Personally, I would advocate getting rid altogether but I can't see Cowell killing off his fattest cash cow anytime this decade at least.

I've said enough about the X Factory, so I'll let the great Bruce Dickinson do it for me.

528517_10151450424519202_1205933326_n.jpg

And also Charlie Brooker
4:45 on
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNRaK1jBUw[/youtube]

CoasterCrazyChris said:
The whole thing needs stripping right back, and then completely rebranded and relaunched.
No, it needs killing. Killing.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
I think the show was actually pretty good for say, the first five seasons. But the whole thing has become overly staged and hyped with a load of fluff added to try and make up for the increasing lack of talent year on year. You always expect a show like this to be highly edited to a certain degree, but the last few seasons have become a huge farce. I mean the fact that they stick random contestants together, tell them to talk about a certain topic and then edit this conversation further is proof enough. It's so desperate they now resort to opening the competition up to those with record contracts. And yet, the standard of talent is still poor.

I mean, what happened to the auditions with just the contestants facing the judges? It was far more entertaining. And few of the people feel genuine anymore, instead we get a load of Essex type characters with a cruddy TOWIE style edit to reflect this. The whole thing needs stripping right back, and then completely rebranded and relaunched. Personally, I would advocate getting rid altogether but I can't see Cowell killing off his fattest cash cow anytime this decade at least.

My exact thoughts and feelings of the show.

Thing is, when X Factor (eventually) gets axed, 2 years down the line another show with a similar format will come on TV - still being owned by Cowell.

Pop Idol, Popstars: The Rivals, Fame Academy... these 'talent' shows have been around for decades. Those three have only been something that's come out the 00s, although behind that you have many shows (such as Stars in Their Eyes) that have followed the basic format of 'finding a star'. All of them have a slight change in format although still stick with the basic foundations. I predict that the day X Factor leaves there will only be another show following it - and it would be highly likely that Cowell will own the 'next' talent show.

Blaze said:
I've said enough about the X Factory, so I'll let the great Bruce Dickinson do it for me.

528517_10151450424519202_1205933326_n.jpg

Why are we discussing the worst show on Earth with the UG Land font? (Liddie Black).

I'm with Blaze on this one. I used to actually watch X Factor and enjoy it (we all make mistakes, shut it). And then I realized that I was wasting an awful lot of time. Especially considering I hugely dislike popular music anyway. I don't have anything at all against the people who do enjoy it still and watch it. And I actually know all about this "big scandal" of last weekend due to overhearing conversations at work about it.

The whole "reality TV" genre is our modern day version of public executions. People gather in their masses to see who is getting the chop next, investing genuine levels of hate or love into these shows and everyone involved within the shows. Back in the day a good beheading or hanging was the weekly entertainment, the louder the crowd boo'ed or cheered the more exciting it became. Nothing much has changed except that we don't literally kill people anymore, we just drag them through the mud/media and then gather around to see if they make it on a Saturday night.

But I realize this topic is not called "moan about the X Factor" so to throw in something relevant for good measure... is it actually true that there is someone on the show this year who writes/performs their own songs? And if so, are they any good?

I think there is. Not sure if this makes me hate them more or less than the average contestant.

I remember the bloke who won a few years ago was in a band but gave them up to go on X Factor and take the easy option.

I do like that public execution analogy, gosling.

The X Factor. Completely pointless. I didn't mind it at first, but now, I find it to be a 'get-rich-quick-appear-in-the-tabloids-and-gossip-mags-for-a-few-weeks-afterwards-and-never-get-heard-of-again' show (yes, I know it's a mouthful). Through this show, Simon Cowell is cutting the cultural throat of the UK and drinking its still-warm blood (to paraphrase Lauren Laverne).

It's like a Victorian freakshow, especially the early rounds. We realised it's immoral to put unusual people in cages to throw tomatoes at so now we invite them on tv so we can laugh at them and insult their delusions of talent and desperation to break out of their miserable lives.

Notice we never hear the sob stories from the really bad and weird looking people? It's because we wouldn't feel so comfortable laughing at people having their dreams crushed if we knew their parents were dead and they've got serious learning difficulties.

Quite.

I've got to be honest and say, I find myself liking people LESS who have a sob story on these shows. I used to mute the TV when contestants would start doing their big emotional bit to camera, and then unmute it when they started singing. I feel like those people are genuinely decent enough people who happen to be quite gullible or impressionable, and are having any tragedy in their lives exploited by the guys who run the show. Shame really.

"If only there was some sort of contest where people compete against each other for who has the saddest life story, and there's some singing between rounds."

I'm interested in this one who does their own music though. Setting aside the fact that they're on the show, are they actually any good? I shall consult YouTube about this.

Put it this way, the winner get his/her's 15 mins of fame, then never gets heard of again. Whilst the losers return to their jobs at the checkouts at Tesco.

God awful show, even worse is the public's reaction towards it, like "OMGLOL I thinkz dat (Insert singer which sounds like a dying cat) iz gonna win becoz there zo AWWWWWESOME N FIT!!!!" It's painful to watch, it's also annoying when people accuse it being fixed. It isn't, all of the singers are truly that god awful.

Why can't X Factor, the contestants, the judges, the voters and everyone else be washed away instead of the concrete? :(

:p

Blaze said:
Why can't X Factor, the contestants, the judges, the voters and everyone else be washed away instead of the concrete? :(

:p

I think they should end up being drowned in the crap they make......Driven to insanity by their own crap music.