• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

X-Sector's Future (including Oblivion and The Smiler)

Always a laugh to see the Smiler hatred as it does show a little bit of thoosie snobbery...anything that's not a B&M or Mack is already at a disadvantage I've noticed though Hyperia might be an exception to that rule I've noticed.

And you think Smiler's rough? That is like glass compared to the torture I've gone through at that place know as M&D's so I'm more a veteran for roughness over what most people have experienced on here and when I say something is rough then you know its bad. Anyway, on topic again, it does seem that there is some cleaning work going on with Smiler, can't say if the same is happening with the rest of X-Sector.

I'd argue that Oblivion is the ride the park is generally most well-known for. There is no way it's getting removed any time soon. I would imagine that Oblivion would be easier to 'update' than Nemesis. Nemesis had to be retracked due to the strain of repeated force. When looking at Oblivion's layout, I image that only the vertical drop and over-banked turn would need to be replaced. The rest of the ride either encounters little, to no force (lift hill, break run) or is supported by being laid flat onto concrete (the bottom part of the tunnel). I think Oblivion would really benefit from a small retrack (if needed), new cars and a theming clean up. I really don't think it would take even half the effort of the Nemesis rebuild to bring it back up to scratch.

I could see an oblivion refresh being easier to sell than Nemesis too. But unlike Nemesis, there would need to be a change to the ride to make it worthwhile, maybe Floorless trains would go well with the marketing team one day.

Reactions: LJP
I could see an oblivion refresh being easier to sell than Nemesis too. But unlike Nemesis, there would need to be a change to the ride to make it worthwhile, maybe Floorless trains would go well with the marketing team one day.
I fell like that's one of the only things they could do to be able to market it as 'new' to the general public. It's not like Nemesis, which has intricate theming and a complex ride structure, where it is a little more obvious what has been improved.

Would be nice if they could include some *very* small speakers in the headrests, to bring back the 'Don't look down' without causing too much extra noise.

Somebody make a Smiler vs Nemesis topic would love to see a poll to know who picks what
Well feel free, well volunteered. At least this tiresome subject matter would have it's own place and there would be no need to keep injecting it into other threads every couple of weeks over and over and over again.

Back on topic, would turning the Oblivion back seats around be an option for the old girl? Could call those rows Oblivion: Oblivious or something. What an experience going down that drop backwards would be.

Alright, from all the talk of what ride or maybe retheme X-Sector could see in the future, any idea about what to do with the X-Cite building and former Oblivion shop within it?

I can't remember who said it but if you were to gut out all the arcade machines in there then you'd have a fairly large space for an indoor attraction of some kind and thus more capacity.

Either a Black Mirror maze like attraction which in theory could be done fairly cheaply making it tempting if Merlin decide to pull back on big spending or, dare I say, another dark ride of some description. Honestly I feel that is a part of X-Sector that doesn't get talked about and if the park is looking to be open for more days of the year then more indoor attractions are needed which I'm sure the park know very well this is needed (hence Project Horizon) and the potentially have a location with X-Sector that can be used for this purpose.

Alright, from all the talk of what ride or maybe retheme X-Sector could see in the future, any idea about what to do with the X-Cite building and former Oblivion shop within it?

I can't remember who said it but if you were to gut out all the arcade machines in there then you'd have a fairly large space for an indoor attraction of some kind and thus more capacity.

Either a Black Mirror maze like attraction which in theory could be done fairly cheaply making it tempting if Merlin decide to pull back on big spending or, dare I say, another dark ride of some description. Honestly I feel that is a part of X-Sector that doesn't get talked about and if the park is looking to be open for more days of the year then more indoor attractions are needed which I'm sure the park know very well this is needed (hence Project Horizon) and the potentially have a location with X-Sector that can be used for this purpose.
Black Mirror was too overly complex for its own good. Simply set up a pre show video (we’re preparing you for marmalisation with our new optic testing facility) and have it as a standard mirror maze would be perfect. PortAventura has a mirror maze attraction that sits on a much smaller space, and it’s a great filler

A good option for the X-Cite building would be a Ministry of Joy themed indoor play area, with a cafe/tables. I feel like Towers are missing places to make it easier for multi-generational families to visit - teenagers go on Oblivion/Smiler while Mum/Grandad have a cuppa while the 5 year old goes feral in the soft play. Because the building is slightly tucked out of the way, I don't think it would ruin the X Sector theme too much (well, not as much as a fried chicken shop does anyway).

Black Mirror was too overly complex for its own good. Simply set up a pre show video (we’re preparing you for marmalisation with our new optic testing facility) and have it as a standard mirror maze would be perfect. PortAventura has a mirror maze attraction that sits on a much smaller space, and it’s a great filler
Sorry I didn't make myself clear; I meant to say like Black Mirror but not a clone of that attraction but certainly a mirror maze attraction with an original IP and all is good and I do love that idea what you came up with, maybe it could be like a 'final boss' attraction for X-Sector in which you discover the truth of say the missing ride cars of Oblivion and the MOJ's true intentions and you have to, ahem, X-Scape (name anyone?) From the maze so to speak thus tying the whole theme of the area in together.
A good option for the X-Cite building would be a Ministry of Joy themed indoor play area, with a cafe/tables. I feel like Towers are missing places to make it easier for multi-generational families to visit - teenagers go on Oblivion/Smiler while Mum/Grandad have a cuppa while the 5 year old goes feral in the soft play. Because the building is slightly tucked out of the way, I don't think it would ruin the X Sector theme too much (well, not as much as a fried chicken shop does anyway).
That too would be good, actually, it's a large enough building to have whatever you need, maybe split in two with one for a mirror maze attraction and the other for an indoor play area or is that too much?

Regardless, more indoor attractions are needed if they want to open more days in the year and the X-Cite building is ripe for something to be done with it though you could argue that there are many empty buildings on the park such as in TWODW that could all be used for an indoor attraction of some kind so really anything is possible.

Really like this idea. My kids (6 & 3) are naturally too small for the coasters there, so whilst us as the parents take turns riding Oblivion & Smiler, they're not up to much and just sitting around waiting.

Please, merlin, if you're reading this ...

I think a Huss Breakdance 5 would go really well on the Enterprise site. Stick a roof on it as well and go for a futuristic theme would suit the area well. It's also more family thrill orientated which the area needs. Like the idea of a fun house as well.

Speaking of a futuristic theme, given how there were older concepts for Smiler that had more of a sci-fi edge such as the Marmaliser being more speaker compared to what we got, it does seem that some upgrade for X-Sector was always planned but alas many things got in the way.

Given how it has been mentioned that Forbidden Valley is taking X-Sector's secret government military theme then it might be the time for X-Sector to see a make over likely more science fiction based. Funnily enough when we still had Black Hole in operation there, you would be suprised to hear how many I remember at the time thought that X-Sector was the space themed zone all because it had a coaster that was to take you into space.

Plus, in a ideal world if say the Port Discovery concept ever did come about as in say Project Horizon and TWODW being rethemed in a Steampunk area, it would serve as a mirror image of the future in which Port Discovery is the future as thought about from the past while new look X-Sector with a heavy Science fiction look would be future as it would be.

Honestly, X-Sector is perhaps has the most ripe for change that if done correctly could be special and given how tired that area looks, it needs it more than ever.

Even though the two areas (X Sector and Forbidden Valley) on paper sound quite similar, the execution is, I think, very different. Forbidden Valley will *always* be more sci-fi, it's inescapable. I mean, it has a massive papier-mâché crab monster covering half of it and a magic space portal on the other.

Forbidden Valley is more of an 'active' battle scene, The Phalanx are there because there's a battle going on. X Sector is the slightly more glossy 'government facility' - it's more clinical and organised.

To really differentiate the two areas going forward, X Sector needs to be kept in pristine condition - to maintain the idea that it's a state-of-the-art facility. This would mean the park will need to keep on top of regular maintenance - it won't be able to use the mantra that other areas of the park depend on: 'Scruffiness adds to the theme' (Original Nemesis, Dark Forest, Rapids and to some extent Wicker Man).

I think they need to maximise the use of things like comical amounts of security cameras, fresh concrete, red flashing lights and occasional (quiet!) sirens.