• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your airport count

Even if you consider the M25 as London's northern city limit (which of course it isn't) then Luton is a good 25 miles away.

Hard to remember now but I think 46 (if I've counted correctly):

London Luton
London Heathrow
London Gatwick
London Stansted
Manchester
Paris CDG
Strasbourg
Alicante
Malaga
Ibiza
Menorca
Mallorca
Lanzarote
Orlando
Chicago O'Hare
Bogotá
Lima
Cusco
El Alto
Rurrenabaque
Reykjavik
Gothenburg
Copenhagen
Schiphol
Milan
Berlin (as Schönefeld and Brandenburg)
Cologne Bonn
Munich
Hamburg
Basel
Prague
Vienna
Budapest
Athens
Corfu
Heraklion
Larnaca
Dublin
Doha (transfer)
Auckland
Wellington
Christchurch
Melbourne
Brisbane
Sydney
Cairns

Rurrenabaque was literally a small building by the jungle so probably the most unique I've been to.

Stansted remains the worst of the lot though I last flew from there in 2018 or 19 so maybe it has got better. I hated Berlin Schönefeld so having Brandenburg now is much better.

Doha was only a transfer but it's a terrific airport. O'Hare and Heathrow T5 are good too with plenty of options for food/drink and travel links are easy.

Cusco, Bogotá and La Paz, be prepared to be out of breath when you arrive as you adjust to the high altitude!

Some others aren't particularly poor, just small like Strasbourg and the island ones.

Luton is my local airport so I'll often choose that simply for convenience. I flew from there the other day and the terminal is better following the recent expansion though it does still have a bit of a problem with departures being a bit overcrowded. When Dart (the monorail connecting Luton Airport Parkway to the terminal) is open that'll improve it further. Despite the crowds, bag drop was instant as was getting through security and my flight was early departing so no complaints whatsoever.

Last edited:
Heathrow
Luton
Gatwick
Stansted
Aberdeen
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Paris
Marseille
Barcelona
Reus
Lanzerote
Tenerife
Ibiza
Majorca
Faro
Larnaca
Create
Corfu
Kos
Turin
Munich
Baden Baden
Basel
Geneva
Cologne
Hamburg
Dusseldorf
Hamburg
Berlin
Eindoven
Amsterdam
Reykjavik
Gothenberg
Budapest
Prague
Zagreb
Ljubljana
Bratislava
Krakow
Katowice

Johannesburg

New York
Los Angeles
Orlando
Chicago

Last edited:
If long lines are still a thing at JFK for international flights. The trick is to fly via Dublin, one of the few airports in Europe that offers pre flight customs clearance into the USA. Meaning it is a breeze the other side.

Manchester
Liverpool
Birmingham
East Midlands
London Luton
London Stansted
Orlando
New York JFK
Paris CDG
Eindhoven
Oslo
Gothenburg City
Gothenburg Landvetter
Stockholm Arlanda
Katowice
Krakow
Frankfurt
Stuttgart
Baden-Baden
Cologne
Basel
Barcelona
Tenerife North/South
Verona

54 airports for me. I track all my flights on Flightradar which gives some cool maps and stats. I've got a few missing flights on there so need to update it - https://my.flightradar24.com/dbayliss

UK
Edinburgh
Newcastle
Manchester
Birmingham
London Stansted
London Luton
London Heathrow
London Gatwick

Europe
Paris Charles de Gaulle
Amsterdam Schiphol
Krakow John Paul II
Dublin
Nuremberg
Stockholm Arlanda
Vienna
Venice Treviso
Oslo Gardermoen
Helsinki Vantaa
Rome Ciampino
Rome Fiumicino
Catania Fontarossa
Basel Mulhouse Euro
Kiev Boryspil
Stockholm Skavsta
Verona
Gothenburg Landvetter
Reus
Frankfurt
Dusseldorf
Madrid
Hamburg
Cologne Bonn
Weeze Niederrhein

USA
Newark Liberty
Los Angeles
Las Vegas McCarran
Texas Dallas Fort Worth
Philadelphia
Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson
Orlando
New York JFK
Cleveland Hopkins
San Francisco

Asia
Beijing Capital
Shanghai Hongqiao
Shanghai Pudong
Nanchang Changbei
Shenzhen Bao'an
Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok
Tokyo Narita
Tokyo
Osaka Kansai
Seoul Incheon
Dubai

I’ve been all over the place (a lot of theme parks but also lots of city breaks over the years) but I think this is all the airports I’ve been to, there could possibly be more tbh.

UK 🇬🇧
East Midlands
London Heathrow
London Gatwick
London Stansted
Manchester
Birmingham
London Luton

Elsewhere
Dublin Ireland 🇮🇪
Paris France 🇫🇷
Strasbourg France 🇫🇷
Madrid Spain 🇪🇸
Palma De Mallorca Spain 🇪🇸
Barcelona Spain 🇪🇸
Reykjavik Iceland 🇮🇸
Stuttgart Germany 🇩🇪
Baden Baden Germany 🇩🇪
Basel Switzerland 🇨🇭
Gothenburg Sweden 🇸🇪
Copenhagen Denmark 🇩🇰
Prague Czech Republic 🇨🇿
Amsterdam Holland 🇳🇱
Krakow Poland 🇵🇱
Brussels Belgium 🇧🇪
Dalaman Turkey 🇹🇷
Goa India 🇮🇳
Delhi India 🇮🇳

Even if you consider the M25 as London's northern city limit (which of course it isn't) then Luton is a good 25 miles away.
Wouldn't that also technically put Stansted outside of London as well? We were definitely going north of London to get there 2 weeks ago, and on Maps, it appeared closer to somewhere like Cambridge than London itself.

You can even reach Stansted without going on the M25 from my area; we didn't go this way, but Maps said that we could go to Birmingham and then drop down if we wanted to avoid London and didn't mind an extra half an hour of driving time!

Right, let's see...

UK 🇬🇧
London Heathrow (Turkish Airlines to & from Istanbul in October 2002, British Airways to & from Barcelona in October 2006)
London Gatwick (easyJet to & from Strasbourg in August 2015)
London Luton (Ryanair to & from Reus in April 2013, Wizz Air to & from Katowice in September 2018, easyJet to Edinburgh in October 2018, easyJet to & from Amsterdam in January 2019)
Bristol (easyJet to & from Alicante in July/August 2009)
Manchester (easyJet to & from Basel in December 2014/January 2015, Ryanair to & from Eindhoven in July 2015, Ryanair to Moss-Rygge in July 2016, Norwegian from Stockholm in July 2016, Ryanair to & from Stuttgart in October 2017)
Edinburgh (easyJet from Luton in October 2018, arrival only)

Europe
Strasbourg 🇫🇷
EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg 🇫🇷
Eindhoven 🇳🇱
Amsterdam Schiphol 🇳🇱
Istanbul Ataturk 🇹🇷
Moss-Rygge (arrival only) 🇳🇴
Stockholm Arlanda (departure only) 🇸🇪
Barcelona 🇪🇸
Alicante 🇪🇸
Reus 🇪🇸
Katowice 🇵🇱

I'm due to be adding Dublin 🇮🇪 to this list at the weekend. In terms of aircraft, it's largely been Airbus A320 or Boeing 737 family, with the only one that's not part of these being the Boeing 767-300ER I flew on when going to & from Barcelona in 2006. Only widebody I've done, and not the longest flight I've ever done, either!

Wouldn't that also technically put Stansted outside of London as well? We were definitely going north of London to get there 2 weeks ago, and on Maps, it appeared closer to somewhere like Cambridge than London itself.

You can even reach Stansted without going on the M25 from my area; we didn't go this way, but Maps said that we could go to Birmingham and then drop down if we wanted to avoid London and didn't mind an extra half an hour of driving time!

Yes it absolutely would. Stansted is in Essex.

My personal hope is that when HS2 opens we rename Manchester Airport to London Manchester Airport.

Then we can look at renaming City of Derry Airport into City of London Derry Airport

UK

East Midlands
Liverpool
Manchester
Birmingham
London Heathrow
London Gatwick
London Stansted
London Luton
Jersey

Europe

Paris CDG
Rennes
Strasbourg
Barcelona
Madrid
Reus
Palma de Mallorca
Sevilla
Baden Baden
Frankfurt
Cologne Bonn
Berlin - Schönefeld (I think it was this Berlin airport)
Copenhagen
Gothenburg
Lisbon
Porto
Corfu
Rhodes
Kefalonia
Verona
Basel

Rest of the World

New York JFK
New York Newark
Tampa
Orlando
San Francisco
Los Angeles (LAX)
Sydney
Bangkok
Singapore

Never thought about compiling a list of these, but here goes. There's apparently 31, which is more than I would've guessed 🤔
  • Manchester
  • Birmingham
  • Heathrow
  • Gatwick
  • Liverpool
  • Paris (Charles De Gaulle)
  • Lisbon
  • Malta International
  • Pafos
  • Rome (Fiumicino)
  • Bologna
  • Athens International
  • Barcelona (El Prat)
  • Basel
  • Hamburg
  • Cologne
  • Krakow
  • Vienna
  • Amsterdam (Schiphol)
  • Copenhagen
  • Oslo (Gardermoen)
  • Oslo (Moss-Rygge)
  • Oslo (Torp Sandefjord)
  • Stockholm (Arlanda)
  • Helsinki
  • Orlando International
  • Washington Dulles
  • Hollywood Burbank
  • Los Angeles (LAX)
  • San Francisco International
  • Toronto-Pearson
Hoping to add a lesser known Finnish airport to the list later this year (either Joensuu or Kuopio) which should be interesting.

Had to search and find this thread after being reminded of it in the motorway services thread started by [mention]Matt N [/mention]

These are the airports I’ve visited in order of when I used them:

London Gatwick
Malaga (ESP)
Charles De Gaul (FR)
Newcastle
Venice Marco Polo (IT)
Dublin
Amsterdam Schipol (NL)
Krakow (PL)
London Stansted
Gothenburg (SE)
Manchester
Brussels Charleroi (BE)
Billund (DK)
Liverpool
Gran Canaria (ESP)
Vienna (AT)
Ibiza (ESP)
Gdansk (PL)
Palma De Mallorca (ESP)
Copenhagen (DK)

As a kid growing up in South London in the 80’s it was always a treat when my aunt took me for a drive down to Gatwick to practice her motorway driving (when she had just passed her test) and let me look at the planes. We didn’t have any money to fly anywhere but it was nice to just see what an airport was like as it felt really glamourous back then.

I really like some of the smaller airports. Billund is nice, the interior has a lovely clean design in blonde wood and glass that makes it feel like a brand new IKEA store and everyone was drinking the cans of beer they were knocking out in departures. It’s also a pleasant short walk in to the town of Billund as well.

Gdansk is a nice little airport as well and you can very quickly get in to town from there via it’s train station, Copenhagen is great for that as well (and it’s also nice to travel in to Malmo from the airport via the massive Oresund bridge as well). However surely the best airport is Gothenburg as you can go direct from the airport entrance to the a fantastic amusement park’s entrance via a quick bus.

I don’t really have least favourite airports but the queue for immigration at Stansted can feel like a long slog if several planes have come in at the same time. And the landside part isn’t so great either.

Last edited:
London Gatwick
London Heathrow
London City
Stansted
Orlando International
Miami
Key West
Minneapolis
San Francisco
San Diego
Long Beach
Portland
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Paris Charles De Gaul
Gran Canaria
Tenerife
Barcelona
Berlin (Tegal I think)
Cologne
Antwerp

Not sure I have a favourite, although Gatwick is pretty good really, often quick to get out.

This list also shows how much of the US I've seen vs Europe!

Liverpool (old airport )
Isle Of Man
Manchester
Stansted (never left the airport)
Nuremberg
Liverpool John Lennon
Schipol (Amsterdam)
Zurich (never left the airport)
Heathrow
Newark
JFK
Berlin (think its Brandenburg now)
Boston
Baltimore
Cleveland
Toronto (Pearson)
Dulles (Never left the airport)
Munich
Stuttgart
Barcelona
Basle
Cologne-Bonn
Gatwick
Gothenburg
Madrid
Krakow

Since this I've added

Houston
Dallas Fort Worth
Chicago
Paris CDG

And forgot to include

Birmingham

Hi guys. Having recently returned from a foreign trip, I thought of following up the train station count thread with another count thread of public transport stations; airports! So, how many airports have you been to, and are there any that stand out for any particular reason within your count.

My current airport count is 5, and the airports I've visited as follows:
  • London Gatwick
  • Manchester
  • Orlando
  • Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden (Baden-Airpark)
  • London Stansted

London Gatwick is perfectly fine, from memory; a good departure lounge, fine security as far as airports go, and I had no real issues with it.

Ditto with Manchester, to be honest; both of the big UK airports I've done (Manchester and Gatwick) blend into one for me, really. Although it must be said that Manchester Airport did have a very snazzy new terminal with very posh new departure gates when I last flew from there!

I've always liked Orlando airport. I love the big arrival hall with the huge fountains, the immigration queue never seems unbearable in spite of Orlando often being a busy airport, and I've generally always had a good feeling in Orlando MCO, for some reason! Although the buzz of being in Orlando may admittedly help there...

Baden-Airpark is definitely a small airport, but it serves its purpose fine. Immigration queue wasn't overly long, it's easy to find your way around; what more can you ask for, really? Admittedly, the departure lounge isn't very big, and I found it interesting how we Brits had to go through passport check twice when leaving the country, as the "international gates" were separated from the EU gates by another checkpoint (although this may be a general German/EU policy rather than one exclusive to Baden-Airpark; I'm not 100% sure. Do other EU airports do this?), but this airport served its purpose well. On a side note, is Europa Park one of the few reasons people fly to Baden-Baden? I only ask because the bulk of the adverts in the airport were for Europa Park; hardly any for anything else.

London Stansted was a mixed bag. Going out was fine; with a short security queue and a good departure lounge, what more could you really ask for? Going back was different, and possibly one of the least pleasurable airport experiences I've had; the immigration queue was far, far longer than any I've ever seen before (and that includes Orlando, which is notoriously busy), and getting out of Stansted took 1.5-2 hours all in... has anyone else found Stansted to be like this, or did I just strike it at a busy time?

But how many airports have you been to?
Since I last did this, I’ve added one and also realised that I forgot two that I went to as a young child! (Added in bold, previously forgotten in italics)
  1. Bristol Airport (BRS, UK)
  2. Jersey Airport (JER, Jersey/Channel Islands)
  3. Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden Airport (FKB, Germany)
  4. London Gatwick Airport (LGW, UK)
  5. London Heathrow Airport (LHR, UK)
  6. London Stansted Airport (STN, UK)
  7. Manchester Airport (MAN, UK)
  8. Orlando International Airport (MCO, USA)

Last edited: