• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Ten Coasters

On the sole basis of the tiny airtime hill and the splashdown, shambhala is phenomenal but the rest of the layout is just good. The airtime there with a loose restraint on the back row is fantastic.

I'd love to ride Shambhala some day; it looks exactly like my type of ride!

Also, you posting your top 10 was my cue to start the "TowersStreet's Favourite Coasters of 2019" spreadsheet, so thank you very much for reminding me to do that! This year, I think I'm going to do it throughout the year instead of crammed into a couple of days at the end like I did this year!

I struggle to rank 10, I don’t know how you lot rank more than that I’ve got too many reverchon wild mouse coasters in my list...

I don’t really rank coasters at all to be honest. Couldn’t even put them in a top 10, but that’s more to do with the fact that I haven’t done so many. I think I’ve got about 27 creds, but I’m not the sort of person who goes out of their way to get any and every coaster cred like it’s the only important thing in life – ‘cause it really isn’t.

To be fair, I'm kind of indecisive, so I also struggle to rank coasters. But I did actually manage to rank everything I've ridden.

The problem is; even though I definitely enjoy some coasters more than I enjoy others, which is how I was able to make my top coasters list, I enjoy most coasters I ride to some extent!

I don’t really rank coasters at all to be honest. Couldn’t even put them in a top 10, but that’s more to do with the fact that I haven’t done so many. I think I’ve got about 27 creds, but I’m not the sort of person who goes out of their way to get any and every coaster cred like it’s the only important thing in life – ‘cause it really isn’t.
I can see why people count their coasters, it's nice to have something to look back on and compare.

I've never counted myself but I'd estimate somewhere around 200. However I personally don't see the point (Cedar point lol) in going out of your way to ride bad/average coasters just for the credit. I'm more quality over quantity with this hobby. Eg I'd rather revisit Phantasialand/Europa multiple times than an unvisited Belgian park to ride an SLC and crap woodie.

Right, I've now decided to find out what the most common coaster for each ranking is based on the data, so here are the most common rides for each ranking:
Most common #1: Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point (8 riders)
Most common #2: Maverick at Cedar Point (6 riders)
Most common #3: El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure (3 riders)
Most common #4: Wodan at Europa Park (3 riders)
Most common #5: Blue Fire at Europa Park (2 riders)
Most common #6: Wicker Man at Alton Towers (3 riders)
Most common #7: Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City (3 riders)
Most common #8: Nemesis at Alton Towers (3 riders)
Most common #9: Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach (5 riders)
Most common #10: Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach (2 riders)

I still don’t think Steel Vengance could be that good

Out of interest, why do you think this? Steel Vengeance is simply obscene.

Updated list, and yes I have ridden nemesis and Munich looping now but neither really impressed me. As you can probably see, I value smoothness, airtime and theming over intensity (high positive g forces). I apologise for doing 15 coasters instead of 10, and ibe now done 40 coasters (I know it's tiny) :)

1. Shambhala - PortAventura
2. Wicker Man - Alton Towers
3. Stealth - Thorpe Park
4. Th13teen - Alton Towers
5. Saw: the Ride - Thorpe Park
6. Furius Baco - PortAventura

7. Oblivion - Alton Towers
8. Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park
9. THE SWARM - Thorpe Park
10. Dragon's Fury - Chessington
11. Nemesis - Alton Towers
12. Munich Looping - Winter Wonderland
13. Red Force - Ferrari Land
14. Stampida (Blue side) - PortAventura
15. Mammut - Gardaland

Ahem! ;)

I don't find either one of them unbearably rough. I'm not denying they aren't smooth but at least they are forceful. They are much smoother than dragon Khan, stampida and wild Maus XXL. Also, those two coasters are well themed.

Updated list for 2019. New parks visited last year included Efteling, Tayto, Energylandia and Tivoli. But Lech Coaster was the only new entry into my top 10.

1. Taron, Phantasialand
2. Helix, Liseberg
3. Wodan, Europa Park
4. Shambhala, PortAventura
*5. Lech Coaster, Legendia
*6. Oz'Iris, Parc Asterix
7. Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa
8. Manta, SeaWorld Orlando
9. Expedition Everest, Disney's Animal Kingdom
10. Blue Fire, Europa Park

Last edited:
Right, after a wonderful trip to Florida, I think it's time I updated my top 10 (ish) list! As well as some new rides added, I also moved some things around a bit, so here goes. Firstly, have my updated top 30:
Matt N's Top 30 Coasters
(new in bold, moved in italics)

• Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    • Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
    • Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa)
    • SheiKra (Busch Gardens Tampa)
    • Nemesis (Alton Towers)
    • The Swarm (Thorpe Park)
    • Mine Blower (Fun Spot Kissimmee)
    • Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando)
    • Kumba (Busch Gardens Tampa)
    • Incredible Hulk (Universal's Islands of Adventure)
    • Wicker Man (Alton Towers)
    • The Smiler (Alton Towers)
    • Rock'n'Rollercoaster (Disney's Hollywood Studios)
    • Megafobia (Oakwood)
    • Stealth (Thorpe Park)
    • Nemesis Inferno (Thorpe Park)
    • Speed (Oakwood)
    • Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (Universal Studios Florida)
    • Oblivion (Alton Towers)
    • Space Mountain (Alpha) (Disney's Magic Kingdom)
    • Nickelodeon Streak (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
    • Revenge of the Mummy (Universal Studios Florida)
    • Cheetah Hunt (Busch Gardens Tampa)
    • Galactica (Alton Towers)
    • Manta (SeaWorld Orlando)
    • Big Dipper (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
    • Expedition Everest (Disney's Animal Kingdom)
    • Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts (Universal Studios Florida)
    • Thirteen (Alton Towers)
    • Slinky Dog Dash (Disney's Hollywood Studios)
Right, so now the top 30's done, have a little explanation for the top 10:
Matt N's Top 10 Coasters (with explanations):

• Mako (SeaWorld Orlando) - This was my first B&M hyper, and wow! It blew me away! Before I had the opportunity to ride, I had very high expectations of it, but I kept thinking to myself from watching POVs of different B&M hypers; "What do they [coaster enthusiasts] all like so much? It's just a load of hills in a row! Where are the inversions?" But after that first ride on Mako, on the 23rd August 2016, in second row, I was wowed! The airtime was immense, with the drop really pulling me over with an immense moment of airtime. The hills all had an immense amount of airtime too. The ending also provided some nice twisty fun. When I read reviews online after riding, I was thinking "Trim? What trim? I couldn't notice any trim!" And it was so, so smooth! One of the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden. As soon as Mako ended, I just knew it was the best thing I'd ever ridden. Is that what you guys felt like when you first stepped off of El Toro, Lightning Rod, Taron and other highly rated coasters? In conclusion: best thing ever for me. Out of 64 coasters, this is my favourite.
    • Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) - Icon is just stunning! There's quite a bit of decent airtime on the ride, in my opinion, and I also feel that the ride has excellent pacing and some surprisingly intense moments! It's blissfully smooth too, in my opinion! The launches, while not packing as much initial burst as a hydraulic launch, still boost the train with decent force, in my opinion; the second launch especially is simply amazing! You're already going at a decent speed, and then it just blasts you forward with another huge speed boost; I love it! Besides, the launches merely act as a method of propulsion on Icon; I personally feel that Icon is more focused on an overall package than one element of the coaster, and if you ask me, it is one stunning coaster experience! Blackpool and Mack should be very proud of what they've accomplished with Icon, in my opinion!
    • Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa) - It's just like Nemesis but longer. What's not to love?
    • SheiKra (Busch Gardens Tampa) - I was not expecting to like SheiKra as much as I did. It's such a great ride! It packs a punch, the drops are great, it's quite smooth for a 12 year old coaster and I just adore this ride! Fun fact for you guys: SheiKra is actually my Dad's number 1 coaster!
    • Nemesis (Alton Towers) - Brlliance. Sheer brilliance is what this ride is. John Wardley is a genius. Where do I even start with Nemesis' awesomeness? It's still one of the most forceful and intense roller coasters I've ever ridden. For the first few years I rode, I actually came off Nemesis with a sort of dizzy/light-headed feeling which strangely, no ride other than Montu in 2016 has given me. Also, I love that the ride builds up speed as it goes on and is still going at the same speed it started at when it hits the brake run. It's incredibly smooth for a 23 year old coaster, as well! It does have a very slight rattle to it on some rides, but this is more than acceptable at the ride's age. There are no kinks, jolts or roughness whatsoever in the trackwork itself. In fact, I actually reckon I may have had a Mako smooth ride in July 2017, with no rattle whatsoever. It just glided forcefully along the track! It was great!
    • The Swarm (Thorpe Park) - I love this attraction! It packs a punch, it's virtually Mako smooth, the seating position makes for an interesting ride experience, the theming is excellent and it's just a great ride. I don't really get all the hate for wing coasters, as Swarm is fantastic in my opinion. Although in a way, I am slightly worried that I've overrated the Swarm. I last rode in May 2015, so I may have to rejudge in 2018. A reride in May 2018 didn't change my opinion.
    • Mine Blower (Fun Spot Kissimmee) - Mine Blower is a fantastic wooden coaster! It's pacing is something to behold; it just keeps going and going! It also packs in quite a bit of airtime for a coaster of its size and while it isn't the smoothest of coasters, I wouldn't say it's overly rough, either!
    • Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando) - I was pleasantly surprised with Kraken! It was not as rough as I was expecting and I actually thought that it was pretty fast and packing a good force when I rode! It felt lovely and powerful, in my opinion, and reasonably smooth, too!
    • Kumba (Busch Gardens Tampa) - Yes; after giving it a little more thought, Kumba has made it into my top 10! The more I think about it, the more I remember Kumba being quite good! From the one ride I had on it, it was relatively smooth for a ride of its age, had some good g-forces and was generally a really good ride! The only reason it's below Kraken for me is because I didn't personally think it quite had that same level of pacing that Kraken did.
    • Incredible Hulk (Universal's Islands of Adventure) - Now, the thing with Hulk is that the first part of the layout is fantastic; that launch into the zero-g roll is a stunning combination, and the elements that follow are fantastically intense! However, the thing that prevents it from ranking higher for me is that it peeters out somewhat after the MCBR and it isn't really the smoothest of coasters. Still a fab ride, however!
So, that's my new list! As always, it could have been reshuffled again next time I post it as I am incredibly indecisive!

Having recently been to Parc Asterix, my top 10 now looks like this.

1. Helix - Liseberg
2. Wodan Timbur Coaster - Europa-Park
3. Oz'Iris - Parc Asterix
4. Nemesis - Alton Towers
5. Taron - Phantasialand
6. Oblivion - Alton Towers
7. Lost Gravity - Walibi Holland
8. Troy - Toverland
9. Goliath - Walibi Holland
10. Black Mamba - Phantasialand

Having recently been to Parc Asterix, my top 10 now looks like this.

1. Helix - Liseberg
2. Wodan Timbur Coaster - Europa-Park
3. Oz'Iris - Parc Asterix
4. Nemesis - Alton Towers
5. Taron - Phantasialand
6. Oblivion - Alton Towers
7. Lost Gravity - Walibi Holland
8. Troy - Toverland
9. Goliath - Walibi Holland
10. Black Mamba - Phantasialand

Oz'Iris over Nemesis? Slander I say!

Bit of a reshuffle!

1. The Big One
2. Wild Mouse*
3. Troy
4. Grand National
5. Megafobia
6. Taron
7. Big Dipper
8. The Ultimate
9. Joris en de Draak
10. Nemesis

*Yes, I am aware it's gone, but it's still a coaster I've ridden!

It'll be strangely sad when this stubborn list inevitably gets changed drastically in a few weeks.

Bit of a reshuffle!

1. The Big One
2. Wild Mouse*
3. Troy
4. Grand National
5. Megafobia
6. Taron
7. Big Dipper
8. The Ultimate
9. Joris en de Draak
10. Nemesis

*Yes, I am aware it's gone, but it's still a coaster I've ridden!

It'll be strangely sad when this stubborn list inevitably gets changed drastically in a few weeks.
Where are you headed, out of interest?

Interesting list. I'm definitely seeing a trend with regards to the type of rides you like! Quite different tastes to my own, but each to their own, I suppose!

It’s interesting that Balder doesn’t seem to make it into more people’s lists, especially since Helix seems to be a popular choice, so there must be a fair few people who’ve ridden and judged it.

I’m interested as to why this is. Whilst it’s a little formulaic, that perfectly engineered airtime is obscene and I would have thought been a little more popular.