• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Ten Coasters

Sorry for double posting, but I told you my opinions were fluid, because the list has changed again after having visited Alton Towers & Thorpe Park in very short succession of each other! I’ll try and keep this post short, and go over the main changes to the top 30 in as much of a succinct way as I possibly can (rides that have moved are italicised). For reference, my current coaster count is 74:

1. Mako - SeaWorld Orlando (10/10)
  2. Icon - Blackpool Pleasure Beach (10/10)
  3. Wicker Man - Alton Towers: I had what were quite possibly my favourite rides ever on this on my last Towers visit! The rough spot I complained about last time was gone, and I had my first ever back row ride, which was absolutely obscene! The pacing was ballistic, and the ejector airtime was some of the most berserk I’ve ever experienced; it felt like how I imagine Steel Vengeance to be, with the non-stop strong ejector flinging you over what feels like every hill! As much as I rave about the back, though, even my other 2 rides in row 4 were absolutely phenomenal; Wicker Man has definitely grown to be a firm favourite of mine! (10/10)
  4. The Swarm - Thorpe Park: As much as this has dropped below Wicker Man, let me tell you that that is no slight against Swarm by any means, as I had possibly some of my favourite ever rides on it on my most recent Thorpe visit! I got on the front row for the first time ever, and it was sublime; you really feel like you’re flying along at phenomenal speed in the front! The ride had all of its usual pros, like smoothness, just the right balance of thrill and rerideability (I love Swarm because it’s intense enough for you to get a kick out of riding, but it’s not too intense, if you get what I mean), and those amazing floaty inversions! The last in-line especially is just a phenomenal sensation that I wish could go on forever; I love those negative g’s you get through it! To top it all off, the restraints, while still not my favourite, were not as much of a niggle this time, meaning that the ride is now a 10/10 for me again! The only real reason the ride is below Icon & Wicker within my UK top 3 is because it doesn’t have as much in the way of airtime/negative g’s as the other two, and the restraints also aren’t quite as comfortable, but to be honest, all 3 are fairly close to each other, and a particularly good or somewhat underwhelming ride on any of them could tip the balance in a different direction. But to summarise; I really love Swarm, and it was riding phenomenally on my recent visit! (10/10)
  5. Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee (9/10)
  6. Oblivion - Alton Towers (9/10)
  7. Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa (9/10)
  8. SheiKra - Busch Gardens Tampa (9/10)
  9. Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park: Controversially, I’m actually on the team that prefers Inferno to Nemesis! As much as coasters with little to them aside from positive g’s aren’t my absolute favourite rides these days, I’ve got to say that Inferno was running excellently on my most recent Thorpe visit! I rode in row 4, and it was fairly smooth, intense without being too intense (if you get what I mean), and maintained a great sense of speed throughout, so it gets a firm thumbs up from me! (9/10)
  10. Kraken - SeaWorld Orlando (9/10)
  11. Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts - Universal Studios Florida (8/10)
  12. Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios Florida (8/10)
  13. Nemesis - Alton Towers: This dropped a tad because it didn’t seem to be running quite as well on my recent visit. I rode in row 7, and it was still fun, but it seemed slightly rougher than my previous ride, and it generally seemed less enjoyable to me than my April ride. To its credit, I think Nemesis is an engineering marvel, its layout and location are wonderfully unique, and if you’re into really intense rides, I think sections of it (most notably the helix) are notably more intense than any section of Nemesis Inferno, but for me, intensity isn’t everything, and I generally find Inferno to be smoother (as much as I’ll stop short of calling Nemesis rough, as I don’t think it is, it’s a somewhat fierce coaster, and showing its age a bit in places), to have a more consistent sense of speed throughout and to be generally a bit more enjoyable. Please don’t kill me, Nemesis fans! (8/10)
  14. Incredible Hulk - Universal’s Islands of Adventure (8/10)
  15. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa (8/10)
  16. Galactica - Alton Towers (8/10)
  17. Rock’n’Rollercoaster - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (7/10)
  18. Rita - Alton Towers (7/10)
  19. Stealth - Thorpe Park: This one dropped quite a bit, unfortunately. It’s a difficult one to rank, as my front row ride last year was obscenely amazing, but my row 6 ride recently, while fun, just didn’t seem to hit quite like my last ride did. The launch didn’t feel quite as forceful, the airtime didn’t seem quite as strong (although middle of the train could be to blame for that, in fairness), and the ride, while I wouldn’t call it rough, seemed bumpier than my last ride on Stealth, which did detract slightly for me. Still, Stealth is a fun coaster that always provides a rush; those hydraulic launches always provide a raw thrill unlike anything else, and the airtime over the top hat is still really good! (7/10)
  20. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Universal Studios Florida (7/10)
  21. Cheetah Hunt - Busch Gardens Tampa (7/10)
  22. Megafobia - Oakwood (7/10)
  23. Slinky Dog Dash - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (7/10)
  24. Avalanche - Blackpool Pleasure Beach (7/10)
  25. Expedition Everest - Disney’s Animal Kingdom (6/10)
  26. Runaway Mine Train - Alton Towers: I can sense some judgement coming about the fact that a Mack powered coaster is in my top 30 and only a hair away from my top 25, so I apologise for this being so high, but I’m ashamed to admit that RMT is perhaps the textbook definition of a guilty pleasure coaster for me! Even though I was sat towards the front of the train (in row 7) on my most recent ride, it still felt fast and was still a really fun ride! It has some great helixes and turns, feels fast and fun throughout and although it might not be the most thrilling, earth-shattering ride around, it never fails to bring a smile to my face, and surely that’s what this hobby is all about? The aforementioned smile on my face after riding almost makes me tempted to push it up even higher, but I’m not sure I can quite justify ranking it above something like Everest, so I’m afraid #26 is probably the highest I can get away with… (6/10)
  27. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Disney’s Magic Kingdom (6/10)
  28. Thirteen - Alton Towers: Oddly, this dropped a fair bit in spite of the fact I haven’t actually ridden it since I last posted in here; am I weird, or can riding one ride affect your ranking of another without you needing to even ride it? The ride I’m referring to here is Runaway Mine Train, which jumped a bit; when I rode that on my most recent Towers visit, I thought it was ranked too lowly given my actual opinion of it, and I thought to myself “I actually think I enjoyed that ride on RMT more than my last ride on Thirteen” in spite of the fact that Thirteen was a good couple of spots and a whole point above. So when looking at the rides around it, I unfortunately felt it was reasonable to drop Thirteen from a 7 to a 6 given my recent rides on it and the fact that I found RMT more enjoyable. Don’t get me wrong, though, I do like Thirteen; it’s smooth, with some nice twists, turns and pops of floater in the outdoor section, and the indoor section is fun! However, the reason for it dropping is that it’s felt a bit more sluggish on my recent visits, and like it’s had less of that fun floater than previously; on my most recent ride in April 2021 in particular, even the backwards section which is usually surprisingly vigorous felt like it could have used a little extra oomph. That could well be social distancing affecting things, however; I’ll see what it’s like once I can get onto it with a full train again! (6/10)
  29. Space Mountain Alpha - Disney’s Magic Kingdom (6/10)
  30. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Disney’s Magic Kingdom (6/10)
So, that’s my (current) top 30! When I visit Legoland and Paultons at the end of this month, it’ll probably change again; as much as I’m not expecting any new top 10 entries or anything from either of these, I’m hoping that some of the higher-level stuff at Paultons might possibly make the lower end of my top 30 given that some of the rides at the lower end of the list are less than intense thrill machines.

Sorry for double posting, but I told you my opinions were fluid, because the list has changed again after having visited Alton Towers & Thorpe Park in very short succession of each other! I’ll try and keep this post short, and go over the main changes to the top 30 in as much of a succinct way as I possibly can (rides that have moved are italicised). For reference, my current coaster count is 74:

3. Wicker Man - Alton Towers: I had what were quite possibly my favourite rides ever on this on my last Towers visit! The rough spot I complained about last time was gone, and I had my first ever back row ride, which was absolutely obscene! The pacing was ballistic, and the ejector airtime was some of the most berserk I’ve ever experienced; it felt like how I imagine Steel Vengeance to be, with the non-stop strong ejector flinging you over what feels like every hill! As much as I rave about the back, though, even my other 2 rides in row 4 were absolutely phenomenal; Wicker Man has definitely grown to be a firm favourite of mine! (10/10)
  4. The Swarm - Thorpe Park: As much as this has dropped below Wicker Man, let me tell you that that is no slight against Swarm by any means, as I had possibly some of my favourite ever rides on it on my most recent Thorpe visit! I got on the front row for the first time ever, and it was sublime; you really feel like you’re flying along at phenomenal speed in the front! The ride had all of its usual pros, like smoothness, just the right balance of thrill and rerideability (I love Swarm because it’s intense enough for you to get a kick out of riding, but it’s not too intense, if you get what I mean), and those amazing floaty inversions! The last in-line especially is just a phenomenal sensation that I wish could go on forever; I love those negative g’s you get through it! To top it all off, the restraints, while still not my favourite, were not as much of a niggle this time, meaning that the ride is now a 10/10 for me again! The only real reason the ride is below Icon & Wicker within my UK top 3 is because it doesn’t have as much in the way of airtime/negative g’s as the other two, and the restraints also aren’t quite as comfortable, but to be honest, all 3 are fairly close to each other, and a particularly good or somewhat underwhelming ride on any of them could tip the balance in a different direction. But to summarise; I really love Swarm, and it was riding phenomenally on my recent visit! (10/10)
  9. Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park: Controversially, I’m actually on the team that prefers Inferno to Nemesis! As much as coasters with little to them aside from positive g’s aren’t my absolute favourite rides these days, I’ve got to say that Inferno was running excellently on my most recent Thorpe visit! I rode in row 4, and it was fairly smooth, intense without being too intense (if you get what I mean), and maintained a great sense of speed throughout, so it gets a firm thumbs up from me! (9/10)
  11. Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts - Universal Studios Florida (8/10)
  13. Nemesis - Alton Towers: This dropped a tad because it didn’t seem to be running quite as well on my recent visit. I rode in row 7, and it was still fun, but it seemed slightly rougher than my previous ride, and it generally seemed less enjoyable to me than my April ride. To its credit, I think Nemesis is an engineering marvel, its layout and location are wonderfully unique, and if you’re into really intense rides, I think sections of it (most notably the helix) are notably more intense than any section of Nemesis Inferno, but for me, intensity isn’t everything, and I generally find Inferno to be smoother (as much as I’ll stop short of calling Nemesis rough, as I don’t think it is, it’s a somewhat fierce coaster, and showing its age a bit in places), to have a more consistent sense of speed throughout and to be generally a bit more enjoyable. Please don’t kill me, Nemesis fans! (8/10)
  19. Stealth - Thorpe Park: This one dropped quite a bit, unfortunately. It’s a difficult one to rank, as my front row ride last year was obscenely amazing, but my row 6 ride recently, while fun, just didn’t seem to hit quite like my last ride did. The launch didn’t feel quite as forceful, the airtime didn’t seem quite as strong (although middle of the train could be to blame for that, in fairness), and the ride, while I wouldn’t call it rough, seemed bumpier than my last ride on Stealth, which did detract slightly for me. Still, Stealth is a fun coaster that always provides a rush; those hydraulic launches always provide a raw thrill unlike anything else, and the airtime over the top hat is still really good! (7/10)
  20. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Universal Studios Florida (7/10)
  21. Cheetah Hunt - Busch Gardens Tampa (7/10)
  22. Megafobia - Oakwood (7/10)
  23. Slinky Dog Dash - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (7/10)
  24. Avalanche - Blackpool Pleasure Beach (7/10)
  25. Expedition Everest - Disney’s Animal Kingdom (6/10)
  26. Runaway Mine Train - Alton Towers: I can sense some judgement coming about the fact that a Mack powered coaster is in my top 30 and only a hair away from my top 25, so I apologise for this being so high, but I’m ashamed to admit that RMT is perhaps the textbook definition of a guilty pleasure coaster for me! Even though I was sat towards the front of the train (in row 7) on my most recent ride, it still felt fast and was still a really fun ride! It has some great helixes and turns, feels fast and fun throughout and although it might not be the most thrilling, earth-shattering ride around, it never fails to bring a smile to my face, and surely that’s what this hobby is all about? The aforementioned smile on my face after riding almost makes me tempted to push it up even higher, but I’m not sure I can quite justify ranking it above something like Everest, so I’m afraid #26 is probably the highest I can get away with… (6/10)
  27. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Disney’s Magic Kingdom (6/10)
  28. Thirteen - Alton Towers: Oddly, this dropped a fair bit in spite of the fact I haven’t actually ridden it since I last posted in here; am I weird, or can riding one ride affect your ranking of another without you needing to even ride it? The ride I’m referring to here is Runaway Mine Train, which jumped a bit; when I rode that on my most recent Towers visit, I thought it was ranked too lowly given my actual opinion of it, and I thought to myself “I actually think I enjoyed that ride on RMT more than my last ride on Thirteen” in spite of the fact that Thirteen was a good couple of spots and a whole point above. So when looking at the rides around it, I unfortunately felt it was reasonable to drop Thirteen from a 7 to a 6 given my recent rides on it and the fact that I found RMT more enjoyable. Don’t get me wrong, though, I do like Thirteen; it’s smooth, with some nice twists, turns and pops of floater in the outdoor section, and the indoor section is fun! However, the reason for it dropping is that it’s felt a bit more sluggish on my recent visits, and like it’s had less of that fun floater than previously; on my most recent ride in April 2021 in particular, even the backwards section which is usually surprisingly vigorous felt like it could have used a little extra oomph. That could well be social distancing affecting things, however; I’ll see what it’s like once I can get onto it with a full train again! (6/10)
So, that’s my (current) top 30! When I visit Legoland and Paultons at the end of this month, it’ll probably change again; as much as I’m not expecting any new top 10 entries or anything from either of these, I’m hoping that some of the higher-level stuff at Paultons might possibly make the lower end of my top 30 given that some of the rides at the lower end of the list are less than intense thrill machines.
Very interesting list @Matt N . I can never make a top ten, I'm just to indecisive. But you do seem to have made a mistake by putting nemesis inferno above nemesis. haha :)

Very interesting list @Matt N . I can never make a top ten, I'm just to indecisive. But you do seem to have made a mistake by putting nemesis inferno above nemesis. haha :)
Fair enough! I’m pretty indecisive too, but because of that, I just find the order of my list slides around a lot! I often find it difficult to place things too, but what I think to myself is; “how much did I enjoy my last experience on [x coaster] compared to others I’ve done?”, and then it becomes a little bit easier. I know something that many people do is split their coaster count into tiers of enjoyment without actually “ranking” their coasters per se (for instance, A Tier, B Tier etc.), which is probably a good place to start if you’re unsure!

If you don’t like ranking coasters, though, that’s entirely up to you!

As for Inferno > Nemesis; I felt like that one would be controversial, so I apologise, but in spite of Nemesis packing greater intensity in places, intensity isn’t everything for me, and I just found Inferno smoother, faster throughout and generally that little bit more enjoyable, personally. Having ridden the two within less than 2 weeks of one another, I’m afraid I did come to the conclusion that while I still really like and admire Nemesis, I do prefer Inferno by a little bit for the aforementioned reasons.

That comparison is actually quite an interesting one, because I often find that when I’ve just ridden one of them, I often have a tendency to place it higher, and I forget how much I actually like the other! I do have to say, though, I do remember enjoying my recent experience on Inferno a little bit more than my recent experience on Nemesis.

; I felt like that one would be controversial, so I apologise
there is no need to apologise it is just opinion. I was just joking.

As for ranking: I tend too do tiers like you suggest the go something like this:
Amazing tier: things like nemesis
pretty good: things like wicker man
good: things like oblivion
okay: things like galactica
not good (awful towards the bottom): Things like Rita

I have some minor top 30 updates after my visit to Paultons Park (new in bold, moved in italics):

3. Wicker Man - Alton Towers (10/10)
  4. The Swarm - Thorpe Park (10/10)
  9. Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park (9/10)
  13. Nemesis - Alton Towers (8/10)
  19. Stealth - Thorpe Park (7/10)
  20. Storm Chaser - Paultons Park: This really surprised me! I wasn’t sure if I’d be huge on it, seeing as I’m not a huge lover of spinny rides, on the whole, but it was great fun! The level of spinning was very tolerable, and the ride was smooth & comfortable, yet well-paced and surprisingly vigorous in places! To be honest, even the bits that look fairly slow on POVs feel quite fast! Easily my favourite spinning coaster, and a great addition to Paultons and the UK industry, in my opinion! (7/10)
  21. Megafobia - Oakwood (7/10)
  22. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Universal Studios Florida (7/10)
  23. Cheetah Hunt - Busch Gardens Tampa (7/10)
  24. Slinky Dog Dash - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (7/10)
  25. Flight of the Pterosaur - Paultons Park: This possibly surprised me even more than Storm Chaser did! I never thought this looked overly interesting in POVs, but it actually rides very well! It’s paced well, and is blissfully smooth, yet surprisingly forceful in places; very fun family coaster! (7/10)
  26. Avalanche - Blackpool Pleasure Beach (7/10)
  27. Runaway Mine Train - Alton Towers (7/10)
  28. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Disney’s Magic Kingdom (7/10)
  29. Thirteen - Alton Towers (6/10)
  30. Expedition Everest - Disney’s Animal Kingdom (6/10)
My coaster count now sits at 79, and in terms of the other Paultons coasters I rode; Velociraptor is at #31 (quite a fun, smooth little ride, and I felt it rode better than Accelerator at Drayton Manor, but not quite up there with the top 2 for me, and the backwards section wasn’t my favourite), Cobra is at #32 (would have easily been in the top 30 had it not been for the section of wild mouse-style laterals, which I’m not a huge fan of) and Cat-O-Pillar is at #58 (didn’t seem as fun as Treetops at Oakwood, and rode rougher).

Well I guess it's time for the yearly closed season bump of this topic.

1. Zadra - Energylandia. A ride that just gets better and better, From the moment you leave the station to the moment you come flying into the brakes at the end it's just awesome.

2. Nemesis - Alton Towers. Simply world class, nothing more needs saying .

3. Wodan - Europa Park. How does wodan introduce itself? Why by trying to throw you out of the train before you even get to the lift. Absolute classic.

4. Lech - Legendia. An awesome coaster in a not so awesome park. Such a superb view from the ride too.

5. Wild Mouse - BPB. Was a superb and magnificent coaster. Much missed.

6. Hyperion - Energylandia. Lovely floaty airtime and some great spots. Shame that it was slightly pogoing on the back row

7. Tonnerre De Zeus - Parc Asterix. Another fantastic wooden coaster that was absolutely flying when I rode it.

8. Oz'Iris - Parc Asterix. A very fun B&M Invert

9. Hyperspace mountain - Disneyland Paris. A fantastic layout and a fantastic indoor coaster. The inclined launch is fantastic

10. Olympia Looping - Travelling. When it's running 7 car trains it's one of the best coasters I've ridden and the fact it travels is truly insane

Last edited:
Annual update having returned to Poland and visited all of the major parks in Spain this year.

Zadra new entry.
Lech shifted up from 6th, Shambhala down from 4th.

1. Taron, Phantasialand
*2. Zadra, Energylandia
3. Helix, Liseberg
4. Lech Coaster, Legendia
5. Wodan, Europa Park
6. Shambhala, PortAventura
7. Oz'Iris, Parc Asterix
8. Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa
9. Manta, SeaWorld Orlando
10. Expedition Everest, Disney's Animal Kingdom

1. Nemesis, Alton Towers
2. Zadra, Energylandia
3. Wodan, Europa Park
4. Lech, Legendia
5. Troy, Toverland
6. Wild Mouse, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
7. Olympia Looping, R.Barth (Travelling)
8. Hyperion, Energylandia
9. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
10. Euro-Mir, Europa Park

Now sit at 205 coasters, up 100 on last year.

1. Smiler
2. Nemesis
3. Icon
4. Wicker man
5. Stealth
6. Swarm
7. Inferno
8. Oblivion
9. Saw
10. Th13teen
Basically my top 10 uk coasters as I haven't visited parks abroad

Might as well bump this with an altered Top 10

NemesisAlton Towers
ZadraEnergylandia
Batman: Arkham AsylumParque Warner Madrid
WodanEuropa Park
LechLegendia
TroyToverland
Stunt FallParque Warner Madrid
Expedition GeForceHoliday Park
Wild MouseBlackpool Pleasure Beach
Olympia LoopingR. Barth

1. The Smiler
2. Montu
3. Mako
4. Oblivion
5. Wicker Man
6. Sheikra
7. Nemesis
8. Manta
9. Kraken
10. Expedition Everest

1. Zadra
2. Nemesis
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
4. Wodan
5. Lech
6. Wild Mouse
7. Stunt Fall
8. Hyperion
9. Oz'Iris
10. Tonnerre de Zeus

My current top 30, prior to having visited any theme parks in 2022, is:
  4. Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee (9/10)
  5. Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa (9/10)
  6. SheiKra - Busch Gardens Tampa (9/10)
  7. Oblivion - Alton Towers (9/10)
  8. Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park (9/10)
  9. Nemesis - Alton Towers (9/10)
  10. The Swarm - Thorpe Park (9/10)
  11. Kraken - SeaWorld Orlando (8/10)
  12. Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts - Universal Studios Florida (8/10)
  13. Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios Florida (8/10)
  14. Rita - Alton Towers (8/10)
  15. Incredible Hulk - Universal’s Islands of Adventure (8/10)
  16. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa (8/10)
  17. Cheetah Hunt - Busch Gardens Tampa (8/10)
  18. Thirteen - Alton Towers (8/10)
  19. Rock’n’Rollercoaster - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (7/10)
  20. Slinky Dog Dash - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (7/10)
  22. Avalanche - Blackpool Pleasure Beach (7/10)
  23. Storm Chaser - Paultons Park (7/10)
  24. Flight of the Pterosaur - Paultons Park (7/10)
  25. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Disney’s Magic Kingdom (7/10)
  26. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Universal Studios Florida (7/10)
  27. Cobra - Paultons Park (6/10)
  28. Runaway Mine Train - Alton Towers (6/10)
My first day in Europa Park is in 9 days’ time… I’m just putting this here now in case there are any changes to my top 30 after I’ve visited EP. I’m cautiously optimistic that Europa will add some new blood into this list, but I’m trying to manage my expectations somewhat, as people have been keen to stress to me that Europa allegedly has quite a weak coaster selection. And of course, “don’t count your chickens before they hatch” and all that also comes into play here as well.

For clarity, my coaster count currently sits at 79.

My current top 30, prior to having visited any theme parks in 2022, is:
  4. Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee (9/10)
  5. Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa (9/10)
  6. SheiKra - Busch Gardens Tampa (9/10)
  7. Oblivion - Alton Towers (9/10)
  8. Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park (9/10)
  9. Nemesis - Alton Towers (9/10)
  10. The Swarm - Thorpe Park (9/10)
  11. Kraken - SeaWorld Orlando (8/10)
  12. Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts - Universal Studios Florida (8/10)
  13. Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios Florida (8/10)
  14. Rita - Alton Towers (8/10)
  15. Incredible Hulk - Universal’s Islands of Adventure (8/10)
  16. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa (8/10)
  17. Cheetah Hunt - Busch Gardens Tampa (8/10)
  18. Thirteen - Alton Towers (8/10)
  19. Rock’n’Rollercoaster - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (7/10)
  20. Slinky Dog Dash - Disney’s Hollywood Studios (7/10)
  22. Avalanche - Blackpool Pleasure Beach (7/10)
  23. Storm Chaser - Paultons Park (7/10)
  24. Flight of the Pterosaur - Paultons Park (7/10)
  25. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Disney’s Magic Kingdom (7/10)
  26. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Universal Studios Florida (7/10)
  27. Cobra - Paultons Park (6/10)
  28. Runaway Mine Train - Alton Towers (6/10)
My first day in Europa Park is in 9 days’ time… I’m just putting this here now in case there are any changes to my top 30 after I’ve visited EP. I’m cautiously optimistic that Europa will add some new blood into this list, but I’m trying to manage my expectations somewhat, as people have been keen to stress to me that Europa allegedly has quite a weak coaster selection. And of course, “don’t count your chickens before they hatch” and all that also comes into play here as well.

For clarity, my coaster count currently sits at 79.

If Icon is in your top 3 then blue fire should knock your socks off as that is actually a ride with some level of intensity and excitement 😂

If Icon is in your top 3 then blue fire should knock your socks off as that is actually a ride with some level of intensity and excitement 😂
I am excited for Blue Fire! I’m excited for all of Europa’s big 3, to be honest, as their big 3 (Silver Star, Blue Fire, Wodan) aligns perfectly with my present top 3 in terms of ride types (Mako, Icon, Wicker Man), so I’m cautiously optimistic about those 3 rides in particular at Europa!

However, it must be said that I don’t necessarily seek massive intensity in a ride; I look more at overall fun factor and rerideability, and I think my top coasters reflect that to a certain extent. My very top rides strike the perfect balance between thrill/intensity and fun factor/rerideability, in my opinion; don’t get me wrong, a top Matt N ride does have to be at least a certain level of intensity/thrill about it, and I do have to get a kick out of riding it, but I don’t necessarily need something to be phenomenally intense for me to really enjoy it; in fact, I actually find that too much intensity can often detract from a ride for me. I prefer things that strongly emphasise rerideability and pure fun, and I think Icon does that phenomenally!

I know that I like Icon a fair amount more than most, but I really do love it! I’ve often found that some form of good airtime or floaty sensation is an essential element for me to really love a ride and put it in that 10/10 tier, considerably more so than positives, and I think Icon has a considerable amount of fairly strong airtime moments, and it’s just so smooth and rerideable! And I must say, I find it fairly fast as well, in spite of all the reviews calling it sluggish; yes, it’s perhaps not the most blisteringly fast-paced coaster on earth, but I find it adequately fast, personally.

I am excited for Blue Fire! I’m excited for all of Europa’s big 3, to be honest, as their big 3 (Silver Star, Blue Fire, Wodan) aligns perfectly with my present top 3 in terms of ride types (Mako, Icon, Wicker Man), so I’m cautiously optimistic about those 3 rides in particular at Europa!

However, it must be said that I don’t necessarily seek massive intensity in a ride; I look more at overall fun factor and rerideability, and I think my top coasters reflect that to a certain extent. My very top rides strike the perfect balance between thrill/intensity and fun factor/rerideability, in my opinion; don’t get me wrong, a top Matt N ride does have to be at least a certain level of intensity/thrill about it, and I do have to get a kick out of riding it, but I don’t necessarily need something to be phenomenally intense for me to really enjoy it; in fact, I actually find that too much intensity can often detract from a ride for me. I prefer things that strongly emphasise rerideability and pure fun, and I think Icon does that phenomenally!

I know that I like Icon a fair amount more than most, but I really do love it! I’ve often found that some form of good airtime or floaty sensation is an essential element for me to really love a ride and put it in that 10/10 tier, considerably more so than positives, and I think Icon has a considerable amount of fairly strong airtime moments, and it’s just so smooth and rerideable! And I must say, I find it fairly fast as well, in spite of all the reviews calling it sluggish; yes, it’s perhaps not the most blisteringly fast-paced coaster on earth, but I find it adequately fast, personally.

I totally agree with you on this, my top 10 is partially based on how much fun I have riding each coaster and I’ve got Icon in my top 3 as well. It’s a ride that I’m always grinning from ear to ear every time I come off of it. The fact that it isn’t the most forceful doesn’t bother me because not every coaster needs to be a forceful one, there’s a place for ones like Icon that are just good fun rides that you could easily session. It’s got a very decent length, interacts really nicely with the many rides around it, and gives a great ride.

I suppose blue fire might've had a level of intensity if it didn't lose all its speed immediately after the launch.

Great inversion at the very end though.

I totally agree with you on this, my top 10 is partially based on how much fun I have riding each coaster and I’ve got Icon in my top 3 as well. It’s a ride that I’m always grinning from ear to ear every time I come off of it. The fact that it isn’t the most forceful doesn’t bother me because not every coaster needs to be a forceful one, there’s a place for ones like Icon that are just good fun rides that you could easily session. It’s got a very decent length, interacts really nicely with the many rides around it, and gives a great ride.
To be honest, I can’t disagree with any of this!

I won’t deny that Icon is not an overly intense coaster in terms of positive g-forces, which absolutely won’t be for everyone, but I think it’s thrilling enough, myself. It provides awesome airtime, some really good fun twists and turns, phenomenally comfortable restraints, a wonderfully smooth ride experience, and on the whole, I just love it to bits and think it provides a wonderfully smooth ride experience!

If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your top coaster (if it’s not Icon, that is)?