• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

1 Year.

Scott

Former TS Team Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
I'm not usually one for gushing and self-indulgent posts, particularly not when there are much more long-standing members of this community than me... However, I thought that this topic could work two-fold, so bare with me.

It was this time a year ago that I signed up to TTF, fresh from visiting Towers for the second time in my life... I was no stranger to forums, but hadn't found one to call 'home' in a while so joined up to the site. Having just returned from Towers I was full of magic and wanted to find a place on the internet where I could read more and more and more about this place that I loved... Within days I felt at home and could chat in depth about a topic I'd always loved but never found anyone to share with: theme parks and coasters. The early days were a learning curve of sorts, but I was fascinated with how much some of you knew about coasters, and spent ages reading topics and posts to learn about all the weird bits of being a coaster enthusiast (like bloody Oprhan Rocker!).

It didn't take long for me to find the button that said 'Chat' and boy was I glad that I did... It connected me with so many of you lovely people who accepted me into your community and have given me some great laughs in the evenings for the last 12 months! I've not yet been on a meet, but I hope to come to one soon and I like to count a lot of you as friends (at least in the online sense) and people that I would trust - and have had deep conversations - with telling a lot of things! I've never felt this close to a community before, so its a really nice thing and I genuinely can't wait to meet you all sometime in the future :) - I really hope it won't be too long until I show my face anyway, and if I do I'll be the lanky git with glasses bricking it in the corner xD

Basically, thanks - because I've had a fantastic year being a member of this community. Because it's the people that are on this site right now which have given me such a fantastic time :)

But it wouldn't be fair to just make a topic gushing about how much I've enjoyed my first year on the site, so I thought that we could all look back over the last year in all our lives and see what has changed... In mine, I've gained a University Degree (which I am immensely proud of), I've gone from strength to strength with my long-term girlfriend and I've begun the next stage in my life (which is scary, but similarly exciting).

If you think about it, who is in the exact position now that they thought they would be in a year ago? What's changed for you? Have things changed for the better or for the worse?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a year seems like a long time, but in reality it flies by - so what are you going to do with your next 365 days? Thanks TST, and I hope this will be the first of many :)

If you think about it, who is in the exact position now that they thought they would be in a year ago?

Well it was my birthday last year and it is my birthday this year :D

It was one year and 6 days since I joined this community. And I've loved every moment of it. :)

Thank you guys. :)

In the next year I should of completed a load of GCSE's. Yay! ::)

Well....if you insist MrBrightside .... ;)

A year ago....feels like a long time! The strange and slightly scary thing is that in my life it has been - it has changed beyond recognition, some things in a good way and others in a bad way.

Specifically, the TST part of my life has skyrocket forward since coming on my first real meet (we'll ignore the disastrous Feb H/T of 2010 :p ) last May (OK, 14 months, so artistic licence is required here :D ) - as a community, you guys are wonderful, both online and in real life. To be quite honest, meets have made my confidence levels increase hugely - especially after my first (official) international meet in April - and I've made so many friends here (again, both in real life and those who - as yet - I've only really spoken to online) which I don't feel like I'll lose in a very long time (if ever!) - combine this with my somewhat deteriorating real life social situation since leaving uni, and it fills me with hope to be quite honest :)

Like Scott implied, a forum is only as good as the people who frequent it - which is what makes this place my 'home' on the internet, both in a figurative and literal sense :p (People must think Im mad when they see Chrome load this site when I open the browser :D ).....and seriously with the people I know on here, I wouldnt have it any other way.....moving with the community I love last month was a no-brainer :)

Here's to the next year, or 10 or 20 ;)

You lot have given me two things that I never thought I'd have.

- Friends (the first proper friends I've ever had in my life)
- Soulmate (who I met on my first proper meet)

A year ago I had these things, but now I'm much more confident in them being around for a long time to come. Couldn't really ask for more (especially from an online community) if I'm honest!

BEAR hugs!

I've had a year of not many accomplishments.

But I have gained a lot in the previous year, hopefully what I have gained will lead to those accomplishments being accomplished next year! And its all thanks to this amazing community.

:)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I honestly can't thank this community enough for what they've done for me over the past year. I only properly started posting on TTF just over a year ago, and it was going into Chat whilst Eurovision was on that eventually helped to persuade me to attend my first meet - Fireworks - and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then there was TT@10, which was also quite good. There's also the small matter of me visiting a small German theme park in Rust in four weeks, which I'm really looking forward to. As with Bear, I feel like I've made some proper friends over the past 12 months, which, seeing as I move around the country quite a bit (and I'm moving again next summer, although I have no idea where I'm going yet), is really important. Yeah, you might all live many miles away, but I'm not too bothered about that. It makes the times I do get to see you even more special. :)

An awful lot can happen in one year. A lot has happened to me, more than I old have thought. I even wrote a blog about it! http://ashleek9.wordpress.com/2012/07/0 ... ear-later/ (not in any way selflessly promoting at all)

Seriously though, it is really weird how much can change in one year, or even how little. In the past I had an uneventful life, and wasn't used to much changing except maybe new games or films being released. The biggest changes can happen in an instant, and usually aren't for the better. But life's weird.

Still, I can't help but wonder how my life will be different this time next year. I know it will be.

Wow, well in the last year, i started 6th form, met a lot of new friends, joined this forum, Second best theme park forum on the net IMO, and am now looking forwards to uni, after the stress of my GCSE's in which i had a lot of problems, this is making me feel good now.

This is amazing to think about a year ago I didn't think there was so many people who felt so strong about theme parks so here's to a another fantastic year with a great forum (it will soon fly until the 10th birthday meet) thank you to everyone on the forum :)

hobohippie95 said:
Wow, well in the last year, i started 6th form, met a lot of new friends, joined this forum, Second best theme park forum on the net IMO, and am now looking forwards to uni, after the stress of my GCSE's in which i had a lot of problems, this is making me feel good now.

Second best?! ;)

But seriously a year ago I'd never even posted on here or TTF and so had never discovered any of the brilliant people on here who surprisingly share the same interests and like the same theme parks as me! I've never been on a meet yet but should all go well I will make my debut at Scarefest next month - and finally I'll be able to put more than one name to a face :)

last year i had never been to alton towers. after an injury meaning i was trapped indoors all summer i turned to googling alton towers and falling head over heels in love with it. that summer all i cared about was getting my cast removed and going to the towers. i then joined TTF and TST and now i know so many geeky trivia about it i am proud to call myself an enthusiast. my life has changed for the better now i have a hobby and the highlights of my year are my few golden visits to the towers. so no, i never dreamed i would be in this position ever.

The Psychoaster said:
hobohippie95 said:

Second best?! ;)

But seriously a year ago I'd never even posted on here or TTF and so had never discovered any of the brilliant people on here who surprisingly share the same interests and like the same theme parks as me! I've never been on a meet yet but should all go well I will make my debut at Scarefest next month - and finally I'll be able to put more than one name to a face :)

http://www.unofficialpleasurewood.co.uk/board.htm
^That has to be the best one i'm afraid, i've met more people from there and i have a 100% attendance to there meets (although there has only been one...) and the owner and admin wouldn't like me showing biased away from them