• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

$12m Gerstlauer for Adventure World, Perth

Sammy

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Untamed - Walibi Holland
So, here's one that has so far slipped under the radar! A brand new eurofighter for Adventure World in Perth, Australia! The ride is currently under construction, and is due to open in November of this year!

This article, has just been posted by Gerst on their Facebook page and gives some info about the ride!

However, what's really got me interested are these pictures over on RCDB!

nhmll09jd9ctphq500020i.jpg

bv1a78k000o2imk16dl5jn.jpg

Well, would you look at that, it's got a clone of our very own Saw's indoor section!! However, as stated in the article, it will contain a Cobra Roll, so I am guessing the rest of the ride will be different!

There is also, the following video, which gives off more info on the ride, as well as a look into the construction plant over at Gerstlauer! Again, a very heavy focus on Saw in the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgPs_NjSCJc

It certainly looks like one to keep an eye on!

I remember seeing discussions of this on Coasterforce. Looks good, and that indoor section looks very similar to SAW (and the only best bit of the ride imo!)

I saw the "RIDE Group of Companies" post this on Facebook earlier... The temptation to write a Smiler remark was massive but I refrained... Looks good though!

The Gerstlauer now has a name and some artwork along with it!

Abyss.jpg

Abyss%20(2).preview.jpg
1236063_10152666712273306_682065798_n.jpg

Adventure World's CEO, Mark Shaw, said of the announcement:
We think the name reflects what is going to be a white-knuckle ride filled with trepidation of the unknown, the likes of which visitors to any theme park in Australia won't have experienced. And we’re absolutely thrilled to give eight fearless riders the opportunity to be in the first carriage at the VIP and media launch event, simply by playing The Chosen Ones online. We have a feeling this competition is going to attract unprecedented interest and we believe it’'s going to be one of the most talked about prizes.

The ride's story is based on "ancient druid Guardians of the Abyss", so expect something spooky!
More from Theme Park Tourist here.

Sounds good so far! :)

1150976_418576108259568_667591824_n.png

992989_428320577285121_1986249965_n.jpg

Eery forests, counting, wraiths, tombs etc... not remind you of anything, no?

;D

BigAl said:
Gerstlauer have just popped this video on their Facebook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJP-sqL7cEI#ws

So it won't be an exact replica of Saw's layout. I wonder what'll be different?

Anyway, a look inside the Gerstlauer factory ftw! :D

Rather disagree with his assessment - "It's [Eurofighters] like the Mercedes of rollercoasters."

Ahem. The Suzuki of rollercoasters maybe ;)

It's quite ironic how there talking about having a smooth ride with no bumps then it cutting to a POV of Saw. :p

Alastair said:
BigAl said:

Rather disagree with his assessment - "It's [Eurofighters] like the Mercedes of rollercoasters."

Spoke to someone once who has worked on B&M's, MS, Intamin and Gerst, they stated that as far as operation quality and slickness went Gerst came above all but B&M.

Many of their rides are quite smooth too, they just seem cursed in England (speed is fine).

Dave said:
Alastair said:
BigAl said:

Spoke to someone once who has worked on B&M's, MS, Intamin and Gerst, they stated that as far as operation quality and slickness went Gerst came above all but B&M.

Many of their rides are quite smooth too, they just seem cursed in England (speed is fine).

Let's be honest though...you see a park installing a Eurofighter and you don't think "wow, that park must be doing really well to make that kind of investment!" You think - "small park, cheap but thrilling coaster, nothing worth especially visiting for."

Even if only in terms of cost (let alone ride comfort, reliability, throughput etc), Gerstlauer and B&M are completely incomparable.

I still think this is a good investment for a country like Australia. Especially in Perth where it's miles away from every other major park in Oz!

I don't mind Saw, and the indoor section is very good. Assuming this has a decent indoor section too, it should be fine. Especially for Australia.

TedTheHuman said:
I still think this is a good investment for a country like Australia. Especially in Perth where it's tens of thousands of miles away from any other major park on Earth!
Fixed that for you ;)

BigAl said:
I don't mind Saw, and the indoor section is very good. Assuming this has a decent indoor section too, it should be fine. Especially for Australia.

The indoor section is exactly the same.

The outdoor layout differs though. It's drop, immelamann, overbank, hill, helix, MCBR, a Blue Fire- esque drop out of MCBR and Saw's finale of dive loop then upwards curve into breaks.

I thought this pic was posted before, but here it is again- if it was even there before:

db_2013_0913_Abyss_AdventureWorld21.jpg

Nick said:
BigAl said:

The indoor section is exactly the same.

I meant in terms of theming. :p

Alastair said:
Dave said:
Alastair said:
BigAl said:

Let's be honest though...you see a park installing a Eurofighter and you don't think "wow, that park must be doing really well to make that kind of investment!" You think - "small park, cheap but thrilling coaster, nothing worth especially visiting for."

Even if only in terms of cost (let alone ride comfort, reliability, throughput etc), Gerstlauer and B&M are completely incomparable.

You don't really think much when a park installs a Vekoma.... Yet nearly all Disney coasters are and they seem to be scraping along with decent cred :)

And I never said they had the quality of a B&M, though its not like any B&M has really shook the coaster world since Manta really.

Dave said:
Alastair said:
Dave said:
Alastair said:
BigAl said:

You don't really think much when a park installs a Vekoma.... Yet nearly all Disney coasters are and they seem to be scraping along with decent cred :)

And I never said they had the quality of a B&M, though its not like any B&M has really shook the coaster world since Manta really.

The difference is, though, that when a Disney coaster is installed you don't refer to it as a "Vekoma." you refer to it as a "Disney coaster," because the final product is so unrecognisable from what Vekoma alone could produce that it's not even worthy of having their name mentioned.

I'm also certain that Disney pay Vekoma more for more precise track fabrication on their coasters than they would usually use.