• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2012 TEA report

Sam

TS Member
Spotted by peep on CF.

Yes, it's that time again when we can see exactly what numbers the big parks have been getting. Stats geeks, dive in!

Things of interest I've noticed:
  • The thrilling additions of Sub-Terra and Ice Age 4D saw Alton's gate figures decline by 9.4%
  • Merlin increased their overall visitor numbers 16.4% from 2011 to 2012, much higher than almost anyone else. This is presumably due to the opening of midway attractions.
  • Of the world's top 25 theme parks, the only one to lose visitors from 2011 to 2012 was California's Disneyland
  • Of the world's top 25 theme parks, the only one to lose visitors from 2011 to 2012 was California's Disneyland. I reckon this is due to increased visitors from California Adventure - maybe local visitors have started going to the two parks more equally, rather than always Disneyland.
  • Europa-Park are steadily inching closer to becoming Europe's second most-visited park. Guests figures increased by 2.2% from 11-12
  • Thorpe's £20m B&M investment actually saw guest numbers freefall by 10% Other Merlin catastrophes include Gardaland also shedding 10% of their guests and Heide Park drop by 7.1% Maybe those Wingriders are bad luck omens...?
  • Shambhala saw guest figures at Port-Aventura dip by 0.5%
  • Europe's biggest success story was Asterix, with an 8% rise, followed by the Puy du Fou at 6.7%

I love all these nerdy stats! :D

Wow, Legoland Windsor is the 10th most visited theme park in Europe! Certainly did not know that.

Sam said:
  • The thrilling additions of Sub-Terra and Ice Age 4D saw Alton's gate figures decline by 9.4%

I genuinely just spat my tea out of pure embarrassment and amusement! What is it equivalent to in visitor numbers in comparison to 2011 then?

Sam said:
  • Thorpe's £20m B&M investment actually saw guest numbers freefall by 10% Other Merlin catastrophes include Gardaland also shedding 10% of their guests and Heide Park drop by 7.1% Maybe those Wingriders are bad luck omens...?

Would The Swarm's failure be down to the events hosted the same year (i.e. Olympics, Jubilee), terrible weather etc?

Rowe said:
Sam said:

I genuinely just spat my tea out of pure embarrassment and amusement! What is it equivalent to in visitor numbers in comparison to 2011 then?

The 2011 report reveals a fall of 5.5% from 2010 to 2011, 'the year of nothing'. :)

I'm suprised that Merlin (in Europe atleast) bombed quite that badly. I hope it's a wake up call and they re-think their strategy... It's not like there's much left that they can cut back on!

The 10% for Thorpe is brutal for such a high investment year.

Sam said:
  • Shambhala saw guest figures at Port-Aventura dip by 0.5%

You mean rise! ;)

I love this report, always a good read when it comes out. Merlin growth is quite incredible, 16% is massive. It sounds like all of their Legoland parks have done very well, and midways continue to be successful, with large growth in Asia.

Not surprised to see guest numbers fall at Towers and Thorpe. Although a 10% decline for Thorpe in the year they get a major coaster is a massive blow. The report does however outline how UK theme parks took a triple hit last year in terms of the economy, the weather and the Olympics.

Lots of growth in the USA. It appears that Cars Land has been massively successful for California Adventure with growth of 22.6%. And on a personal note I'm pleased to see 4% growth at BGW after a decline of 2% in the previous period, Verbolten was obviously a successful investment.

:)

So since 2010 Alton Towers has had a 14.9% decrease in guest figures. Ouch! While Thorpe in comparison has only had a 10% decrease (figures have stayed pretty stable for them until last year). Then Legoland has had a 5.3% increase since 2010 (all figures based on TEA reports from the last few years).

So out of the UKs top parks, Legoland has done the best! Bad times for Thorpe and Alton however. Lets hope The Smiler brings in the guests for Alton Towers - and that Thorpe's re-brand currently being sorted will have a positive impact on the park.

Its hard to tell as there are only 3 uk parks in the top 20 but i would be curious what the overall trend in theme park attendance was in the UK. If all parks dropped attendance by 20% and Thorpe only 10% then obviously that is less significant than if everyone else stayed steady or increased.

Legoland Parks accounted for 33% increase and midway attractions 22%.

It would not surprise me if before long Legoland is the most visited park in the UK. I can only imagine it is the Legoland brand that is prompting this increase, as the park has not improved over the last 4 years.

The Olympics might explain why Thrope is down, but not Towers. Again, I think Merlin did nothing to promote it parks during the Olympics, and did nothing to encourage international visitors who might have been stopping.

I would like to think this would give Merlin a kick up the back side, but all it will do is allow them to be selective about the stats they boast about (2nd to Disney, 16% guest increase across the board) to increase a potential share sell.

Good to see Europe Park doing so well, Astrodan should be on commission for the number of UK enthusiasts he sends there way. I just think until an improved transport infrastructure is put in place, it will struggle to get above 5 million but hopefully they can prove me wrong.

Ian

IanB said:

It would not surprise me if before long Legoland is the most visited park in the UK. I can only imagine it is the Legoland brand that is prompting this increase, as the park has not improved over the last 4 years.

The Olympics might explain why Thrope is down, but not Towers. Again, I think Merlin did nothing to promote it parks during the Olympics, and did nothing to encourage international visitors who might have been stopping.

I would like to think this would give Merlin a kick up the back side, but all it will do is allow them to be selective about the stats they boast about (2nd to Disney, 16% guest increase across the board) to increase a potential share sell.

Good to see Europe Park doing so well, Astrodan should be on commission for the number of UK enthusiasts he sends there way. I just think until an improved transport infrastructure is put in place, it will struggle to get above 5 million but hopefully they can prove me wrong.

Ian

Towers tends to have it's biggest guest reduction the 2nd season after an SW, though not as big as last year. Cost will be a big factor.

The other thing is parks are not obligated to send genuine gate figures to this report, they often over exaggerate or under report in-order to suit their needs needs the following season.

IanB said:

Huh? Hotel last year, Atlantis (which has been exceedingly popular) the year before. 2010 was admittedly a bit 'meh' with just a refresh of Wild Woods to Pirates Landing (and addition of a second hand Huss swinging ship), but 2009 saw the addition of Laser Raiders (we may have certain thoughts as to the quality of that addition, but again, extremely popular with Legoland's target market).

This year of course is Duplo Valley including Drench Towers, which so far also appears to be mega-popular - the park has already hit capacity 4 or 5 times this season according to local news, and extended ride close on 5 or 6

So, "not improved over the last 4 years"? Huh? From the point of view of its target market, it's improved a great deal, and indeed had been doing better than all other UK Merlin parks for some time.

Haha, I think I got owned :-[

Atlantis is the most impressive thing on that list, and I will admit that is a fantastic addition to the park.

I am a big Lego fan, but in my last visit I found it under whelming. That being said, I am not the target market, and plenty of people are visiting it, and from those figures, going back each year I would assume.

With Towers, I don't buy in to this, there has been no secret weapon for 2 years so we expect gate figures to drop reason. If a SW draws people to the park, the park should be magical enough to keep people coming back.

Ian

I think what's most telling is the general over the board slump in merlin's park guests figures. Certain parks have done really well for themselves however, and it's the ones which I really like, which makes me feel a little smug :D

I also did not realise that Duinrell was so popular :eek:

I don't think the Olympics can be blamed for Thorpe doing crap, if LegoLand is doing well when both are just as near London to each other!

djtruefitt said:
I don't think the Olympics can be blamed for Thorpe doing crap, if LegoLand is doing well when both are just as near London to each other!

Bear in mind this is wild speculation - but I imagine that Thorpe's visitors are more likely to go to the Olympics/watch on TV/volunteer to be a Games Maker than Legoland's. The Olympics was always going to affect Thorpe more than Legoland.

Visiting theme parks is a luxury, and luxuries are the first to go when money gets tight. Still not nice figures....

My posts have that many mistakes in them?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky :)

The Olympics can't really be blamed for such a large drop in gate figures, can it? It wasn't as if they took place throughout the whole of the 2012 season.

Also, Legoland's gate figures are inching ever so close to Alton's now. If Legoland installed a fantastic new family roller coaster in a new themed land with perhaps one supporting flat ride, it wouldn't surprise me if they could overtake Alton. I guess we'll have to see what Alton's gate figures are like for 2013 once we get the next report in a year.

It'd be extremely difficult for lego to overtake Alton though, unless they gain massive increases in offpeak trips (which'd be difficult with it's target market).

That, along with it's capacity of around half of towers (due to lack of carparking - hence many sell-outs recently) means unless towers have an exceptionally bad year, lego won't be able to get close.

I made the comment because of how Legoland managed to get 2 million visitors in 2012, compared to Alton getting 2.4 million. It's getting close. There's still a considerable gap, but as Legoland expand, if Alton Towers continue to score low gate figures, Legoland won't be too far off. Especially now that Legoland has a hotel. They've got quite a lot of space for expansion or replacing/altering existing attractions. Alton Towers' gate figures have been much higher in the past (2010 being the last season to have seen a large gate figure) though, so I would have hoped that Merlin will work on the place to get the gate figures back to a more fitting level.