• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013: General Discussion

It's been split for maintenance - I do believe they need to crane it off. What hasn't been mentioned anywhere is that the katanga pathway was closed today, with rapids closed for some time until they opened the bit up to pizza pasta.

Judging by ridetimes.co.uk, it's reopened...

EDIT - Further judging says that the park is packed...

11rdhew.jpg

Andrew said:
Just in case anybody didn't know, the theme park will be open from 10am-6pm all through August. :)

Tbh, I don't think this is a good thing. The park should be open til 8 or 9 in the Summer.

sully1311 said:
Andrew said:
Just in case anybody didn't know, the theme park will be open from 10am-6pm all through August. :)

Tbh, I don't think this is a good thing. The park should be open til 8 or 9 in the Summer.

That's exactly how I feel too but at least it's not 4pm or 4:30pm...

I have no issue with 6pm if it's quiet.

But in the summer, every major European park is open later.

Much later.

Tonight I can count at least 10 parks across Europe open beyond 10pm, some till 1am!

It'll never change with Alton though. They haven't the money...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It'd never open till 11pm or beyond because the transport infrastructure is just so primitive. Whereas most European parks have excellent, accessible train/shuttle bus links, Alton just has nothing even comparable.

Transport is a tricky one considering the parks damn awkward location and how hard it would be to secure a decent public transport infrastructure within the resort. They definitely don't do enough though to encourage the use of busses/trains.

Equally I dunno if we have the right culture for such late openings in the UK? I want to think that if parks regularly opened until 9, 10 and beyond over the summer - people would pack them out until closing time. However part of me believes that they would become ghost towns after about 6 or 7 at night... I'd love somewhere to prove me wrong though with a dedicated summer of late openings *hint hint*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Scott said:
Transport is a tricky one considering the parks damn awkward location and how hard it would be to secure a decent public transport infrastructure within the resort. They definitely don't do enough though to encourage the use of busses/trains.

Equally I dunno if we have the right culture for such late openings in the UK? I want to think that if parks regularly opened until 9, 10 and beyond over the summer - people would pack them out until closing time. However part of me believes that they would become ghost towns after about 6 or 7 at night... I'd love somewhere to prove me wrong though with a dedicated summer of late openings *hint hint*

I can see your point with this. As much as I'd love UK parks in general, but especially Towers, to stay open late, I think there's just a different culture on the continent!

I remember going to France on an exchange when I was in Sixth Form in 2001. The night we arrived (after travelling for 24 hours), the students there wanted us to go out to a club at 1am! I was gobsmacked given that most placed I'd been to here were already shut by then. I think there is generally more going on late at night than there is here.

Sorry, kind of off topic, kind of not! I do think it would be amazing riding coasters late at night though! Hoping to go to Thorpe's Summer Nights next week but it won't even really be dark! I'd love to ride The Smiler in the dark. :)

I can sort of see the argument that people won't want to hang around for ages. However, something I've noticed at many international parks is that, unlike UK ones, at opening time in the morning the crowds tend to be considerably less. Guests instead arrive in a flow throughout the day.

My guess would be people think "Oh, the park's open until 9? We can turn up a few hours later.". Especially with families I'd say this offers a good plan for their day. People would probably want to avoid an early get up in order to arrive at 9, especially those traveling long distances.

But think as well from the parks point of view. A smaller morning rush allows the staff and facilities to build up steadily, rather than everything suddenly being put under massive pressure, and issues arising as a result. Towers Street plaza, while offering the capacity, is naff at handling the big crowds in the morning if you ask me. People are everywhere, and it's a bit of a nightmare to try and get though sometimes. If they could spread the amount of people arriving more steadily it would really help. The same goes for the Monorail, at both opening and closing times.

I can see both sides of the late opening argument really, but I do think that if a park was willing to take the leap and stay open frequently as a matter of habit others would follow suit, and visitors would be more likely to stay for these extended periods. I really do think that guests would stay later. You only have to look at the lawns on a nice day at closing time to see people sat around on the grass enjoying a few extra minutes in the park even without the ride's operating.

If they heavily advertised the hours, it could work. Say, Saturdays through summer they open late. This is what Efteling do.

The problem is, Alton will want an instant success. They aren't prepared to let things build up over a few years.

Jazz bands on Towers St, evening shows, etc.

Summer Saturdays at Alton - open till 10pm.

But they won't.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

They won't ever open beyond 9pm, the locals would go nutty.

The crowds at Towers are an odd bunch and summer has never been peak guests attendance. It would be nice though if Towers had a more responsive closing time so if crowds are in the time gets later on the day.

Maybe have a "summer night" event for a week and see how it goes

How about a one off stunt show?

I would be pretty easy to do. Just have it as a one off one weekend on a Friday and Saturday (Sunday too if possible). Have some other entertainment brought in, market the theme park being open until 9pm. They would be guaranteed to grabs the crowds in if it's a one off event. Then simply get a load of staff doing surveys at the end of the nights to look into bringing a permanent summer event.

Realistically, I think that would work well and be reasonable enough, even for Alton Towers and Merlin these days.

They won't though, someone at Towers needs to grow some balls and do something. They are not going to get anywhere just playing it safe and doing nothing year on year.

There's so many things they could do but they just won't. It's very telling that we all have no faith in Alton to even attempt something like this - which is a shame.

Also if guests were staying longer on the park, say families til 9pm, surely theres alot more revenue to be gained from this.

Another meal (evening dinner), additional drinks and gifts, then surely people might want to stay in the hotels or local.

It just comes down to effort, there needs to be a push from management, the staff need to back this (I realise everyone wants to go home as early as possible, but in a customer service environment it cannot be guaranteed), and it needs promoting by marketing - also marketing need to agree, they seem to be the decision makers for everything these days.

It would be great, but like I said it needs effort.

Another good point Ben. Woodcutters actually say on the side about beating queues and having tea there before leaving, but is anyone really ready for an evening meal at 5/6pm? Heck, serving guests food in the park later on would also help to solve the issue with hotel restaurant capacity!

I don't see why they could even look at perhaps phasing in late openings. Evening Ride Time, with the same lineup as morning ERT perhaps? Or something like Disney Extra Magic Hours; each night pick 3 or 4 park areas which will be remaining open for an hour or two after park close. Then they can even cut down staff in the evenings and see how it fairs.If guests are staying then consider adding more to the lineup.

R.E. locals: Doesn't the noise abatement order stipulate that they are permitted to make their regular level of noise until 9pm, but no later. However, any noise exceeding the base level can only be permitted so many days a year? There's many ways they could look at running the park on the quiet. Even if they close X-Sector and Dark Forest early on or something.

As with so many things at Towers, it's the sort of thing which could easily be phased in over time, but due to the thought of not making an instant return it won't. The only way I can see them ever extending hours is if other UK parks put the pressure on by increasing their hours more (Which is slowly happening). It's depressing that this is how the place seems to run these days (Not just with opening hours), as Alton is supposedly the market leader. Surely they should lead the way, rather than only making an effort when forced to by the competition.

Ben said:
It just comes down to effort, there needs to be a push from management, the staff need to back this (I realise everyone wants to go home as early as possible, but in a customer service environment it cannot be guaranteed), and it needs promoting by marketing - also marketing need to agree, they seem to be the decision makers for everything these days.

Just to back up the staff point of view, its not just that we all want to go home as soon as possible, it's the sheer amount of hours we'd have to do. Just now monorail are doing 8:00am - 8:00pm shifts which is bad enough, but if the park was open till 9/10pm then we would be doing in excess of 14/15 hour shifts, which is ridiculous.

I for one would love the park to be open later, and I'm a big supporter of it as I don't really have a life outside of work anyway, but some people have families that they would like to see, and currently even at just 6:00 ride close its hard enough for them.

Im not criticising the staff, its a true of pretty much every job - no-one likes to stay later than they have to.

And as you say those shifts would be silly, staggered starts like other long operational jobs would be the way forward. I frequently work 11:30-9pm, I quite enjoy that shift too.

Like Ian says if its just a limited amount of rides and areas to trial, it wouldnt actually need that many staff. And as one of the biggest employers of temporary, hourly paid staff in the area I can imagine it would be pretty easy to recruit more staff to cover the extra.

Perhaps if they wanted to trial a longer opening Id suggest the back area of the park, Dark Forrest and Cloud Cuckoo Land - they would offer 1 thrill seeker coaster, 1 family coaster and several family rides - perhaps chuck Hex in too. Then there would also be Woodcutters for food and drink and some DF outlets too.

The other consideration to opening late is the working time directive on some of the jobs.

I think the maximum hours per shift that can be worked driving a monorail system is 12hrs, due it being safety critical.
so i think it will involve two shifts to run the monorail during late opening.