• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013: General Discussion

Like I suggested staggered starts, similarly to what they do at Scarefest.

Anything open that long would have staggered shifts - as nobody would expect the same staff to be on park the whole time. Take supermarkets... If they don't open 24 hours they tend to be from 7am-10pm, staff would never be expected to do all that, so you have your day staff, your evening staff and your night shift who all cross over at times.

It would be easy enough for Towers to schedule staff into shifts if this ever happened.

Ben said:
Like I suggested staggered starts, similarly to what they do at Scarefest.

We don't always do this at scarefest, it has been trialled, but unfortunately if you're on an early shift and the person on late doesn't turn in, you have to stay in as the ride needs to stay open. Staggered shifts don't work very well in my experience.

It seems to work well in other industries, which all cope with the same demands.

Surely theres 'bank' staff available to call in for stuff like this, or theres always people wanting extra money that can be incentivised with overtime pay.

We frequently have it at my work, even with an hours notice on occasion and we cannot stop work - and we always manage to get an extra body or someone willing to stay. This includes a huge range of speciality staff that can only perform certain roles due to safety etc. And we have a MUCH smaller work base than Towers - I dont believe it cant be done there.

As much as hours of working are important, at the end of the day - pretty much every other major European resort manages it...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Working hours are something they can very, very, very easily get around. There'd be no stopping them there.

Does woodcutters still have those "beat the queues" signs around? I hope not, as it closes at 5pm everyday now.

Yes, it does. And it always has! Did it EVER stay open late?

On a slightly different subject from the current flow of conversation, I wanted to discuss something that has been bugging me since I visited a week or so ago.

I got my lunch from the MB Burger Kitchen, and gave my AP to get discount. I paid with a tenner and expected to get change. But no, the girl asked me if I actually wanted my change (which I was absolutely astounded by, of course I want my change - and I certainly didn't flash my AP for her benefit). So she got me the correct amount of change from the till, handed me over some of the change but kept about £1 in coins in her hand. I pointed this out to her that she had handed me the incorrect change and she then proceeded to give me the rest in her hand.

I then went and sat down and when my boyfriend came over from getting his food I told him about it and it turned out she'd short changed him as well.

I'm not saying this is common practice but are staff members required to take in a certain amount of cash to hit target and she was desperately trying to claw this in? It was such a bizarre incident and I've never experienced anything like it before.

jmc said:
I'm not saying this is common practice but are staff members required to take in a certain amount of cash to hit target and she was desperately trying to claw this in? It was such a bizarre incident and I've never experienced anything like it before.

A companies "take" is determined by the sales registered not by how much money is in a till. It causes huge headaches if tills are cashed-in higher than they should be (as that has to be declared and has implications). Hence why when-ever i worked with money an "uppage" was dealt with exactly the same as a "shortage".

No company would expect their staff to short-change anyone, dunno what the staff member was doing. Maybe they where confused by something.

They have no right to short change you.

The only time they should keep change is if the customer explicitly says "oh keep the change" or gives some change back to the staff member.

It might have been a case of her actually trying to take change and keep it to herself. Or like Dave said she was confused. If she did it to your boyfriend though that would imply it wasn't a one off mistake.

*Edit* This was not at the towers, but one of my local supermarkets. Just to make it clear *Edit*

I have had what call pocketing, the practice of getting the correct change out of the till then palming some of the change. giving the incorrect change then doing something to get their hand into there pocket like getting a tissue to wipe their nose. dropping the change into their pocket.

I stood my ground and refused to move from the till until i had the correct change, i was threaten with the police if i did not move . I told them to go ahead as i would like to get them to sort the short change out. the till operator did not want the fuss of the police.

The manager was checking the CCTV for the till i was served at, and is i kept my hands over the bagging area, and left my change is full view and the till draw he could see a change in the coinage between the till and my hand.

The police where call but not to move me on.they where there to arrest the till operator.

Indeed Ive seen this practice in some unscrupulous places- with the correct change leaving the till but the staff member not passing it all off.

If this is happening, it is purely theft. I strongly suggest you contact guest services using this form and tell them the situation.
I doubt you would get anything but a corporate non-response but at least it will alert the park there is a possible theft scam going on.

With it happening to two of you it alarms me alot, had it been a one off thats a simple mistake. But twice and in a row, not so much. Id hope it is just one staff member taking advantage but greed breeds greed.

delta79 said:
I have had what call pocketing, the practice of getting the correct change out of the till then palming some of the change. giving the incorrect change then doing something to get their hand into there pocket like getting a tissue to wipe their nose. dropping the change into their pocket.

I stood my ground and refused to move from the till until i had the correct change, i was threaten with the police if i did not move . I told them to go ahead as i would like to get them to sort the short change out. the till operator did not want the fuss of the police.

The manager was checking the CCTV for the till i was served at, and is i kept my hands over the bagging area, and left my change is full view and the till draw he could see a change in the coinage between the till and my hand.

The police where call but not to move me on.they where there to arrest the till operator.

Just to clarify was this at Towers?

In other news, as of today guests without ERT entitlement are being held on towers street until 10.

Apparently, as of next monday, the lineup changes so that thirteen and hex are removed with blade and duel added. This is because Woodland Walk is now open from 830 and is prominantly advertised as the main entry for ERT at the hotels.

How we go around in circles! The changes make sense but I feel for thrillseekers.

Nemesis or Nemesis!

Air needs adding.

Why can't the entirety of FV just be added and be done with it? Perhaps with the exception of Ripsaw I can't see a reason against it.

I'm glad they have decided to revert back to holding guests at the bottom of Towers Street who don't have ERT access, I hope they stick to it this time :)

Balls. As a non MAP holder they couldn't have just kept it going for another week as I'm going on Saturday. ;D

Oh well, can't complain, after all it is meant to be for MAP holders, hotel guests and online bookings. Only took them nearly 5 months to sort out. Poor selection on ERT now though.

Thing is, Duel is a queue muncher anyway. I wouldn't want to do it first thing as I don't really see it as a necessity. Th13teen was a MUCH more valuable addition to ERT. I got 3 rides on it, 2 front row and 1 back row, in half an hour. I then nipped over to Rita in time for opening.