• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013: General Discussion

Hmm I'd assumed it was in the same place as the previous board. After seeing where it actually is in those photos then I do have concerns with it possibly hindering the view over to the Towers. I really hope this isn't the case though.

:)

Well, that's the view for fireworks ruined.

The new screen is clearly a vast improvement, but why put it there?

I'm going to moan because I like moaning, but why put the board there. Don't get me wrong the park is spending money but why there

I'm sure the screen is only temporary. If you take a look at the first picture in the topic which was posted to the TowersStreet Facebook page you can see through the temporary fences that the screen is just sat on a metal frame, which no doubt comes to pieces for transporting it (Like the All Time Greats displays).

The screen which has been removed from Towers Street had a proper concrete foundation for it to sit on, which it was bolted down to. Would seem daft not to use it if it's there.

I get the impression that this display is temporary. Probably just added to test a possible new queuetime information system. Given how quickly it's gone up it should be easy enough to move it for Fireworks. The park are well aware that they need all the space they can get on the lawns at the event, so sticking a LED screen worth several thousand pounds on a simple base would not be a great idea. Not only for taking up space, but what if someone was to damage the screen, or it somehow injure someone? Could be very costly, particularly if this display is hired or something.

I don't think this is permanent by any means. More a taster of things to come, and a chance for them to quickly get some feedback on a possible new system :)

Love the screen. Location is a bit iffy and so are some of the fonts used, but all in all, its about time they splashed out on improving them. They will also get the money back quickly if they have advertising on them. I just hope they don't have audio :p

A minor gripe for me is that all of the ride times are green. They should use the traffic light system like on the website.

I wonder if this screen will do a bit of wandering to find the best place for it before the permanent screen is put in place.

I don't see the problem with the location of it. It will only ruin the view if you're standing directly in front of it. Yeah it's being than the previous display, but it's not severely bigger or an eyesore - they've put it in the right position.

It looks great, hopefully something like that will roll out across the park next season!

Alastair said:
GaryH said:
Is the image on the right hand side part of the screen or just a poster?

It's a screen, as shown below (pictures from Towers2Go) :)

1185686_515611721842019_386918097_n.jpg

970902_515736801829511_1590026352_n.jpg

I'm confused by these two photos, is the screen in the same place on each one?

I say that because the bridge in the background on the close up picture looks really far away but really close on the one taken from a distance. The perspective just doesn't seem to add up :S

my biggest concern is it seems to be using the ridetimes.co.uk system for queue times.

In which case its a complete waste of money as that thing is simply a random number generator. Half the time Im convinced its just an elaborate game of bingo.

Tim said:
I'm confused by these two photos, is the screen in the same place on each one?

I say that because the bridge in the background on the close up picture looks really far away but really close on the one taken from a distance. The perspective just doesn't seem to add up :S

I'm pretty sure it's just perspective. The path that's visible in front of the screen on the first picture is clearly where the second picture is taken from. The perspective simply makes the distance to the bridge seem greater on the second.

Ben said:
my biggest concern is it seems to be using the ridetimes.co.uk system for queue times.

In which case its a complete waste of money as that thing is simply a random number generator. Half the time Im convinced its just an elaborate game of bingo.

You will be able to buy the bingo tickets from all good upsellers soon ;)

AIR 20mins
Come on I just need a 55 mins
smiler 90mins
dang, i need 55mins
Nemesis 55mins,
BINGO :D :D

GaryH said:
Ahh cool - que the Buy your FastTrack tickets adverts!! lol

I am surprised that not one of the photos has not got a FT advert on it.

One thing that has been bugging me this year is the pure overuse and laziness of that MotherHen font! It's been everywhere! And it's not exactly the most clear of fonts to read either!

If you look at Thorpe Park's current marketing material, it remains clear to read whilst also matching their 'brand'. Alton Towers' use of MotherHen looks tacky now, and I would much prefer they revert back to the fonts used in the 2008/09 era, its seemed so much more easier to read (people who struggle to read may have issues reading some signs in the MotherHen font), and was also similar to the 'resort' part of the logo so it was coherent with the brand.

It is however nice to see the reintroduction of themed signs about the place, instead of general branded ones appearing, for example the Towers Scarefest preparation sign, and some of the new Warning Ride Area signs.

I just think that overall the marketing and branding material is once again in for an overhaul, its been used since 2011 and is, in my eyes anyways, beginning to look cheap and not reflecting the heritage of the park. At the moment I really like the design of the spanish theme park; Terra Mitica's website. It's modern, takes hints from current design trends, and isn't too busy which I think is what wrong with Alton's current website design.

ryanlovesaltontowers said:
One thing that has been bugging me this year is the pure overuse and laziness of that MotherHen font! It's been everywhere! And it's not exactly the most clear of fonts to read either!

If you look at Thorpe Park's current marketing material, it remains clear to read whilst also matching their 'brand'. Alton Towers' use of MotherHen looks tacky now, and I would much prefer they revert back to the fonts used in the 2008/09 era, its seemed so much more easier to read (people who struggle to read may have issues reading some signs in the MotherHen font), and was also similar to the 'resort' part of the logo so it was coherent with the brand.

It is however nice to see the reintroduction of themed signs about the place, instead of general branded ones appearing, for example the Towers Scarefest preparation sign, and some of the new Warning Ride Area signs.

I just think that overall the marketing and branding material is once again in for an overhaul, its been used since 2011 and is, in my eyes anyways, beginning to look cheap and not reflecting the heritage of the park. At the moment I really like the design of the spanish theme park; Terra Mitica's website. It's modern, takes hints from current design trends, and isn't too busy which I think is what wrong with Alton's current website design.

Agreed with all of this. The mother hen font looks extremely awful, lazy, and overused. It is almost literally plastered everywhere on information related stuff in the park. The font used around 2008 was much MUCH better.

I hope they move it when it's made permanent because the old one detracted from the view of the Towers, and this one ruins it.

I personally think this is the strongest brand they've had for ages. Love the Mother Hen and branding (the wallpaper feature on back of all the signage is gorgeous!).

However some bits are overkill. Some need to be in a normal font.

I don't mind the font being used around park on posters, etc. But I do think the queue board should be in a simple font to make it easy to see.

It is certainly temp at the moment, as its just on a structure and not in the ground or anything.

If it does become permanent I would do the colour coding (like rides time) and I would also add a load more rides to the system (like Thorpe Park do). Because on a busy day you would look at that and every ride could be packed, but some rides such as Hex or Ripsaw might be walk on. That way it spreads the guests out a bit more.

I would certainly add Hex, Ripsaw, Charlie, The Blade, Duel, Enterprise, Submission and a few family rides (depending what we get next year). I would love for them to add every single ride, but I don't think they will.

The adverts at the side also need to be linked to the ride times, or changed during the day. For example when I was there yesterday afternoon it was saying head to the valley first, then another advert said head to the forest first to beat the queues. Which was pointless at 3pm when TH13TEEN and Rita both had massive queues!

djtruefitt said:
I would certainly add Hex, Ripsaw, Charlie
Been wracking my brains trying to work out what ride is missing from the new queue board (11 on new, 12 on old). Charlie!

Definitely needs a good amount of rides on there, say 20 or so. Will make the park feel quieter if they had the smaller rides on there to show lower queue times during busy days and benefit the park. Just get the rides to phone to update queue times when they need to, rather than control phoning them every half hour. Easy!