• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013: General Discussion

The hotel entertainment has always been rubbish. No originality or creative spark at all - it's the epitome of naff.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter that they were once in the west end, got to ask why aren't they there anymore.

Hotel entertainment will always be naff. No matter how much money you throw at it. We are in an age because of the x-factor and the voice were people think we want to be entertained by a load of plastic singers who will change the key to prove that they are a good singer, and with the decline of the working men's clubs. These Jane McDonald types have no where to go simple. That's why if I was AT I would build a bar away from the hotel for normal decent folk to sit and have a quiet drink. There living there dream........which is a lot of peoples nightmare's

One other observations that the entertainment will have to be aimed at a young audience which is never a good thing. Unless you are a kid of course.

Slugjc said:
One other observations that the entertainment will have to be aimed at a young audience which is never a good thing. Unless you are a kid of course.

Never a good thing... unless you're a family resort aiming to please families?? The vast majority of guests in the hotels are families - if there was no entertainment that catered to a young audience then I'd say Towers would have it absolutely wrong.

When I have stayed on resort with TS members, we have always had a jolly good singalong and general laugh when the entertainment has been on. There will always exist people who don't want entertainment, but I imagine that's a small percentage.

Perhaps the small bar in the conference centre could be offered up as a quiet haven for those seeking some time away from it all?

Sent using Tapatalk

James said:
cybermen39 said:
I'm sorry but it must depend on what you like but that singing belongs in the local working mens club and as for the costumes they have been worn time after time. The same with all the roaming actors old costumes from very old ice shows. The only thing different was the images on the walls.
That's why the base player came over to us he said your costumes are better than what they provide us with . But the singing please

I've heard all sorts of car crashes of singing in the past and Alton Towers has got good quality, decent singers who are very good in my opinion. Obviously if you disagree with that we can only agree to disagree.

I've been to many venues in the past so know a good singer when I hear one. The new singers at the hotels this year are far better than the singers they've had come and go over the past decade that's for sure!

I know Alton reuse costumes. But the majority of businesses do that. So it's not out the ordinary.

I personally know the singers from Dance With The Devil and Dark Side Of The Moon and I can ensure you they did and do still work in the West End, one was previously in the musical 'RENT' and is now going on their UK tour. Also the costumes for this years Scarefest shows have been made especially for these performances and therefore have not been worn before.

The Hotel shows have come a long way in the last few years alone, with the introduction of a live band (A-Band-On-Ship), professional singers, the new projections, custom costumes, special effects make-up and new lighting and sound tech.

I think people are too harsh about the shows. Could you do any better working on a 2m x 2m stage? I think not. Hotel shows this year have come a long way, and the Hotel Entertainments team are always looking into new ideas to improve the performances.

I must be in the minority here, but I quite like the Hotel Entertainment.

The last couple of years has shown a vast improvement. Of course there are plenty of improvements that could be made, although I'm not sure what people expect. Between the two venues the shows cater for most age-groups and the quality is good.

I don't think they could have anything other than music/singing really because there are people who are using the area as a bar, not as an entertainment venue. This must also be respected surely. An alternative to this, as above, would be a separate pub-style bar, for people who would prefer a quiet drink.

EDIT - I think they really should sort out the toilets at ATH ASAP, this always brings back a sense of reality, whereas the rest of the hotel you forget that you are only 60 miles ( or whatever ) from home. I think the hotels are fantastic generally, of course apart from the basic rooms. But after several Guinness's and a nice evening, who really cares...

Sonic appears to have had a little bit of an accident...

999444_616567308390330_1183015975_n.jpg

Picture credit to Paul Jones

Yet another combination of poor groundwork and shoddy workmanship from Gerst. Someone at Alton Towers needs to get a grip on this madness before it affects other parts of the park.

On a more serious note, were the air tunnel lights still in place come the last day? I thought that they improved that tunnel no end - whoever placed them there deserves a medal!

siralgenon said:
James said:
cybermen39 said:
I'm sorry but it must depend on what you like but that singing belongs in the local working mens club and as for the costumes they have been worn time after time. The same with all the roaming actors old costumes from very old ice shows. The only thing different was the images on the walls.
That's why the base player came over to us he said your costumes are better than what they provide us with . But the singing please

I've heard all sorts of car crashes of singing in the past and Alton Towers has got good quality, decent singers who are very good in my opinion. Obviously if you disagree with that we can only agree to disagree.

I've been to many venues in the past so know a good singer when I hear one. The new singers at the hotels this year are far better than the singers they've had come and go over the past decade that's for sure!

I know Alton reuse costumes. But the majority of businesses do that. So it's not out the ordinary.

I personally know the singers from Dance With The Devil and Dark Side Of The Moon and I can ensure you they did and do still work in the West End, one was previously in the musical 'RENT' and is now going on their UK tour. Also the costumes for this years Scarefest shows have been made especially for these performances and therefore have not been worn before.

The Hotel shows have come a long way in the last few years alone, with the introduction of a live band (A-Band-On-Ship), professional singers, the new projections, custom costumes, special effects make-up and new lighting and sound tech.

I think people are too harsh about the shows. Could you do any better working on a 2m x 2m stage? I think not. Hotel shows this year have come a long way, and the Hotel Entertainments team are always looking into new ideas to improve the performances.
That is wrong the costume the male singer wore was also worn in the emperors bar at the start of the season in that show.

And to ask if anyone could do better is a daft thing to say . Most people are not singers .
But like Simon Cowell says i'm not a singer but I know what I like.

cybermen39 said:
siralgenon said:
James said:
cybermen39 said:

That is wrong the costume the male singer wore was also worn in the emperors bar at the start of the season in that show.

Abandonship have never played in the Emperors Suite?

if you go to google and tap in alton towers hotel entertainment shows and go to images you will see the same hat he was wearing on scarefest the male singer

The hat is the same. His costume (the rest of his clothing) for Scarefest this year was entirely new.

He said all the costumes were new give me time and i'll show you the costumes I have every show taped from 1989 to present day. But I only filmed shows at the hotel over the last 10 for the sake of it . For my collection but I will find you photo's . I don't go to the Towers for rides its just for the fun and my intertrest is in the shows which I keep up as i'm sure 1 day they will get better and I don't want to even miss the more un entertaining ones. I even had to do copy's for the archive dept as I have shows they did not have . I feel i'm going on but I also have every behind the magic from 1989 to 2000 which includes all backstage antics stuff that would make a bangcock lady boy blush. The only show I do not have is the Christmas 2007 ice show The Magic of Panto so if you've got it i'll glady do anything for it

Just decided to work out the cost for a good day at towers when it's busy:

Family of 4

Tickets: £46.80 each. 4@£187.20
Fastrack (needed if you want to do every ride on a crammed day): Gold £50. 4@£200
Food: average £10 each. 4@£40
Photos: average £7. One for each coaster = 6@£42
Other merchandise: average £8PP 4@£32
Parking: £6
Grand Total: £507.20 PER DAY

Did this for a family who go very rarely and pay fill price at the gate.

ILC said:
Just decided to work out the cost for a good day at towers when it's busy:

Family of 4

Tickets: £46.80 each. 4@£187.20
Fastrack (needed if you want to do every ride on a crammed day): Gold £50. 4@£200
Food: average £10 each. 4@£40
Photos: average £7. One for each coaster = 6@£42
Other merchandise: average £8PP 4@£32
Parking: £6
Grand Total: £507.20 PER DAY

That is not representative of the prices they'd actually pay, though. For starters, the family rate on the gate isn't £46.80 per person - it's a fair bit less. Fastrack you would not need gold, even buying Dark Forest + Forbidden Valley + Smiler separate, it wouldn't cost £50. Photo's, 4 = £20 on the photopass.

:)

This family fastrack every ride because it's rammed.
They rarely go an haven't heard of a photopass

Also:

ILC said:
This family fastrack every ride because it's rammed.
They rarely go an haven't heard of a photopass

Also:

This really is the worse case scenario, isn't it.

Most families will use BOGOF vouchers so there's a considerable amount taken off. I highly doubt many people would want to buy a photo for every ride too. Fastrack isn't necessary on all rides even when it's busy so there's quite a portion taken off.

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't plan a day to a theme park beforehand so paying £500 is extremely (or uber if that sounds like even more) rare. I'd say a typical day would be more around the £150-£200 mark, if that.

ILC said:

Well that family are fools for paying the full price.

2for1s are everywhere these days. In season you're guaranteed to walk through any supermarket and come across a voucher for Alton Towers.