• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: Family Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
As recently as a few months ago they where investing in new equipment for the animals and put staff on full contracts to look after them so I would hazard a guess they are staying.

So what do we have here then??

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?keyval=MRVOO7PGA8000&searchtype=PROPERTY&module=P3

Existing
Foam Factory Proposed extension to create a changing area. It is noted that the retheming of theexisting Foam Factory building does not require planning permission and is excluded
from the proposals.

Cabin Buildings Demolition of existing cabins and erection of new Back Of House (B.O.H) buildings
N/A New Toilet Block

Entrance Barn Section of barn to be demolished and remainder re-themed. It is noted that the
retheming of the building does not require planning permission.

Boat Ride New themed characters to be added to the ride. It is noted that the retheming of the
ride does not require planning permission and is excluded from the proposals.

Tractor Ride New themed characters to be added to the ride and new bunding. It is noted that the retheming of the ride does not require planning permission and is excluded from the
proposals.

Big Top Demolition of Big Top
Dung Heap Demolition of Dung Heap
Dove Cote Demolition of Dove Cote
N/A Installation of new festival tents
N/A Installation of new canopy – open sided structures that do not create additional floor
area
N/A Installation of 3.5m acoustic fence. No additional floor area

The application site is located towards the north west of Alton Towers Resort and is predominantly a children’s area of the theme park which incorporates small rides and play areas. The proposed re-theming will refresh Old MacDonald’s Farm and Storybook Land whilst maintaining the existing attractions, and developing new entertainment opportunities that are of a similar scale to those existing. The contemporary re-theming of the site will complement the other themed areas which are regularly refreshed and added to at Alton TowersResort.

Amount
The site area is 0.97 ha with the demolition of 1674.4 sqm of floorspace and erection of 417sqm of new floorspace in us class D2 (assembly and leisure). The overall loss of 1,275.4 sqm of floorspace is planned across five areas within the application site; Demolition of existing cabins and erection of new Back Of House (B.O.H) area and the Demolition of the Big Top and creation of new Village Green with Entertainment Marquee Area, the addition of a new toilet block, extension of an existing toilet block and the conversion and extension of the existing back of house barn. The proposals also include the re-theming of a number of other buildings
and rides within the application site. A full schedule of the proposals is outlined in the table below.

Just things I am spotting quickly.

New Changing Rooms - Could this indicate that there is going to be a lot of water involved in the new attraction.

A new stage for family shows and a roaming entertainment vehicle. Possible the Maintenance People?

This new area is not going to bring any new customers to the park, just make previous guests revisit so no change in traffic levels. I would disagree with this. Especially when the next section states the aim is to attract families with young children. Why can't Merlin just be honest, and say yes, we hope this new attraction will increase park visitors.

Overall, the plans sound good, a refresh and re-theme, and opening up a lot of unused area to make it feel a lot bigger.

Should be interesting

Ian

From our article:

From the plans put online today, the following changes have been noted to the area:

• Dung Heap to be removed and replaced with 'low level' play equipment in a smaller area
  • Dovecote to be removed
  • Minor extension to the current Berry Bish Bash attraction for a new family toilets and baby changing area
  • New toilet block located in the old ice tent area
  • New theming for Riverbank Eye Spy in the form of themed characters
  • New theming for the Tractor Ride in the form of themed characters
  • The old ice tent is to be removed and replaced with a new 'green space', including an activity area, and performance area and back of house area made of portacabins
  • The ice tent area is to feature astroturf, a marquee, and surrounded by 3.5m sound barrier fences due to proximity to local residents
  • Activity area within ice tent area including 4 small tents for covered activities, surrounded by open lawns and a large canopy over the stage area.
  • Part of entrance "barn" to be demolished and remaining parts rethemed

The new "green space" on the old Ice Tent according to the plans:

7lto.jpg

So....

Foam Factory / Bish Bash - Going to become a new indoor water play area?

New Entertainment Areas - Demolition of big top to create smaller more distinct covered areas?

Some pretty heavy demolition work however...

Shame there's no kiddie coaster - it's the one thing Towers actually needs (apart from more flat rides, obviously).

Still, despite not being a kid, nor having kids, I'm pretty excited for the plans - not least to see which IP(s) they go for in the end.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of a kiddie roller coaster at this point. Alton Towers are fully aware they need one. So I'm sure plans will be in place for one to be installed in the near future.

There's a small chance this kids area development will be spread over two years. With 2014 being the major phase and 2015 having some more minor investments placed. Possible 2015 kids coaster?

What I want to know is what the raised section in the middle of the green area is for? The other bit is marked "performance area" but the one directly in the centre has no label...?

Well we've had our fun in the Dung Heap, and now we say our goodbyes!!

Any redevelopment of the area is welcome in my eyes, as the space the Dung Heap/Ice tent/Beastie takes up is an absolute waste of space - literally!

Not yet had chance to look at the plans properly, but I can only applaud the intention to overhaul what's already there.

Sent using Tapatalk

Our news article has now been updated with all of the information we can find, as well as many images from the planning portal!

I'm going to save my judgements on this until I've actually seen it built. The new marquee and green space looks quite nice and it is good to see another performance area on park. If there is a new show then hopefully there will be some form on seating, something that isn't shown on the plans.

I get the impression that the plans are purposefully vague so that they can keep the IP under wraps for the time being. I'd imagine more of the building will also be receiving re-themes but these do not need to be included in the submission.

Not surprised to see the Dung Heap going. I am however surprised that they are installing new play equipment in its place. This just seems strange. Especially when it doesn't look like they are adding any new rides.

So all in all I think it's hard to get any real idea of when the finished product will be like from these plans. They don't need planning permission for a lot of what they want to do so we won't really know exactly what's happened until we see some construction.

Oh, and a new toilet block! That is good news!

:)

Little in the way of new attractions.
Little in the way of changes.
Little in almost every way.

Demolition of existing buildings, a reduction in the concentration of buildings in the area and reductions in other areas of theming.

Something tells me this is going to be a low investment year, with almost all of the investment going on the IP. It seems a real shame.

Unless of course there are plans for other things under the GDO. No doubt Alton could put in place a heavy amount of theming and make this area worthwhile, but I think families with young children would be excited a bit more about new rides and such, than just a general retheme.

They can't reveal the IP yet as mentioned in one of the letters... Probably due to the contract signed with them...

The success of this is literally down to what the IP is... It is rather minimal though, I would raise hopes towards further expansion of this area is a potential post Sonic to engulf and give that entire area one singular name (something I've always felt needed in that corner) with the addition of a new coaster of the Mack YoungStar variety...

The focus on a playground/activity stuff shows an interesting potential route for them, as kids love interactive stuff and the tents might become the most popular aspect...

Very interesting stuff here.

Though no new rides is a worry for me, the thought that they might do something on the lines of shows could be interesting times ahead. Pity they couldn't use the old tent somehow, though with it out of use for so long, guess it was bound to happen soon enough for it to go.

That being said, it look's no a bad size for a Mack YoungStar coaster to be placed there. Remember Merlin, it's never too late! *hint hint!* :p

Quick question, will there definately be no new rides? Or would new rides not need to be mentioned on these plans?

The area falls under GDO so they could (permitting everything falls within the limits) build a new ride or some new attractions.

However this would have been mentioned on the plans along with everything else (everything is usually mentioned to give the development clarity) - so it's pretty much confirmed there will be no new rides or attractions next year!

Unless they reveal huge plans for a wooden coaster going across the valley tomorrow. You know, just to complement the massive investment in family fun for next year...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.