• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: Family Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't see how that tweet possibly lends itself to any rumours? Bottletop may have worked for Alton before, but their previous tweets mention them working on new titles for a CBeebies TV show and retweet design competitions from CITV. The use of 'Towers' means basically nothing as well as people call their headquarters '____ Towers' all the time...

I think we're reading into things too far here :)

Scott said:
I don't see how that tweet possibly lends itself to any rumours? Bottletop may have worked for Alton before, but their previous tweets mention them working on new titles for a CBeebies TV show and retweet design competitions from CITV. The use of 'Towers' means basically nothing as well as people call their headquarters '____ Towers' all the time...

I would've thought that too but there have been some strong rumours of the 2014 attraction being based on these channels...

Andrew said:
Scott said:

I would've thought that too but there have been some strong rumours of the 2014 attraction being based on these channels...
That may be true but there are two more things that dissuade me from this idea...

Firstly, I highly doubt that two rival companies (BBC and ITV) would allow their products to be used together in a theme park environment as it would involve co-operation between two channels directly in competition. Secondly, I would have thought CBeebies was maybe too young of an audience for the supposed developments next year.

Plus I think the previous tweets they have made really back this up.

I genuinely hope this is unrelated to Alton Towers. Having looked through what Cbeebies and CITV offer, nothing stands out as being something that I'd want translating into a theme park experience.

Especially not at Alton Towers, anyway.

See, I'm on the opposite side that either of those would be perfect for Alton Towers. Given those are the two main channels children will be hooked onto it would make perfect sense to have one or the other. Marketing wise it would also work incredibly for Alton Towers and BBC or ITV - it's a win-win situation.

My only concern now is that there will be too much focus on the IP with little attention to the ride/attractions and areas themselves. We all know too well how an IP can go tits up (Charlie). Although it could work well. I'm not wholly fussed on IPs, but hopefully Alton can be trusted this time around.

Yeah it would make perfect sense to have a CITV/CBBC/CBeebies thing going on but I don't think that tweet proves anything - particularly as surely the park would only work with one channel and not two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

What makes a good / popular TV programme doesn't necessarily mean it makes a good basis for a theme park area or attraction.

It's easy to slap a theme onto a selection of rides plucked at random from a Zamperla catalogue, but Alton Towers should and needs to strive for more than what the Pleasure Beach achieved with Nickelodeon Land.

We don't want to be in the position of losing an area to a selection of rides that have nothing going for them other than loosely being based on a TV show. That's not what Alton Towers is about, and that isn't what proper theme parks are about either.

What they need is something that can not just attract guests based on the IP, but wow them and make them want to return in the future. Short term thinking may very well ruin yet another area of the park.

The tweet means nothing, they have referenced their place of work as 'towers' before, and they do a fair bit of work for CBBC/CBeebies/CITV, just check their website!

Unfortunately I think you will be disappointed Al, this area will certainly be a broad IP with lots of individual IP's within.

It's going to very much be in the vein of nickelodeon land in my opinion, it's the only option that will cover what is currently 3 areas of the park easily.

I'm okay with individual IPs so long as they're the right ones. Obviously I'd prefer no IPs but if they think they have no choice then they could at least chose ones that can translate into effective themed experiences, not just rides with a few 'themed' signs and a matching colour scheme.

I did say I wouldn't mind a mixture when I mentioned the idea of basing attractions on a range of popular classic children's books (ones that compliment each other, rather than clash). Obviously that wouldn't be an instant attention grabber as rides based on TV shows or movies but the concept works for other parks in both the UK and abroad, so there's no reason for why that wouldn't work at Alton Towers.

A British based IP such as a national children's TV service could be great though, I'm not sure what's on kids TV these days as I am not a parent but I'm sure it can be done well.

I would rather a British children's TV channel IP than some plastic American IP.

There are one or two shows on Milkshake that could work (already mentioned Rupert).

All I want to see is something that's more than just themed rides dotted carelessly around. The Farmyard was clever as it looked like a Farmyard rather than a selection of farm themed rides.

The worst children's areas are those with lots of cheap plastic looking rides covered with logo's, vinyl's and cardboard cutout characters...

CoasterCrazyChris said:
The worst children's areas are those with lots of cheap plastic looking rides covered with logo's, vinyl's and cardboard cutout characters...
Isn't that all children's areas?

DiogoJ42 said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
Isn't that all children's areas?

Yeah, I suppose. But specifically those that use IP branding and logo's in place of actual theming.

:)

If they're picking any of the childrens' television, the only one that makes much sense is CBBC. The other two aren't as popular.

I'd love a Doctor Who based area, but I don't think it's what we're getting, despite the fact it would bring in huge crowds.

Johno said:
If they're picking any of the childrens' television, the only one that makes much sense is CBBC. The other two aren't as popular.

I'd love a Doctor Who based area, but I don't think it's what we're getting, despite the fact it would bring in huge crowds.
I think CBBC is a aimed at an older audience, I (embarrassingly) still watch it sometimes, and all the kids who phone in, and are apart of the channel are about 9 or 10. An most of the programmes now are reality, or soap stories so I can see it being hard to build up rides and themeing.

I doubt it will be CBBC. CBeebies would be more suited as that is aimed at young children.

CBBC: Older children - wide variety of programming.
CBeebies: Younger children - programs specifically made for under 12s.

Both channels are suited for children under 12. Although CBeebies would be the more obvious one to go with when we look at the areas that are being rethemed and what the channel offers.

James said:
CBeebies: Younger children - programs specifically made for under 12s.

Incorrect, sorry! According to the BBC, it's aimed specifically at the under 6s and I have to say, if you've ever watched it, that's pushing it high.

Here are some typical shows from each for those who don't have younger siblings or spend their lonely, lonely hours watching children's television with enthusiasm;

CBBC:
- MI High (a series following tweenage spies as they foil evil plots from their school).
- Tracy Beaker (a series about children in a home known as the Dumping Ground).
- Sarah Jane Adventures (a spin-off series following the ex-assistant of the Doctor as she investigates extraterrestrial happenings with a group of teenagers from her street).

Cbeebies:
- Postman Pat (long running children's show following a postman as he delivers letters in his postal van around a countryside village).
- Bob the Builder (long running children's show following a builder and his talking machines as they construct buildings for the people of their town).
- Mike the Knight (children's CGI show in which a boy who is a medieval style knight rides around on his horse, solving problems and defeating the mean Vikings).

I personally think that the latter would translate better into the theme park environment.

Going back to the Beatrix Potter idea a few pages back, I still think that sounds like a great idea and one I'd love to see. Sure it may not be popular, but I think it would fit the farm perfectly for some reason. Alas it won't happen because of the popular :(

For the CBBC idea, I'm not really a fan of it, but it sounds better than stuff like Moshi Monsters.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.