• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: General Discussion

Didn't they once advertise Haunted Hollow as one of the 'attractions' open for Feb half term?

Back to ERT, ideally I'd like it to be arranged in one of two ways:
* open a range of attractions in adjacent areas, so you can ride each one many times
* open the most popular attractions park-wide, so you can avoid the worst queues later on

The current ERT set-up achieves neither. Adding Oblivion certainly helps pad out the line up a little as it would look very sparse otherwise, but I'd rather have had almost any other coaster instead apart from Thirteen:

Air - near Nemesis so fewer long walks during ERT, gets moderate queues
Spinball - always has a long queue, I rarely ride as a result
Rita - as with Spinball, but even worse
Smiler - opens with a huge queue and remains busy all day.

Based on what I'm looking to get from ERT, the only possible three coaster line up worse than the one currently on offer would be Nemesis, Oblivion & Thirteen - an even more spaced out set of coasters (lower maximum ERT ride count) and attracting the shortest queues (minimal time savings).

I would really like Spinball to be in the mix and think it would be doable, certainly The Smiler should be in it next year but i can see why they have avoided it this season as it needs more time to run-in after last years mess up.

I miss Spinball being on ERT, it was ideal as it's so close to the entrance, and most of the time was the best chance to get on it as it gets those horrendous queues later in the day. I would be very pleased if they put it back on ERT at some point in the near future. :)

ID say add Spinball or 13, a family coaster just to add a little more variety.

They did have TH13TEEN Last year (or some of the year), but the problem is they need a certain amount of people before they can send the train, and on quiet days you could be waiting ages and ages for enough guests. Rita was much better on ERT.

djtruefitt said:
They did have TH13TEEN Last year (or some of the year), but the problem is they need a certain amount of people before they can send the train, and on quiet days you could be waiting ages and ages for enough guests. Rita was much better on ERT.

We wont get Rita again due to technical reasons, Spinball would be good though.

Has Rita really got that much worse in the last couple of years?

Such a shame, as it's one of my favourite rides in the park yet we hardly ever ride it as pretty much everyone else refuses to queue more than about 5 minutes for it.

John said:
Has Rita really got that much worse in the last couple of years?

Such a shame, as it's one of my favourite rides in the park yet we hardly ever ride it as pretty much everyone else refuses to queue more than about 5 minutes for it.

It's almost hard to believe it will be 10 years old next year.

We can celebrate it by throwing a testimonial before tearing it to scrap and selling it off to build something good...

djtruefitt said:

Why did you have to wait for a certain amount of people? What part was too slow?

Tom.B said:
djtruefitt said:

Why did you have to wait for a certain amount of people? What part was too slow?

I believe it's so it doesn't stall as it approaches the final hill before the second lift hill. It has stalled there before during testing I believe.

Rita is an odd one. I agree with John, it is also one of my favourite rides in the park, and I find the launch absolutely exhilarating (yes, even if Stealth's is a tad more powerful). The rest of the layout, while not great, is interesting and very different to every other launch coaster that came before it. I'd like to do it more often.

But what's wrong with the ride? We all know rides can degrade over the season before their winter maintenance, but Rita actually seems to be getting worse from a maintenance perspective over a number of years. What is causing this, and why have they not fixed it? I can only presume that the ride is due for a major technical refurbishment, perhaps finding solutions to increase reliability that improve over what originally came with the ride.

F1rGSwh.gif

The graph above shows the 'bath tub curve' that roughly describes the reliability of a single piece of technology over its lifetime. From 2005 to 2007, Rita had high unreliability due to being new, and was probably in the 'Deceasing Failure Rate' stage. After a period of stability, it now worryingly appears to be in the 'Increasing Failure Rate' stage. Which leads to the question... when the ride reaches breaking point, will the park go for an expensive refurbishment to wind back the clock, or just scrap it?

How is Rita getting worse? Unless I'm missing something - there hasn't seemed to have been any obvious tell-tale signs that it's getting worse over the years.

Actually when it comes to Rita, surely the big question for this year is whether or not it will still be covered in scaffolding?

I think it was still there during FHT, I'm not holding out much hope for it to be fixed.

Am I imagining it, or have a load of posts including mine disappeared for no obvious reason?

EDIT:
(NOPE THEY MOVED TO FENCING DISCUSSION LOL!)

Just a request to mods, if you move discussion like that, can you just post a link to where it's gone please?

Merlin have asked TS to remove all the fencing posts as it was upsetting them :(

Just kidding, they have been moved to a new thread :)

Ian