• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: General Discussion

Nah it's deffo a case of.. lets get people on park type marketing, not "lets have the same amount of people on park and make less revenue"

To be fair, Towers have always done little things like this. I remember when I first went in 2004 they were letting accountants in for free as they are often classed as boring, so my dad got in for free (think you had to buy an adult ticket as well to get this so it was effectively a 2 for1). Of course you do them to generate more revenue.

:)

Towers have today announced the "Whirled Cup of Rides" - some kind of head to head WC style competition to find the best ride overall. Starts tomorrow. :p

The name gave me a chuckle at least ;)

10371692_10152420854001201_4050642493655202554_n.jpg

Nice idea! Should be a bit of fun and it's good to see them getting into the World Cup spirit in their own way.

Like the name and I like the idea. It's a bit like the vote they did for the coasters a couple of summers ago and we know how popular that was!

Appears this will be a knockout tournament type affair though - very similar to what the US Disney resorts do earlier on in the year to tie in with sports over there.

Alton Towers have extended ride close to 6.30pm on Saturday and Sunday due to "good weather forecasts" (read good advance ticket sales). It's good that they have, it is just frustrating that they didn't at times earlier in the season when the weather was even nicer! A step forward but they still need to be more reactive on the day.

Many parks extend on the day, including Thorpe, Chessie and Drayton here in the UK. EP do indeed also extend, standard close is 6pm but they do often extend past that depending how busy it is or what the weather is like on the day.

Good to see they are planning ahead - pushing online tickets really helps with this kind of thing.

As Rob said though, they need to be more reactive on days that are spontaneously busy...

Can't believe what I've seen on Facebook about a child getting out of a Flume boat on the final lift hill, causing the ride to be E-stopped and a full evacuation. Crazy!

I saw this on Facebook and couldn't really figure out what had happened! So he actually got out a boat? (Photo looked like a boy so going on this assumption)

You'd like to think that he just decided himself to do this but in reality surely the parents/guardians were totally aware of this and potentially could have been the ones who said "Awk it's alright son, just get off" :grimacing:

Is the full evac just common procedure? Would the e-stop not have been enough until they removed the child?

I think that once the ride has been e-stopped it must be full evacuated before it is started up again (as the start up process can take quite a while)

Super opening hours today - 10 till 6.30pm.

Credit to Towers. Queues were largely fine but there were loads of people around!

Super opening hours today - 10 till 6.30pm.

Credit to Towers. Queues were largely fine but there were loads of people around!
How busy was the park late on? I fear if this weekend went badly then they won't look to do it more this summer...

There were still waits on a few rides.

Rapids was 15 minutes at 6pm. Smiler was 45.

Forbidden Valley was quiet, however.

Towers St. and general thoroughfares were still populated.

It seemed to be some sort of Scottish schools day today, lots of coach parties from north of the border in the park this morning.
Busy but enjoyable with a 6 30 ride close.