• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: General Discussion

In regards to the VAT thing, at least they have stopped what they did a few years ago when they displayed the before VAT price in massive writing, then the price you pay in tiny print underneath.

Yeah, at least it's now in small writing at the bottom. Must still confuse a small percentage of guests though. It's hardly like people care about it or can do anything!

Still, I suppose it's better than 2011 when they had posters as:

Our Price: £34
+
VAT: £6.80
=
You Pay: £40.80

Just as I say that I look at the Alton Towers website and they still carry out the confusing structure with VAT on the tickets page:

d0iz.png

It's so unnecessary!

It's hardly confusing. I agree it's unnecessary showing VAT, it's not like anyone could claim it back as a business expense! We all know we pay tax. Imagine if petrol stations did that: 40p a litre !! + fuel tax + VAT = You pay £1.40 Yay!

TowersStreet have received an email which suggests a number of rides and attractions will be opening later than the normal park opening in the 2014 season. These changes, which are believed to be due to cost cutting, will affect a number of rides in Forbidden Valley and in other areas across the rest of the park.

In 2012 a number of rides including Air, Th13teen, Duel, Skyride, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Wobble World, Battle Galleons and the Driving School began opening late due to cost saving measures, but the decision was reversed around a week after TowersStreet first broke the news. However, the reduction in the 10am opening ride lineup is said to be mostly different to the rides cut in 2012 and do not include any roller coasters.

The decision on these cuts comes months after Merlin Entertainments (plc) received an injection of investment after successfully floating on the London Stock Exchange. These cost saving measures also follow on from the recent controversy due to a change in how Merlin Annual Pass drinks quenchers operate, meaning they will now cost regular visitors more money than the old system did.

A spokesperson for Alton Towers Resort provided the following statement to TowersStreet:

“The Alton Towers Resort represents excellent value for money for a unique short break for the whole family. With the investment in two major new attractions over the past two years, The Smiler and CBeebies Land, together with a host of other exciting world class thrill rides and unique experiences, we continue to reinforce our position as the UK’s favourite Theme Park.

Our operating season remains amongst the longest of any similar attraction type in the UK, running as it does for the half term week in February and then from 22nd March until the 9th November this year, and we’ve always adopted a flexible approach to ride opening and closing times throughout the season. We have for example always closed earlier during our shoulder periods of March, April, May and September when the weather is usually poorer and guest demand, and throughput, is therefore far lower.

Our busiest times are still during the October half term when we are open until 9pm. Our incredible Scarefest event brings in hundreds of thousands of families from across the UK, as do the end of season Firework Spectaculars. This year will therefore be no different to any other and all rides will be subject to variable opening and closing times which will be confirmed on the day. We believe any changes we may make will have minimal impact on the overall guest experience but of course we will monitor guest feedback on a daily basis and review all of our operations regularly as appropriate.”

Although unconfirmed by the resort the above suggests that any ride opening changes will be subject to guest numbers and reviewed regularly.

In previous years there have been threats to cut Submission and Enterprises opening hours due to The Smiler construction, but the decision was reversed. Widespread 4pm ride closes during off-peak days was also suggested, but was reversed after a number of complaints hit Alton Towers Resort communication channels. These latest rumours come alongside the loss of Submission, which has been retired this season by the resort.

Here we go again...

If it's small rides then I'm not too bothered but if it's main rides or areas then I will be. I can see many people being quite angry at this if it turns out to be true...

I'm just waiting for the reversal statement from them in a few weeks if this does turn out to be the case.

It will be intresting to look dates statements like that come out, and the changes in the share price.

Now which rides are the most costly to run and never have a queue in the first hour?

Poor Terry, always getting put down :(

What would be better is if they open the park for ert guests at 10am. Other guests can come in, but turn towers street into anarea where people can have a decent breakfast and coffee to start the day. At 11am, everyone is let in and ask rides arefully functional. On a peak day, extend the opening hours. This way people in the hotel can get up a little later and enjoy breakfast, staff don't have to start so early, people don't have to rush to the park so early and towers getto make some money from doing a decent breakfast trade. Obviously, the current eateries would need to be modernised and made more appealing, maybe even build a diner near the entrance maybe in the priority parking bit so people can eat before even going through the entrance, and keep it open after close so people can havea bite to eat before getting in their cars to gohome.

By 11am, there are often already up to 10,000 guests on park.

You can't have most of them hanging around Towers Street. People want to get on and ride!

My main worry with these possible late openings is more that touring the park becomes really awkward as you'd end up double backing on yourself to get everything done.

They'd better not touch Skyride, that's for sure.

These sort of announcements are designed to directly INCREASE share price due to a reduction in overheads.

Is anyone else disappointed that there was no butchering of the human language to suggest that this was a good thing?

I was disappointed that there wasn't an announcement that after taking customer feedback they are adding magic to the day by staggering ride openings so that there was always something new to look forward to each hour.

Enk27 said:
Is anyone else disappointed that there was no butchering of the human language to suggest that this was a good thing?

I was disappointed that there wasn't an announcement that after taking customer feedback they are adding magic to the day by staggering ride openings so that there was always something new to look forward to each hour.

Towers generally don't BS as much as Merlin Annual Pass team, that's not to say they can't spin with the best of them :)

I think as long as this happens on quiet days with the quieter attractions then they could get away with this (just). Budgets are always an issue at Towers so can't blame them being forced to cut operations. It's not ideal but then they can't do much about it!

I'm surprised no one has bothered speaking about the farm animals now departing the resort.

I think it's highly disappointing. I was honestly hoping to see the animals somehow incorporated into CBeebies Land. They've spent years and years expanding the farm back into its former glory and families have loved it. Seems another step backwards all in favour for an IP.

I feel like I've been writing this every year for the past five or so, but Alton Towers is too large, too expensive to visit and open for so few hours, that it's nonsense that the choice to ride whatever you want isn't there from 10AM. This policy was enforced during the darkest days of DIC around 2004 and it made the park a very frustrating place to be for a few hours everyday.

Charging £48 for one adult to enter, only to leave them with a few rides open, is quite frankly, in my opinion absolutely outrageous. Such a decision will scupper any plans I had to visit.

To be fair (and I'm not trying to be an apologist for Merlin/Towers here), it may not make too much difference at the moment. If it's the case that it will be some rides opening at 11am instead of 10am (for example), there will still be other good rides open within this time and as The Smiler is relatively new, most guests just head there and queue from when they arrive anyway.

Obviously, the proof will be in the pudding and it depends just how many of the attractions are cut, and for how long. As I think has been alluded to, the main attractions such as The Smiler should be open from 10am.

Apologies if I've missed something, but on the face of it, this doesn't seem too bad (in theory).

You haven't missed anything, and you're correct, many people do go to The Smiler and the like first of all. But the point is, they really shouldn't have to; guests should be able to ride whatever they want, and whenever they want. It just represents bad value for money.

The farm animals moving out is a disappointment, most of them (with the exception of the guinea pigs who looked cramped) seemed to like the new surroundings at the hotel.

Its a shame that another non ride attraction is being removed because visiting the animals was a nice way to break up the day when the queues were too big.

They should have created a small mini farm area behind Twirling Toadstool.

Alas, they're off. It is a shame. I quite liked the park having animals.