• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: General Discussion

BarryZola said:
Did anyone notice if the ruins were open? If so, how much of them?

The ruins were not open at all no. It looked like there was a bit of work taking place in some areas.

:)

However, it looked like all the the Scare Mazes had been taken down, which means they should hopefully be open longer than 2 weeks this season.

As Rob said, there was some work taking place, which is hopefully a sign of more to come, although it looked like there was only 1 person working on it.

Ian

Stevie said:
The old CT's in the Octagon in Hex, have been replaced with flat screens. Much to my distaste, totally out of place and leave a distracting glow before the curtain rises.

Don't like them.

So you would rather have 3 working TVs and 1 broken TV which was tinted red for most of last season?

That's sad to hear. Even the latest OLEDs are still no match for a good old fashioned electron beam. CRTs fitted the theme. Though by the sound of it they probably could be improved by a few simple tweaks like turning the backlight to minimum and a quick line up. Give me ten minutes and a remote... ;)

There's something about flatscreen LED TV's that just look a bit too ordinary and boring in most themed environments.

Can't beat a good old retro flickering TV.

Quite ironic how everyone has been clamoring for Towers to replace all the old CRT's around the park, and now they've pretty much done it and everyone's complaining that they should have kept them :p

Alastair said:
Quite ironic how everyone has been clamoring for Towers to replace all the old CRT's around the park, and now they've pretty much done it and everyone's complaining that they should have kept them :p

It's embarrassing that they took so long to replace the ones in places like the Monorail stations.

However old TV's look cooler in themed environments because we no longer see them in the 'ordinary' world outside of theme parks as they have all been replaced.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Alastair said:

It's embarrassing that they took so long to replace the ones in places like the Monorail stations.

However old TV's look cooler in themed environments because we no longer see them in the 'ordinary' world outside of theme parks as they have all been replaced.

Yeah I know, I agree that the CRT's did fit with the theming of Hex. Just had to point out the irony of the situation ;)

In places like the monorail and Oblivion's queues, flat screens are an obvious improvement. But for hex, the older style is better.
Also, the static picture break up on the video is only possible with an analogue signal. A modern digital screen cannot produce those effects.

Unfortunately if you want to replace a broken CRT, fitting a flat screen is a much more cost effective solution than getting old CRTs refurbed or finding a set of working ones in this day and age. Bear in mind AV equipment at theme parks is used very heavily, and it's not really like brand new high spec CRTs are commonplace (if they exist at all).

Tower of Terror had the same problem last season, they put LCDs in each pre show room and guests have complained they give off too much light, as well as ruining the illusion that the TV is turning on by itself. I don't have too much of a problem as the ones on TOT are at least hidden behind a mock shell of an old set. Are the new ones in hex dressed up at all or are is it literally like Merlin Studios went down Tesco and bulk bought some Technikas?

Stevie said:
The old CT's in the Octagon in Hex, have been replaced with flat screens. Much to my distaste, totally out of place and leave a distracting glow before the curtain rises.

Don't like them.

I think Towers have done a good job making them look as un flat screen as possible. I was expecting it to be a lot worse, and was pleasantly surprised how okay I found it.

Yes there is a glare at the end, but it seemed a lot lighter in there than normal.

Ian

Johno said:
Are the yellow stripes on the tracks marks? Doesn't look great...

Yeah they're marks from the wheels. Don't really understand how that's happened to be honest.

Maybe testing over closed season? Different types of wheels being tested against track? Wouldn't surprise me if they've been doing all sorts with the trains as well as the track.

I was wondering if it might be rust, caused by the coaster not running. Similar the car disc brakes, after it has rained, they appear rusty, but after a short drive, it clears away?

Ian

Those marks are nothing new. They started developing before The Smiler even opened last year and have progressively got worse.

IanB said:
I was wondering if it might be rust, caused by the coaster not running. Similar the car disc brakes, after it has rained, they appear rusty, but after a short drive, it clears away?

Ian

Those marks were there at the end of last season though...and they don't appear equally over the whole track - only parts of it.