• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Alton Towers Enchanted Village

It's a super pedantic point (sorry) but regarding the CS's 'Wild mushroom and Dolce latté risotto' - the cheese is 'dolcelatte', so if read literally the restaurant serves 'Wild mushroom and sweet milky coffee risotto' (not that latte has an e acute) which is likely to be less delicious.

One of the things I found most depressing about this when following the development of this is just how identical all of the lame cabins are. There has been zero effort at all to make the standard lodges look at all different to each other - it's a case of buy one model in bulk because it's cheaper and easier to do it that way. For example, not even the roofs have been even rotated at all, let alone varied in style, so it just becomes super obvious that each lodge is exactly the same prefab structure. Standing in the middle of one of the circles, they'll all look completely alike. As well as playing with the roofs, they could have altered the claddings instead of all having them the same plain yellow, or the doors or windows etc etc etc - how about a more log cabin feel to some of them? Some in pale pastel reds or greens? Plant some genuine vines to grow up the sides? Too much effort?

Following on from that, why not at least try and bring some variation to each group of six or so lodges? For example, what about giving each 'street' it's own identity, such as having Mushroom mews (giant mushrooms etc), Waterfall walk (a water feature/bubbling stream running over rocks in the centre area), Vegetable view (huge novelty vegetables integrated into the climbing frames) or any idea come up with in two minutes as I just did that is at least more interesting than just repeating the same thing over and over and over again.

Because of their prefab-built nature, they look so flimsy to me and I keep thinking that any noise from the adjacent room would be so loud. If you have a group of friends next to a family then I'd imagine there could be frustration, especially when people have paid so much to be there.

This is all in addition to the points everyone else has made - how depressingly middle of the road and mediocre. It could have been so much more and it wouldn't have even taken much thought to do. The comparisons with some of the other parks and accommodations (both in Europa and the UK) say it all. Even the fencing here was selected off-the-shelf with so little thought it's only when installed that they've realised how awful it looks. I really don't know why you'd pay more for this, and people will regret it all the more when it rains and they get soaked on their way to a too-small boring restaurant to eat mushroom risotto with milky coffee.

Following on from that, why not at least try and bring some variation to each group of six or so lodges? For example, what about giving each 'street' it's own identity, such as having Mushroom mews (giant mushrooms etc), Waterfall walk (a water feature/bubbling stream running over rocks in the centre area), Vegetable view (huge novelty vegetables integrated into the climbing frames) or any idea come up with in two minutes as I just did that is at least more interesting than just repeating the same thing over and over and over again.

What shocks me is that they couldn't even be bothered to build even a single water feature or lake of any description ANYWHERE on the development (unless I'm missing something). Just totally unimaginative and lazy.

"Our research shows that parents think open water of any kind presents a major hazard to their children".

Meh.

Of course AT will blame the planners as the first plan that didn't go ahead had three or four different lodge designs including hobbit holes. Although the real reason is obviously to make them uniform as it is cheaper. They could have at least painted some different colours.

This is alton towers..... the land of, "meh, this will do". Gone are the days when effort was made to really finish off a job properly, as long as it will pass for ok and bring in the money, they will roll with it.

Cant remember who mentioned it on the previous page who stayed there.... but.... I would have taken my complaint to guest relations, pointed out all it said on their website and demanded a partial refund as the place isnt finished yet. Although, if i'm honest, I think it probably is finished really, I wouldnt get your hopes up for anything more than this.

And yes, I can see noise being a major problem in the busy summer months between the cabins.

It's a super pedantic point (sorry) but regarding the CS's 'Wild mushroom and Dolce latté risotto' - the cheese is 'dolcelatte', so if read literally the restaurant serves 'Wild mushroom and sweet milky coffee risotto' (not that latte has an e acute) which is likely to be less delicious.

One of the things I found most depressing about this when following the development of this is just how identical all of the lame cabins are. There has been zero effort at all to make the standard lodges look at all different to each other - it's a case of buy one model in bulk because it's cheaper and easier to do it that way. For example, not even the roofs have been even rotated at all, let alone varied in style, so it just becomes super obvious that each lodge is exactly the same prefab structure. Standing in the middle of one of the circles, they'll all look completely alike. As well as playing with the roofs, they could have altered the claddings instead of all having them the same plain yellow, or the doors or windows etc etc etc - how about a more log cabin feel to some of them? Some in pale pastel reds or greens? Plant some genuine vines to grow up the sides? Too much effort?

Because of their prefab-built nature, they look so flimsy to me and I keep thinking that any noise from the adjacent room would be so loud. If you have a group of friends next to a family then I'd imagine there could be frustration, especially when people have paid so much to be there.

This is all in addition to the points everyone else has made - how depressingly middle of the road and mediocre. It could have been so much more and it wouldn't have even taken much thought to do. The comparisons with some of the other parks and accommodations (both in Europa and the UK) say it all. Even the fencing here was selected off-the-shelf with so little thought it's only when installed that they've realised how awful it looks. I really don't know why you'd pay more for this, and people will regret it all the more when it rains and they get soaked on their way to a too-small boring restaurant to eat mushroom risotto with milky coffee.
And to be even more pedantic, latte in Italian translates to milk. If you got to Italy and ask for a latte you will be given a glass of milk. Cafe latte is milky coffee. So the dish would be wild mushroom and sweet milky risotto which makes more sense! :p

I completely agree with your points on variation though. Even little details on each lodge to add variation would make a big difference to the overall look and feel of the area. They have not gone the extra mile that all top theme parks would go to make this something special. I still think bland sums it all up pretty well.

:)

If there were any water features I'd presume they'd then have to ensure that no-one runs into it and build a 6ft perimeter fence around it...

I'm surprised they haven't had this happen at the main hotel actually, especially with the rocks in the pond...

Being a boring fart had a look into projectors for mapping. Looks like outdoor projectors for that sort of work cost about £50,000 (indoor ones are cheaper).

There is no way a Merlin accountant would ok that, all the monies are for Varney!

Not sure how the location of assembly of the lodges bearing on the quality of the finished product and they will be compliant with building regs for sound insulation like any other kind of accommodation.

Got ever stayed in the alton towers or splash landings hotels? ?? The noise in those is amazing so it's only natural that a hollow prefab box on a hollow floor is going to sound even louder....

Got ever stayed in the alton towers or splash landings hotels? ?? The noise in those is amazing so it's only natural that a hollow prefab box on a hollow floor is going to sound even louder....

When we woke up on Monday morning we thought someone was in the lodge next door as could hear gids running about through the floor, there wasn't anyone in it though! It was the next detached lodge along we could hear!

And a normal £300 projector would do just housed in something, they do it with many of the TVS, theycould even have put it in the crooked spoon pointing through a window.

Thing is, they dont need any fancy projections on lodges. There is the "enchanted tree" I believe, why not just have a light, with a rotating gel thing over it, which changes colour and lights up the tree. Maybe with some small led lights over it which come on and flash "as if by magic" every few minutes, maybe a sound effect to go with it. Nothing too expensive, very do-able, just needs a bit of effort...... oh....wait....

yes yes I know, but, this is Merlin we are talking about. A coloured wheel with some stickback plastic mounted on an old yoghurt pot made by a 10 year Blue Peter fan is far cheaper than a modern colour changing LED light. ;)

I'm no projector expert but I believe the cost is more to do with needing a brighter projector and quality issues compared to indoor ones.

I thought I would leave judgement until it was finished, and holy cow, I don't know why I expected anything better than the absolute mess that's been created - the sad thing being hard working folks are actually going to be spending their money on this rubbish - and lets face it is isn't cheap.

It seems all they've done is created a fancy name and logo, made a few log cabins crooked and come to the conclusion they can charge people extortionate amounts to stay here. What is enchanted about these ghastly yellow huts sitting in a field? At least plant some trees. What is wrong with this company today - the sad thing is people will actually pay to stay here. I'd rather go to Centre Parcs any day of the week. The restaurant/rectangular shed is an absolute joke/eyesore too.

Have I just grown up or has this company seriously lost the plot?